First sub 1ms monitors are comming out

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
open

Re: First sub 1ms monitors are comming out

Post by open » 07 Dec 2018, 13:16

The acer website still has 0.5ms all over it. Hopefully that is a bestbuy mistake about the msi. And I agree I would wait for the dust to settle a bit and try to get a 0.5ms if I was paying that much. Sucks that its so hard to find objective info on these things.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 07 Dec 2018, 15:33

yehaw wrote:Looks like they're being advertised as 1ms now and no longer 0.5ms :
And as expected, way overpriced. I don't see many people buying this when you can get 240hz panels for $250-$300.
It's g-sync model with regular price for it. Where are $250 models? IIRC msi announced another model with 0.5ms not this one.

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 09 Dec 2018, 17:00

$350 right now at Best Buy!

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 09 Dec 2018, 17:14

The MSI site is also not advertising 0.5ms, it's now listed as 1ms -
https://us.msi.com/monitor/Oculux-NXG251R.html

So if you wanted to try lower response times, might be a bit risky buy. Really weird that they advertised it as 0.5ms at all their events leading up to the launch, then release and it's advertised as 1ms.

Still glad to see the price come down, much more reasonable. I didn't expect it to do well at $500.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Dec 2018, 21:39

zivko wrote:Why glossy panel? Personal preference or is there some technical reason why its better?
Some people prefer glossy panels because they have a sharper image and less brightness loss when viewed at an angle.

A matte panel has diffusion which makes edges of sharp objects blend together. It can also introduce "graininess" in the image, especially in bright areas. It also blocks more light when viewed from an angle, which makes the image darker when viewed at an angle.

A glossy panel does not have these issues. However, it looks like highly polished glass and thus you see the reflections of your surroundings and yourself on it.

My personal preference are semi-glossy (or semi-matte) panels. They are not fully matte, but they are also not fully glossy. They're in the middle. They usually do not introduce any graininess and do not reduce brightness too much when viewed from the sides. However, they are still diffusing the light somewhat, and thus are not as sharp as fully glossy panels. But they do represent the sweet spot for me between a screen that suffers from reflections and a screen that "muddies" the image.

Here's a video showing two glossy monitors (right and left) and a matte one (middle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XDe3EqLl1s

I personally cannot accept the reflections on the screen on the glossy ones. But as many other things, it's just personal preference in the end.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

open

Post by open » 10 Dec 2018, 13:49

You have to be careful. The difference in the model number from the currently released 1ms acer monitor and the new 0.5ms monitors is taking off one character at the end.

Companies can and have in the past released monitors with different specs than their websites originally advertised.

Just keep your eyes open. Alot of these should be actually comming out and the real deal soon.

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 10 Dec 2018, 13:58

Wait, is the new MSI a glossy coating? If it is, might be the first glossy high refresh rate monitor. I''ve never even seen a high refresh rate semi-glossy. I actually use to have a semi-glossy IPS and loved it, makes the colors pop a lot more. I'd take a semi-glossy coating over matte any day of the week. Matte always give that sparkle effect and can blur pixels:

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Dec 2018, 02:17

yehaw wrote:I''ve never even seen a high refresh rate semi-glossy.
The 165Hz IPS ones from AUO are semi-glossy. I have one of those. I can see diffused reflections very clearly on it. On my full-matte monitors I cannot see reflections as such, just diffuse lights and blobs with no shape.

An interesting thing with that panel is that it actually becomes full-glossy when you view it from an angle. It basically becomes a mirror at some point. I guess that's to mitigate brightness loss when viewed from the sides, since good viewing angles are a selling point of IPS-type panels.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 11 Dec 2018, 15:27

RealNC wrote:
yehaw wrote:I''ve never even seen a high refresh rate semi-glossy.
The 165Hz IPS ones from AUO are semi-glossy. I have one of those. I can see diffused reflections very clearly on it. On my full-matte monitors I cannot see reflections as such, just diffuse lights and blobs with no shape.

An interesting thing with that panel is that it actually becomes full-glossy when you view it from an angle. It basically becomes a mirror at some point. I guess that's to mitigate brightness loss when viewed from the sides, since good viewing angles are a selling point of IPS-type panels.
Had no idea they even existed for gaming panels. Wish more companies would give the option, or maybe even start making coating stickers people can apply themselves. Make the panel glossy, then provide matte and semi-glossy stickers that can be applied and removed, kind of the way we do with screen protectors for phones. I know some companies already sell precut coating stickers you can apply to monitors, but it's useless for us with gaming panels that already have rather aggressive anti-glare coating. Maybe for those crazy enough to do the towel soaking method and pulling up the coating/glue. And this monitor (240hz 0.5ms) is advertised as "non-glossy" for anyone wondering.

And back on the topic of advertising 0.5ms, but then listing 1ms... I noticed Acer website has questionable information on the real response time, just like the MSI. They have it advertised as 0.5ms in all the marketing stuff, but on their spec section, it's listed as 1ms. The weirder part, they have the advertising 0.5ms stuff on the same page they advertise the response time in the spec section as 1ms. It's likely these aren't really 0.5ms gtg, but some other obscure color transition?

https://acerjapan.com/monitor/gaming/kg1/KG251QIbmiipx

zivko

Post by zivko » 12 Dec 2018, 00:23

Im gonna be really mad if it turns out they're barely any better then xl2546, i've been waiting since august, i could have been playing on high hz mbr monitor for months :(