Having trouble doing the test (Asus VG248QZ - Fake 144hz ?))

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Styxwash

Having trouble doing the test (Asus VG248QZ - Fake 144hz ?))

Post by Styxwash » 11 Dec 2018, 15:44

Hey, I just bought a new Asus VG248QZ and it seems there is no difference between HDMI 60hz and displayport 144hz. Windows shows 144hz, but it looks the same.

It seems alot of other people have the same problem, so I tried to do the frame skipping test https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

But I can't find a proper app for my iphone to do a 1/10 second exposure or longer shot. Can anyone recommend or give advice? I'm not even entirely sure what feature i'm looking for to achieve this, being a photography noob.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble doing the test (Asus VG248QZ - Fake 144hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2018, 16:15

I use a paid app called "Pro Cam". But it's a complex app.

You can force any iPhone to trigger approximately 1/10 exposure by

(A) Reducing monitor brightness
and/or
(B) Tap-and-hold to prefocus the iPhone on something dark (at the same approximate distance) before pointing to the monitor

You'll know it worked when it exposed a longer series of squares instead of a shorter series.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Styxwash

Post by Styxwash » 11 Dec 2018, 18:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote: You'll know it worked when it exposed a longer series of squares instead of a shorter series.
Thanks alot for the reply! I think I managed to make it work.

https://imgur.com/8N8DzZC

https://imgur.com/XTCdAPU

This is testing on Asus VG248QZ using a 4k Displayport cable connected to RTX2070.
(HDMI cable is not connected at all while testing. I'm aware running double displays with a TV will cap the monitor at 60hz.)

So I guess I will be having my money back and buying something else. Expected more from a big company like Asus, otherwise making great products.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Dec 2018, 20:04

Yeah, that's now more correct testing. And yes, it looks like it is frameskipping.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!