ULMB VSYNC or RTSS S-sync?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ULMB VSYNC or RTSS S-sync?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Dec 2018, 13:54

bkragnarok wrote:When I use VSYNC OFF the tear line has to be below the edge of the screen in the VBI, right?
But if I want to combine FAST Sync+S-Sync, the tear line has to be above the edge of the screen so that it never touches the VBI, right?
Correct, correct.

You do need headroom.

For VSYNC OFF, you want the tearline deeper into the VBI so that any tearline-jitter stays mostly inside the VBI.
For the other sync methods (pre-calibrating using VSYNC OFF before switching to Fast Sync or Enhanced Sync), you want the tearline semi-permanently (99.9%) above the bottom edge. You can usually never hit perfect 100% but for many low-GPU games you can pretty much adjust it so that tearlines stay where they are 99%-99.9% of the time.

Aim for all but your 0.1%. It'll be your 0.1% frametimes that's the biggest problem such as disk-loading stutters and whatnot. The 0.1% frametime spikes will be when you get unavoidable tearing (for VSYNC OFF + RTSS Scanline Sync) or unavoidable stutter (for RTSS Scanline Sync + Enhance Sync / Fast Sync)

The easiest is simply to use the hotkeys to recalibrate the tearline position and then try strafing left/right (or doing a scroll), to find where the tearline is and how it jitters. Adjust until satisfied. Then commit to the sync mode you're planning to use (VSYNC OFF or if you're switching to Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Dec 2018, 13:55

Oh and once you do so, make sure you do the High-Med-Low trick for removing mouse microstutters from framerate-locked ULMB:

1. High DPI in mouse vendor software.
2. Middle setting "Pointer Speed" in Control Panel (Must be exact middle setting)
3. Low mouse sensitivity in game

That makes ULMB mouse-scrolls and mouse-turns much smoother. Sensor must be a good one, your mouse feet must be clean, and you need a ultrahigh-resolution mousepad (not desk surface or freebie mousepad). Also, use 1000Hz (if you're lucky to have the new Cougar mouse, use 2000Hz poll rate -- it can help calm down the ULMB-amplified microstuttering even further).

If you're a stutterless ULMB snob, then always fix your mouse microstutters too because ULMB is a great amplifier of microstutter visibility. Most competitive players don't use framerate-locking either but framerate-locking + blur-elimination is a massive torture test of imperfect mice, you want your mouseturns as perfectly smooth as keyboard strafe left/right in the wall-scroll-fluidity test (reading high detail textures on walls etc). It is the hallmark of a creme-de-a-creme ULMB-optimized mouse setup.

Not all mice are microstutterless. Buy a new mouse if need be if you're still getting harsh mouseturns that is not giving you Nintendo-smooth stepless/stutterless/blurless CRT-clarity motion during ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bkragnarok

Post by bkragnarok » 26 Dec 2018, 01:00

Thank you Chief Blur Buster for the detailed explanations.
RealNC wrote:
bkragnarok wrote:When I use VSYNC OFF the tear line has to be below the edge of the screen in the VBI, right?
But if I want to combine FAST Sync+S-Sync, the tear line has to be above the edge of the screen so that it never touches the VBI, right?
There is no "above the edge". The first scanline is 1 and the last is 1080 + the VBI area.
Sorry RealNC for the misunderstanding, I expressed myself badly. When I was referring to below/above the edge, I was referring to the BOTTOM edge of the screen.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Oh and once you do so, make sure you do the High-Med-Low trick for removing mouse microstutters from framerate-locked ULMB:

1. High DPI in mouse vendor software.
2. Middle setting "Pointer Speed" in Control Panel (Must be exact middle setting)
3. Low mouse sensitivity in game
I have a Rival 500@1000Hz@2000DPI and the SteelSeries software did the "Med" trick for me.
The "Low" trick would be to leave the default value ("50" in most games) or reduce it more than the default value?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:and you need a ultrahigh-resolution mousepad (not desk surface or freebie mousepad).
Then I will see if I buy an "ultrahigh-resolution mousepad" because I use it over the desk surface haha.