LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
shekel

Re: LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Post by shekel » 20 Dec 2018, 05:24

k2viper wrote:yehaw, TFTCentral measured it in 1:1 and Full wide aspect modes (I directly asked them via email), but after all a forum user found and tested, that only Original scaling mode has lowest lag, it is one full frame lower then both Full wide and 1:1. I added it in TLDR post, make sure you use Original aspect mode. You also complain about stuttering/juddering, it has a solution. Read TLDR post in thread start.
Still, no any green or other colored artifacts on my unit, also no any coil whine. It is possible that your unit is defective.
This is strange because I messaged them and this was the e-mail I received today:
Hi

Thanks for the email. The lag measurements in our review were completed using the “original” aspect ratio control mode anyway, so if there is any difference that will already be accounted for in the measurements. We don’t have the screen with us any more to be able to check the full or 1:1 modes and confirm if they are slightly slower sadly.

Thanks

daniloberserk

Post by daniloberserk » 21 Dec 2018, 23:01

shekel wrote:
k2viper wrote:yehaw, TFTCentral measured it in 1:1 and Full wide aspect modes (I directly asked them via email), but after all a forum user found and tested, that only Original scaling mode has lowest lag, it is one full frame lower then both Full wide and 1:1. I added it in TLDR post, make sure you use Original aspect mode. You also complain about stuttering/juddering, it has a solution. Read TLDR post in thread start.
Still, no any green or other colored artifacts on my unit, also no any coil whine. It is possible that your unit is defective.
This is strange because I messaged them and this was the e-mail I received today:
Hi

Thanks for the email. The lag measurements in our review were completed using the “original” aspect ratio control mode anyway, so if there is any difference that will already be accounted for in the measurements. We don’t have the screen with us any more to be able to check the full or 1:1 modes and confirm if they are slightly slower sadly.

Thanks
Well, if you saw my posts 2 pages ago, you can check that 1:1 is definitely slower then the other options, but I can't give you exact numbers since my test isn't very accurate. But at least it is good enough to tell if 1:1 is faster or slower.

Original and Fullwide mode seems faster the majority of time, 1:1 seems ALWAYS slower. But I'm not sure why sometimes the Benq seems a bit faster in some frames of the record (on original and fullwide)... Since my test is not very scientific as I was not using 240FPS sample material, I can't conclude anything 100% accurate. The screen seems faster overall in 240hz when compared with my old XL2420z. Still, both of then have VERY low input lag values, and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

But I'm still concerned about the "consistency" of the frames being displayed, if someone have any idea how can I test if the frames are not skipping or being displayed on different speed let me know. I have access to a 960fps camera, not professional but it should be enough for a general idea.

daniloberserk

Post by daniloberserk » 21 Dec 2018, 23:34

So, I made some tests on the "pixel skipping" test from testufo recording at 960 fps, I was able to capture some inconsistencies. The problem is, I'm not sure if the test is working perfecly on my pc, I'm running an i5 4690k and a R9 390x on Chrome, I closed everything I could but still have messages about "stuttering" sometimes. So maybe it's that.

Or maybe my camera can't record consistently every time, but you guys can check for yourselves here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk8rCON47gs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkwXms1ROz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBIPYKXwmhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_4Hr6rzZCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kf17r5ETpc

I'll try to get some good photos to... If someone have an idea of what might be happening, tell me! I'm using votal 1182.

Edit: Tried some photos, take more then 100 of then, seems to not be skipping. So, probably my camera is not consistent enough 100% of time, OR maybe some frames show faster then others? I really not sure if this is even possible...

The frames being buffered out of order can be tested with photos? Maybe what I captured was that?

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 22 Dec 2018, 09:47

Well, have it now.
Something I doing wrong or dunno, have more stutter than on benq 2720z, and crosstalk, when had connected both displays, was less noticable on benq at 120Hz than 240Hz LGs

And my screen has something behind lcd layer, I see some smeared pixels in like 2 inches down from center...ffs
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

shekel

Post by shekel » 22 Dec 2018, 10:38

daniloberserk wrote:
shekel wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Well, if you saw my posts 2 pages ago, you can check that 1:1 is definitely slower then the other options, but I can't give you exact numbers since my test isn't very accurate. But at least it is good enough to tell if 1:1 is faster or slower.

Original and Fullwide mode seems faster the majority of time, 1:1 seems ALWAYS slower. But I'm not sure why sometimes the Benq seems a bit faster in some frames of the record (on original and fullwide)... Since my test is not very scientific as I was not using 240FPS sample material, I can't conclude anything 100% accurate. The screen seems faster overall in 240hz when compared with my old XL2420z. Still, both of then have VERY low input lag values, and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

But I'm still concerned about the "consistency" of the frames being displayed, if someone have any idea how can I test if the frames are not skipping or being displayed on different speed let me know. I have access to a 960fps camera, not professional but it should be enough for a general idea.
You've misunderstood, I made the post saying it was strange because TFTCentral told k2viper that they used 1:1/Full Wide scaling modes in their testing, meanwhile I got a completely different answer.

