PCGamer: Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monitors

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

PCGamer: Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monitors

Post by jorimt » 07 Jan 2019, 10:19

(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: PCGamer: Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monito

Post by RealNC » 07 Jan 2019, 10:38

At last. NVidia has been quite silly with the whole "WE ARE G-SYNC" thing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Jan 2019, 11:40

Considering the news we had today, about Gsync/FreeSync available for most monitores with Nvidia GPUs, I start to find less and less reasons to buy 240hz. To me one of the biggest 240hz advantages was the fact I could run a game with an unlocked framerate, without VRR or Vsync. As the monitor has a persistence of 4ms it would always be smooth as silk. This is the biggest advantage I ever noticed compared to 144hz monitors where I´m always forced to cap framerate to 143 with or without vsync. (wich adds lag )

Now that we will have VRR on most monitors, capping framerate to 141 + FreeSync will be as smooth as 240hz + uncapped framerate. The only difference will be the input lag, slightly better on 240hz. But you will still need a beefy CPU and GPU to feed really high fps and on many games that´s very hard. While a 141fps cap at 1080p is very easy for today´s tech. A 3,5ghz 4cores/8threads CPU has no problems sustaining 141 fps on most games. While for 180-200-240fps you need overclocked Intel chips at least 4,5ghz.

So basically 240hz right now will be for those that want the 0.5ms input lag advantage :D

Worth mentioning that having inconsistent framerate, like 170fps to 240fps, on 240hz monitor, can lead to worse aim than having constant 141 locked fps on 144hz, as it affects mouse sensitiviy and response time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2019, 14:36

Posted on Blur Busters and social media:

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync-loves-freesync

Speaking of which, I'm looking for part-time freelancers to help break news onto the coverpage faster & more frequently of Blur Busters. (So I can focus more on the more advanced articles, and focus on inventing display tests!). Inquire within [email protected]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

cobson

Post by cobson » 13 Jan 2019, 07:43

Notty_PT wrote:

So basically 240hz right now will be for those that want the 0.5ms input lag advantage :D
Or it's for those that want smoother gameplay...............

mayc

Post by mayc » 15 Jan 2019, 11:59

A question, using the new option with freesync monitors. Should we also have v-sync enabled in the control panel as with normal g-sync?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Jan 2019, 12:35

^ If you want zero tearing, yes, V-SYNC on (preferably in control panel, with in-game V-SYNC options off).

All G-SYNC range rules apply to FreeSync; -2 or -3 FPS limit below given max refresh rate, and VRR + V-SYNC "on" for no tearing within VRR range.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Jan 2019, 13:04

jorimt wrote:^ If you want zero tearing, yes, V-SYNC on (preferably in control panel, with in-game V-SYNC options off).

All G-SYNC range rules apply to FreeSync; -2 or -3 FPS limit below given max refresh rate, and VRR + V-SYNC "on" for no tearing within VRR range.
To the best of our knowledge, that is :P

This is all new. Drivers literally got released only some hours ago. It's expected that everything works the same way as normal g-sync, but who knows.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Jan 2019, 13:14

RealNC wrote:This is all new. Drivers literally got released only some hours ago. It's expected that everything works the same way as normal g-sync, but who knows.
No doubt, but as far as I know, this is basically FreeSync mode on a Nvidia GPU (through DisplayPort only, currently) done through driver software. And as the Battle(non)sense video tests showed a while back, upper-limit range rules for VRR are the same for both G-SYNC and FreeSync, including tearing within the VRR range with the equivalent V-SYNC setting off. E.g. adaptive sync is adaptive sync.

As for the minimum refresh range, supported monitors apparently even have driver-implemented LFC:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/4765

But yes, with FreeSync monitors (especially the models that aren't officially supported by the Nvidia driver update), the rest of the issues (or lack thereof) are going to be highly model specific.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2019, 14:02

jorimt wrote:No doubt, but as far as I know, this is basically FreeSync mode on a Nvidia GPU (through DisplayPort only, currently)
I wonder if the ToastyX CRU "Force FreeSync out of HDMI" trick is also workable on NVIDIA.

Also, I have an XG258 and PG258Q here (originally for a different review), I'll give it a test with some 960fps high-speed camera as well as some other testing methodologies.

It will be a shorter XG258-vs-PG258Q that won't be a detailed GSYNC101, but it will help provide insights of GSYNC versus FreeSync from the same drivers. And I'll test out a Radeon too, to have GSYNC-vs-FreeSync.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!