Is it worth to OC when response time and refresh rate don't

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
MonarchX

Is it worth to OC when response time and refresh rate don't

Post by MonarchX » 03 Jan 2019, 01:02

LG 32GK850G-B 1440p G-Sync VA display is awesome and can be over clocked to 165Hz, but I get confused about the whole response time matching refresh rate. If you read TFT Central review, it will show how 165Hz results in extra smearing http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_ ... fresh_rate . But does that mean that in case of this display, higher refresh rate of 165Hz actually provides less clarity and more motion blur than 120Hz and 144Hz?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is it worth to OC when response time and refresh rate do

Post by RealNC » 03 Jan 2019, 01:23

Yes, there can be more smearing, because there's no time for the pixels to transition fully. You're still getting more frames, so animation is smoother, but clarity goes down a bit when the pixels have no time to complete the color transition.

You can of course run your own tests on testufo.com. Try 85Hz (if that's supported), 100Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz and 165Hz, and try to see at what refresh rate you can see increased blur/smearing.

In my case, I have an IPS 165Hz panel, but I can't actually see increased smearing at 165Hz. In my opinion, if you can't see it, it might as well not exist :mrgreen: I still use 144Hz though, because I usually use a 120FPS (or lower) limit with g-sync anyway, unless I play CS:GO, where I use 165Hz and vsync OFF (it's the only game where I don't use g-sync.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 03 Jan 2019, 06:09

Which test would you suggest? Maybe TFT Central doesn't know about VA panels needing to warm up for 30 minutes before testing because they show obvious smearing I can't notice what-so-ever, at any refresh rate.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jan 2019, 06:20

The ghosting test is best for this, because of its background color.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2019, 20:49

http://www.testufo.com/ghosting can really show the smearing that can occur on VA panels, especially on the darker background bar.

Some people don't easily see it and some people are sensitive to it.

Everyone is sensitive to different things. Some are sensitive to motion blur. Some are sensitive to flicker. Etc. Other times it's a "I never noticed until I started looking directly for it" type of thing. Or "I've never seen a non-VA, so I don't know what to expect" factor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!