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 22 Dec 2018, 17:14

Well, to be honest, I should stay with benq 2720z with vt trick and bbutility. Or try 2740z. But price...
But I think I will keep it this LG, as it has little better colours, is much brighter(MBR on or off) and I like stand, hell, takes a lot less space than benq.
I guess I put Benq in box, and send it to my parrents house, where is crappy 60hz dell(IPS) and when I am there, and trying to game, it drive me nuts...

another downside this LG has, or induces, is higher GFX core and mem clocks, while idle, or browsing www, than with benq.
and still did not figure out how to set up MBR properly, similar in perception as with benq

Well, I really have hope, that OLEDs came next year to PC!

Happy Christmas and New Year! :)
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 22 Dec 2018, 20:39

Gregix wrote:Well, have it now.
Something I doing wrong or dunno, have more stutter than on benq 2720z, and crosstalk, when had connected both displays, was less noticable on benq at 120Hz than 240Hz LGs

And my screen has something behind lcd layer, I see some smeared pixels in like 2 inches down from center...ffs
Turn overdrive down lower. This monitor's kinda bad, honestly. Especially the strobing. I can't even get CRU to adjust the strobing for me (probably some driver bs problem, or my version of the monitor) but I can get it to blank my screen out. So my monitor/setup could be a bit unique. I'm sure it's okay with Freesync, but will still probably have problems.

Is your refresh rate and frame rate set properly? 239.76hz

captain_amn

Post by captain_amn » 23 Dec 2018, 11:23

So... i just read through 40+ pages of this thread and i am still confused AF. If anyone can help me out, that would be great...

Hello everybody, i am a new user on this forum. This is my first post, and although i have lurked these forums for the better part of this year, i only just registered because i want to upgrade my monitor.

I currently use a Viewsonix XG2401 (144Hz) and want to upgrade to 240Hz and since i never tried strobing, i would like to try it.

I saw this particular LG monitor for 350€ in my country, and i was about to pull the trigger because of the good reviews.

Then comes along Solid Lad from Slovakia... and absolutely crushes my dreams of 240Hz strobing :lol:
Granted, he did not try the "Original Aspect Ratio" option... But then again, on the last couple of pages, other users report bad performance even with Original aspect ratio turned on. So what the hell now :?: How good is this monitor now compared to his much praised XL2740, that i certainly won't buy?

I could get the Alienware 240Hz FreeSync (which Solid Lad praises) for much cheaper, but it lacks strobing. So i'd rather have the LG one honestly, because i play a game that could benefit from strobing and most importantly, a very responsive monitor. I really want to upgrade, but now i am so uncertain.... so..

1) To the owners and testers of this monitor: Is it really not an amazing monitor?

2) My follow-up question to the owners of this monitor is also, that i like playing with black bars on the side, because i play with lower ingame resolutions than 1080p. Is that still possible with "Original Aspect Ratio"?

3) To the more experienced testers here: What do you recommend? I can not compare the monitor vs other 240Hz models. So if i order it, i really want to just keep it honestly. So i would be glad, if this particular monitor is a atleast on par with other 240Hz strobing monitors.

Thank you for everyone else for this massive thread, it helps me a lot on deciding how to spend my money. (Monitor manufacturers take note :D )
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8Ghz - CF RX 580s - 3200CL16 DDR4 - Win10 64Bit - ViewSonic XG2401

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 23 Dec 2018, 14:44

shekel wrote: This is strange because I messaged them and this was the e-mail I received today:
Strange...
Here is the answer I got from TFTCentral about it:
Hi

Thanks for the email. We tested the full wide mode, and 1:1 Mapping mode and both showed similar results. The figures in the review are based on measurements in the 1:1 mode.

Thanks
Simon
Said nothing about Original, and speaking of "both" out of 3 modes present.

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 23 Dec 2018, 14:50

@captain_amn
I would say, non strobed, 240hz is probably best monitor at the moment. Dunno about new Benqs, but they a lot more expensive.
Non strobed 120/144Hz sucks, for me, as they are blurry as hell for me(same with Benq)

Strobed...I'd say, strobed 120Hz, VT tweak 1499, my old Benq is little better(but only in middle) in clarity, while running ufo tests(moving photo -ufos, quebec or Eiffel tower, street map), LG 240Hz has less clarity, due ghosting, or, I would say, tripple images. Text in street map is more fuzzy, smeared, on LG than on Benq. IN MIDDLE, but, well, if u play games, in middle is where ur focus is. As for me, in games, I barely see difference. I mean, playing 240Hz strobed/non strobed is great, have good results, that yesterday went from high 5-7k/d ratio to 1-2 only, due my fatigue...was playing/testing like 8h with some small breaks...So Id say, I have similar results, so, blurrines/smearing is not noticable in game as much as in ufo tests. Did VT trick too here, but seems to do nothing to size of crosstalk or maybe I looking wrong direction :P
Big pro is brightness, is more bright and colours more natural looking than my Benq 2720z, even after my so so DIY callibration.
Default sharpness suck, 50 makes things blurry, even my son when looked at screen for 5 secs noticed it right away, and he is using Samsung 27" CFG73 with Qdot Led and this crap is blurry with text as hell. But he like it for Rainbow Six Siege/Daying light/CS:GO and have good results too, so...maybe it is youth...

So for me, it is (rather) good monitor, but have mixed feelings. Esp with that dust/whatever just under LCD layer. At least it is not a bug...so is small, 1,5px size...I will test it more though, have 30 days to return it. Maybe in this time freaking JOLED finally start selling Oled gamers monitors... Maybe I will keep, maybe not. So far, mixed feelings...

lill edit, missed proper name
Last edited by Gregix on 23 Dec 2018, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.