MSI Oculux NXG251R

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Luckbad

MSI Oculux NXG251R

Post by Luckbad » 11 Dec 2018, 22:39

https://us.msi.com/monitor/Oculux-NXG251R.html

I picked this up from Best Buy online. I ordered it two days ago and it arrived today!

I'll provide some proper first impressions in a bit, but it's very positive so far.

Out of the box, it's about as bright as the sun. I actually dropped it down to 0 Brightness (no joke) to get it to ~120 cd/m² luminance. Cranked it to 240Hz and G-Sync mode and tried out Battlefield 5. Really solid experience.

I also did a quick calibration with the ColorMunki Display.

I'll properly calibrate it and my Dell S2716DGR by the weekend and will try to get better photos and video by then.

For now, here's a quick video of the MSI Oculux NXG251R (Top) Dell S2716DGR (Bottom)
https://youtu.be/3sX56hv22tk
Last edited by Luckbad on 21 Dec 2018, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: MSI Oculux NXG251R

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2018, 22:48

Nice, thanks for posting!

Does this monitor have ULMB? MSI's site omit that mention, but all known 240Hz G-SYNC monitors also have ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 11 Dec 2018, 23:20

Yep, it has ULMB. I checked it at 120 and 144Hz and it works like I'd expect (seems a little more wonky at 144Hz, like I can perceive some flicker? Not sure). Also, the manual does mention ULMB: https://us.msi.com/Monitor/support/Ocul ... own-manual

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 12 Dec 2018, 01:23

Can you comment on BLB, clouding, and uniformity if you get a chance? Thanks

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 12 Dec 2018, 10:38

yehaw wrote:Can you comment on BLB, clouding, and uniformity if you get a chance? Thanks
There is some backlight bleed, mostly concentrated toward the bottom of the monitor. It's subtle enough that you can't tell unless you load a static black image.

I haven't done a proper uniformity test yet. To the eye, it's good. But I can't really see non-uniformity until it hits something like 20%.

No broken pixels out of the box. I'm not seeing any clouding either.

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 14 Dec 2018, 12:18

I got two of these this week and they're both very close to each other in color, BLB, uniformity, etc., so I thought it would be useful to some people to try out this ICC Profile.

Colorimeter: i1Display Pro
Software: i1 Profiler (Large patch set)
ICC Profile: v4 (do you prefer v2? I could grab a v2 if you want that instead)
Gamma: 2.2
Luminance: 120 cd/m²

OSD Settings
Preset Mode: Profile1 (aka User)
Brightness: 3 (not a typo: This thing can get really bright for ULMB)
Contrast: 50
R: 42
G: 46
B: 45

NOTE: The stock setting for most of the OSD stuff is 50.
Attachments
MSI NXG251R_12-12-2018 #2.zip
MSI Oculux NXG251R ICC Profile
(19.98 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

thierrycanigan

Post by thierrycanigan » 14 Dec 2018, 13:35

what i don't understand is the 1ms spec. They said they will make a monitor with a 0.5ms response time in december name Oculux NXG251.

Now they release an Oculux NXG251R with 1ms response time. We don't know if it's just the same panel as all the various 240hz 24.5" monitor on the market or if it is maybe the new AUO panel but without the 0.5ms spec because they didn't achieve it finally.

Clearly did MSI cheated by releasing a close to announced monitor to sell anyway, or is this the monitor we were expecting? I can easily understand the 0.5ms spec wasn't possible if it's the new AUO panel. But if it's the same panel as all the old 240hz monitor I am disapointed. I waited since this monitor was announced to buy it and now it look like it's just a no event.

What would be nice would be opening it and trying to find the panel model. Or try to see if it's possible with windows peripheral menu, find more specs about the panel and compare with the Asus, Acer, BenQ whatever versions.

It was sale for a very short period of time but now it just look like an other 240hz monitor that have nothing special.

We want the new AUO panel!!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Dec 2018, 18:51

Luckbad wrote:I got two of these this week and they're both very close to each other in color, BLB, uniformity, etc., so I thought it would be useful to some people to try out this ICC Profile.
Thanks for providing this!

I also wonder how the Monoprice 240Hz monitor and the Oculux monitor compares.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

OatmealOnToast

Post by OatmealOnToast » 17 Dec 2018, 21:47

Hey all,

New to the forums here. Just picked up this monitor on sale ($350 from Best Buy plus $20 off by buying through Google Express) after having a decade old 1080p 21.5" HP 60hz monitor and I'm loving the difference. One thing I'm noticing though is that bright, moving images in particular seem to have an annoying quality where it seems I can see the screen itself instead of the image, if that makes sense. It's like a texture is visible between the image and my eye. I don't know if there's some plastic film on the actual screen that I'm just not able to peel off, or if this is a characteristic of the anti-glare coating on the screen, but it's really distracting. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 18 Dec 2018, 00:07

If you have the brightness high it can look wonky. The anti-glare coating is a little stronger on this than my Dell S2716DG.

I'll try to upload my calibration (long one with DisplayCal) when I get on the computer in a bit. It should help. Also make sure your speed setting is Fast and not Fastest (which will cause black streaks).
Last edited by Luckbad on 21 Dec 2018, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.