FPS+Hz and antialiasing!!!!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
charliegomes

FPS+Hz and antialiasing!!!!

Post by charliegomes » 25 Nov 2018, 10:59

Hello, is someone know it is best for input lag and clarity (pro player here) if my fps are avg. 260 in games drops to 140 of course this set in nvidia panel :

Gsync on
pre rendered frames "1"
Vsync "on"
In game config 162fps cap
Or something other?

My monitor is 165hz gsync ips (aoc ag271qg)

And other question is

+fxaa or taa is better for fps games (i want good graphic without blur)

Thanks so much for every answer!! Have a good day..
Last edited by charliegomes on 25 Nov 2018, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: FPS+Hz and antialiasing!!!!

Post by RealNC » 25 Nov 2018, 11:23

Your setup is correct. If you run your monitor at 165Hz, then an in-game cap of 162FPS will make sure you don't get input lag.

As for which AA setting to use, that's up to you. TAA usually has more blur, FXAA has more pixelation. But not always. It depends on how the game implements these AA methods. But you can just see that for yourself. You can just take a screenshot with FXAA and one with TAA and compare them.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 25 Nov 2018, 13:49

charliegomes wrote:+fxaa or taa is better for fps games (i want good graphic without blur)
If you want "no" blur, neither of those.

FXAA is a post process AA technique that mostly affects the highest contrast edges in a scene and basically attempts to darken/blend them to reduce aliasing, but blurs the whole screen in doing so, and it still doesn't do much for highly oblique-angled or sub-pixel edges.

TAA takes information from the previous frame and blends it with the next frame to reduce aliasing, and applies best in motion. This method also creates blur (often a bit more than FXAA), but, unlike FXAA, it usually solidifies sub-pixel elements, and eliminates sub-pixel shimmering, which is caused by fine-lined in-game assets such as wires, railing, stairs, as well as any shiny elements such as the edges of reflective metal, etc. Do note, unlike FXAA, some TAA implementations can create ghosting or other artifacts due to frame blending, but good TAA still has the best coverage (both for static scenes and in motion) of any post process AA method currently available.

Then there's SMAA, which is natively available in some games, and can also be injected with Reshade. Standard SMAA is basically FXAA with slightly better edge detection and no blur, but without the blur, you lose some coverage.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2018, 00:57

If you mean motion blur, then most plain AA modes doesn’t interfere with motion blur.

If you mean spatial blur, then yep, it does slightly “soften” in exchange for making pixelly edges disappear.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!