LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2018, 15:09

nanashi31 wrote:After my 3 month adventure in search for a good 240hz monitor these are my findings and i hope they can help . I started with Asus xg258q and noticed some strange vertical lines that appear when i was doing fast movements in Battlefield. After replacing cable/gfx card and did some research i found out that it was a common problem and it was more pronounced the lower the hz used, witch was true in my case since GTA on PS4 was much worse .It was so bad that i almost felt like i was behind prison bars whenever i moved. So after that i went for the 25 inch 240hz Acer counterpart kg251 with.......same results. Switched to Alienware aw2518h and the same problem , no matter the cable or Amd/Nvidia card. They seem to use a panel from the same manufacturer if i am not mistaken .The only monitor i tested without the issue was LG 27gk750f-b.
I only have one question . Does this problem not bother people that like those 25 inch panels? For me it was a dealbraker for sure and was taking away from my experience.
Also, this issue was present in other recent 144 hz TN monitors . And the only 100% way to avoid it was to go IPS . For me IPS isn't an option since the response time gives me a headache .
You're referring to the LCD inversion artifacts that are commonly found in TN panels (single-pixel checkerboard / vertical / horizontal lines artifacts). It is an issue of many fast TN LCDs, it doesn't bother me if I am viewing from far enough away, but I understand that many are sensitive to this.

It does bother many people -- just not all.

This is indeed a pro of the LG monitor, it's a little bit less prone to inversion artifacts. If you prefer less strobe crosstalk with strobed 240Hz, one may prefer the XL2546 but one prefer less inversion artifact in 240Hz, one may prefer the LG 27GK750-B. This is however, by anecdote only, not from official tests.

Some people are sensitive to flicker. Some people are sensitive to motion blur. Some people are sensitive to low-contrast/color quality. Some people are sensitive to brightness. Some people prefer to sit further away from the monitor (which eliminates their ability to see the inversion artifact). Some people are color blind (12% of population). Etc Etc Etc. Not all humans see exactly the same way.

Very hard to have cake and eat it too, when it comes to image quality attributes of 240Hz. Tradeoffs abound.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nanashi31

Post by nanashi31 » 31 Dec 2018, 16:05

This is why i eventually gave up on trying to find the best gaming monitor with nice colors ,high hz and good response time. I got myself the Samsung u28h750 for nice qled colors on a 4k tn panel. This makes it a nice balance between response time and image vibrancy and i use it for console and browsing/movies. I kept the LG for gaming and with some CRU tweaks with this forum's help i made the stutters go away and i also have nice input lag in original mode .
Plenty thanks for the information . Without it my pretentious eyes would not be satisfied .

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 31 Dec 2018, 17:15

Maybe LG issue is just fw issue. Like mine was version 7, while viper has 6 as I reckon.
LCD panels I saw seems to be from one production period only. And it is q3 2017 I think. Do not wanna open box and check it again, is ready to go to seller.
My VT tricks seems too do not do nothing to crosstalk, only stutter(if any) eliminating.
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 31 Dec 2018, 19:31

Gregix wrote:Maybe LG issue is just fw issue. Like mine was version 7, while viper has 6 as I reckon.
LCD panels I saw seems to be from one production period only. And it is q3 2017 I think. Do not wanna open box and check it again, is ready to go to seller.
My VT tricks seems too do not do nothing to crosstalk, only stutter(if any) eliminating.
Yup, I suspect the version may be why there's a difference. There's clearly a large difference in any case, imo. If we knew, maybe we could bother LG about it.

shekel

Post by shekel » 01 Jan 2019, 07:30

My LG is Rev.03, firmware version 3.07, manufactured 2017.09.11, but on the back of the monitor itself it says January 2018. I can't find any information what's the difference between 3.06 and 3.07.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jan 2019, 13:15

nanashi31 wrote:This is why i eventually gave up on trying to find the best gaming monitor with nice colors ,high hz and good response time. I got myself the Samsung u28h750 for nice qled colors on a 4k tn panel. This makes it a nice balance between response time and image vibrancy and i use it for console and browsing/movies. I kept the LG for gaming and with some CRU tweaks with this forum's help i made the stutters go away and i also have nice input lag in original mode .
Plenty thanks for the information . Without it my pretentious eyes would not be satisfied .
Keep an eye on OLED gaming monitors that hopefully finally arrives 2019-2020.
They may be able to finally provide the right mix of compromises.

Cheers,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ginko

Post by ginko » 09 Jan 2019, 14:17

So guys i red whole tread but could you sum this up and tell me is this LG good for cs go? I have got amd card and i will use it only for cs go? Or is there now better options for 27 inch 240 hz monitor?

thx for information

*sorry for bad english

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 11 Jan 2019, 15:19

ginko wrote:So guys i red whole tread but could you sum this up and tell me is this LG good for cs go? I have got amd card and i will use it only for cs go? Or is there now better options for 27 inch 240 hz monitor?

thx for information

*sorry for bad english
https://youtu.be/IdtKbq3Omkw
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

<blank>

Post by <blank> » 01 Feb 2019, 13:29

Damn this was a long thread. So which is it. LG or Alienware? I'll be exclusively playing dota 2 so full screen quick pans are a rarity and i already tested that i can keep 220~ fps (obviously it's going to fall during heavy action so ill oc the cpu and gpu to compensate somewhat, theyre both underclocked atm btw)
To quote a guy with another opinion saying that 240hz pixel response time is too slow for F P S games creating a blurry mess. I dont play those for the most part. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914&start=20 notty_pt shows some pics that states 144hz has better pixel response times. It cost about 265 eu here and Alienware AW2518HF would be about 310 eu. I frankly dont care about the picture quality as long as it has the lowest response time and fluidity overall, which i believe in my case 240hz would be perfect as mobas are pretty much static image with a few units trailing on the screen with occasional camera pans. Any opinions or do i have this down perfectly?

mushi

Post by mushi » 02 Feb 2019, 11:50

So I bought a 27GK750F and I guess I had bad luck. Because 240hz has stutter, and what it seems frame skipping.
I have tried several CRU settings, without luck. on 144hz it works fine, no stutter.

I've shared a folder with pictures and videos, take a peek.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rkmAD ... jKdGB1siHv

Facts:
* The issue is more noticiable on FPS games, like Quake.
* I have more than 240 fps on those games
* I have a 960gtx, so freesync will not work
* enabling vsync doesnt make a difference in the stuttering. but its bad for fps, so doesn't matter
* I've tried the recommended CRU settings on the first post, and other posts aswell .
* I've tried HDMI and DP
* mouse is running at 1000hz
* My previous monitor was an old 120hz one, no issues (and high end CRTs before)

Questions:
* my firmware doesn't have FASTER response time option. why?
* I've tried to create different refreshe rates on CRU, always gives me black screen. Any tips? I didn't mess around much with the different options.
* how to create different refresh rates? without black screen?
* never messed around with the "extension block" menu before this. should i?..

My current CRU settings for 240hz are okay-ish. 144hz is still much smoother.
I would appreciate some help.