FRC - temporal dithering

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
tomsx

FRC - temporal dithering

Post by tomsx » 02 Jan 2019, 00:35

I considering 'upgrading' my AOC Q2577PWQ to Q3279VWFD8, the latter is superior in several aspects

it has FRC (8+2) though

the question is if I send 8 bit signal to it, will FRC stay off/unused ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: FRC

Post by RealNC » 02 Jan 2019, 01:03

Why wouldn't you want FRC?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 02 Jan 2019, 05:12

Don't like the effect of dithering, I imagine?

open

Post by open » 02 Jan 2019, 11:14

If its an 8 bit pannel I immagine it will stay off for an 8 bit signal.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Jan 2019, 16:56

Kheri wrote:Don't like the effect of dithering, I imagine?
The effect of dithering is that it improves image quality. Why wouldn't you want that?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 02 Jan 2019, 22:40

RealNC wrote:
Kheri wrote:Don't like the effect of dithering, I imagine?
The effect of dithering is that it improves image quality. Why wouldn't you want that?
Supposedly noticeable (especially in peripheral vision) in the past with 6bit+FRC. Dunno how much better the dithering algorithms are now (heard they're much better) or how noticeable that'd be with 8bits+FRC.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2019, 01:05

6bits look a lot worse than 6bit+FRC.

Likewise, 8bit+FRC should generally look better. There may be an issue when you do things like software black frame insertion, which may temporally interfere with FRC sequence.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tomsx

Post by tomsx » 07 Jan 2019, 09:44

well, thx everyone... ye, I'd rather avoid flickering, even if it's subtle...

anyway, on my way to return it... that IPS glow, seriously... feels like every colour is bright, no matter what setting, lacking some depth... plus 2 dead pixels, cherry on top of the cake :V

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Jan 2019, 15:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:6bits look a lot worse than 6bit+FRC.

Likewise, 8bit+FRC should generally look better. There may be an issue when you do things like software black frame insertion, which may temporally interfere with FRC sequence.
6 bits looks more than just a lot worse than 6 bits+FRC.
It looks absolutely terrible.
The Benq XL2720Z is a 6 bit +Hi FRC (i dont know the difference between FRC and hi-FRC) panel, which is supposed to simulate 8 bit depth by supporting it.
It does work good (i'm sure there are some artifacts in the far gray scales), but if you exceed 359.90 mhz pixel clock, it switches to pure 6 bit (the drives switch from 8 bit to 6 bit).

The banding in Overwatch is....terrible.
I mean it's barely better than playing in 16 bit desktop color depth.

BTW Chief, on the XL2720Z, with normal 8 bit (6 bit+Hi-FRC), on some web browser gray tones or light cyan/gray tones, you can actually see the dithering going on if you look close enough.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2019, 15:19

tomsx wrote:well, thx everyone... ye, I'd rather avoid flickering, even if it's subtle...

anyway, on my way to return it... that IPS glow, seriously... feels like every colour is bright, no matter what setting, lacking some depth... plus 2 dead pixels, cherry on top of the cake :V
Even I, personally, fell it is useless to worry about flicker on 8bit+FRC

Even all incandescent lightbulbs have a bigger flicker curve than 8bit+FRC! People who can't see flicker in incandescent lightbulbs, won't see the flicker in 8bit+FRC. The flicker is coming from something else such as imperfect backlight or from inversion artifact (not FRC).

8bit+FRC is a 0.4% change that occurs so rapidly that it's hidden by the GtG.

It's not the full-on-off flickering of DLP/plasma pixels.

Inversion artifacts are much more noticeable.

Now....6bit+FRC, we're talking. That's big enough of a flicker ratio.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!