Download -> NEW FPS Limiter for Vulkan, OpenGL, DirectX 9-12

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
niftucal

Re: Download -> NEW FPS Limiter for Vulkan, OpenGL, DirectX

Post by niftucal » 18 Dec 2018, 16:21

There are indeed many different factors that can increase or decrease latency, but the main advantage of limiting framerate is frame-time consistency.

New features are coming soon that will probably interest most people. I'd like to apologize to people sending me messages here because I may be busy and can't reply due to forum restrictions since I'm a new user. In these cases it's preferable to use the features from my blog. Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2018, 16:23

Oh, yes -- posters need to have 5 posts before being able to read/send outgoing PMs. I had to set that because of spammers sending spam PMs right after registering.

The new forum system (I think coming 2019...) may be able to waive that requirement thanks to improved security.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 20 Dec 2018, 04:15

RealNC wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:So basically there isn´t a single frame rate limter that doesn´t add input lag? That´s a shame..
None of the frame limiters add any input lag. In fact, they reduce input lag. The only exception is the NVidia limiter, which doesn't have a latency benefit.

You seem to be confusing the fact that the external frame limiters do not lower input lag as much as the in-game limiters. But they still do lower input lag somewhat, or at worst, they do neither reduce nor increase input lag.
Hmm that´s weird. Imagine this: I have 180fps average on Black Ops 4, if I limit framerate on its internal limiter to 144 and I have less fps so I have higher input lag right? Or did I miss something? In wich situations can framerate limiter improve input lag?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 20 Dec 2018, 04:36

Notty_PT wrote:
RealNC wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:So basically there isn´t a single frame rate limter that doesn´t add input lag? That´s a shame..
None of the frame limiters add any input lag. In fact, they reduce input lag. The only exception is the NVidia limiter, which doesn't have a latency benefit.

You seem to be confusing the fact that the external frame limiters do not lower input lag as much as the in-game limiters. But they still do lower input lag somewhat, or at worst, they do neither reduce nor increase input lag.
Hmm that´s weird. Imagine this: I have 180fps average on Black Ops 4, if I limit framerate on its internal limiter to 144 and I have less fps so I have higher input lag right? Or did I miss something? In wich situations can framerate limiter improve input lag?
It can improve input lag in any situation where your bottleneck is after than the framerate limiter in the graphics pipeline. So an in game cap can reduce latency if you're GPU limited, even if you're using vsync off. Though it is still situational.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Dec 2018, 13:52

Notty_PT wrote:Hmm that´s weird. Imagine this: I have 180fps average on Black Ops 4, if I limit framerate on its internal limiter to 144 and I have less fps so I have higher input lag right? Or did I miss something? In wich situations can framerate limiter improve input lag?
You're comparing apples to oranges though (144FPS vs 180FPS.) If you limit your FPS to 179FPS, then it will either have lower input lag compared to 180FPS uncapped, or the same. It will not be higher. If you cap to 144, it's not the limiter that adds input lag. It's the lower FPS.

If you want the lowest input lag possible when capping to a lower FPS than what the game can run at when uncapped, then your best option is a VRR monitor (g-sync/freesync.) This will minimize the latency penalty when going from 180FPS uncapped to 140FPS capped. In my case, there's quite a big latency difference between capped 141FPS G-Sync vs capped 144FPS vsync. Basically, 141FPS G-Sync has the same latency as 144Hz with vsync OFF.

And as Sparky said, GPU-bound games (those that result in 99% GPU load without maxing out the CPU) will almost always see a latency drop when using a frame limiter (other than the NVidia limiter.) In your case, if Black Ops 4 is a GPU-bound game, and you limit to 175FPS, you should see a latency benefit.

Overall though, yes, a frame limiter could add tricks to further decrease input lag when capping to a lower FPS. What I'm saying is that when comparing apples to apples (same FPS), a limiter will not add input lag. On average, it will either have the same or better input lag.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2018, 18:35

Yes, if framecapping is /done properly/

From a software developer perspective, there are many ways to add a framerate cap that does increase input lag. NVInspector seems to be doing something that adds input lag to frame rate capping that RTSS does not. Also, when done well, an in-game framerate cap can have even less lag than RTSS frame rate capping.

Also, some game engines have wonky behaviour beyond a certain framerate -- some people have noticed some undesirable behaviours such as lag-increases, aimfeel-inaccuracies or movement-slowdowns. Frame rate capping can prevent a game from going into "unanticipated game engine behaviors" territory when an engine run framerates more than an order of magnitude beyond its original era. Even CS:GO 1000fps+ had some aimfeel complaints.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

niftucal

Post by niftucal » 30 Dec 2018, 15:29

Hi guys.

I created a new tool which includes game compatibility and latency improvements, like I described before. Feel free to take a look at the main blog page and give it a try. The improvements will also be transferred to FPS Limiter. This new platform should make it a lot easier to test new experimental feature settings.

niftucal

Post by niftucal » 05 Jan 2019, 13:54

Hi everyone.

For those who didn't notice I updated FPS Limiter with improvements from GameForce. Game compatibility is looking pretty good now but if there are still issues with any games keep reporting them. It also includes latency optimisations but that's still somewhat experimental due to trade-offs.

The base functionality I planned for the tool is almost complete at this point, but I have some ideas for new features to give knowledgeable players more control. I'll also check with Mark (the Chief Buster) about his ideas. If you have requests leave them here so we get a better idea of what's more important for most players (lowest latency/smoothness, etc).

Cheers

aweigh0101

Post by aweigh0101 » 11 Jan 2019, 04:04

RealNC wrote:

Hey, how about this question: If I use Scanline-sync in RTSS, for sake of argument say I use it to match my monitor Hz, can I then use the nvidia profile inspector's fps limiter to cap my frame rate to say... 45fps... and it will cap it down while still having Scanline-sync enabled?

or will the S-sync simply disable automatically upon the game launching with the nvidia limiter on?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Jan 2019, 04:41

aweigh0101 wrote:Hey, how about this question: If I use Scanline-sync in RTSS, for sake of argument say I use it to match my monitor Hz, can I then use the nvidia profile inspector's fps limiter to cap my frame rate to say... 45fps... and it will cap it down while still having Scanline-sync enabled?

or will the S-sync simply disable automatically upon the game launching with the nvidia limiter on?
You can do it. There will be severe stutter, but you can do it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.