What would be the optimal settings for Brawlhalla?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Khysarth

What would be the optimal settings for Brawlhalla?

Post by Khysarth » 02 Dec 2018, 19:00

Brawlhalla is a 2d fighting game its basically a copy of super smash bros
The game is locked to 60 frames and has no in game settings

I currently have a AW2518H 240hz G sync monitor and I'm looking for the settings to give me the best competitive edge

Edit: just looking for a short answer on the settings I should use

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: What would be the optimal settings for Brawlhalla?

Post by RealNC » 03 Dec 2018, 18:52

Fullscreen mode instead of borderless, and g-sync with the highest refresh rate will give the best results in 60FPS locked games. So use 240Hz and enable g-sync. It's usually best to disable vsync in the in-game settings. In the NVidia panel, you should use either vsync ON or OFF.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Khysarth

Post by Khysarth » 05 Dec 2018, 20:23

RealNC wrote:Fullscreen mode instead of borderless, and g-sync with the highest refresh rate will give the best results in 60FPS locked games. So use 240Hz and enable g-sync. It's usually best to disable vsync in the in-game settings. In the NVidia panel, you should use either vsync ON or OFF.
Why do you say v sync on or off

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Dec 2018, 20:57

Khysarth wrote:
RealNC wrote:Fullscreen mode instead of borderless, and g-sync with the highest refresh rate will give the best results in 60FPS locked games. So use 240Hz and enable g-sync. It's usually best to disable vsync in the in-game settings. In the NVidia panel, you should use either vsync ON or OFF.
Why do you say v sync on or off
Because I don't recommend the other settings (like "adaptive" or "fast") when using g-sync. With g-sync, I recommend either ON or OFF. I use OFF by default, and I only set it to ON for games where I can see tearing. Using ON does not add input lag in FPS capped games, but I use OFF because ON can in rare cases add stutter.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2018, 19:54

If you framerate-cap your GSYNC to avoid the side effects of hitting your VRR maximum -- then most of the time you really don't need to configure your preferred sync tech if your framerate never exceeds the cap.

If your framerate is RTSS-capped to 237fps and never hits >240fps, then GSYNC+VSYNC ON versus GSYNC+VSYNC OFF has no effect on your input lag. Less accurate caps may occasionally cause transient fluctuations (e.g. an inaccurate 237 cap may jitter, e.g. some refresh cycles are 1/234sec and some refresh cycles are 1/241sec .... The too-fast refresh cycles will trigger the use of the alternate sync tech.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!