NVIDIA to Support FreeSync (VESA Adaptive Sync)

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Luckbad

NVIDIA to Support FreeSync (VESA Adaptive Sync)

Post by Luckbad » 07 Jan 2019, 02:26

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13791/nv ... 0107001807

TLDR: NVIDIA is testing and approving FreeSync monitors, then enabling G-Sync on them in the drivers by default. They seem to have a rigorous approval process and most won't pass muster, but you'll be able to manually enable VRR on those as well.

The first driver to support this will be coming out on January 15, 2019.

Vega

Re: NVIDIA to Support FreeSync (VESA Adaptive Sync)

Post by Vega » 07 Jan 2019, 03:16

HUGE news. I like that you can flip the switch anyway. I think support for HDMI 2.1 VRR in their next GPU architecture should be in the bag.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Jan 2019, 10:23

Yes I saw that but has anyone even demonstrated that the XL2740 actually supports AMD freesync to begin with?
I haven't seen one post from anyone saying it does yet.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2019, 14:46

Posted on Blur Busters and social media:

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync-loves-freesync

Speaking of which, I'm looking for part-time freelancers to help break news onto the coverpage faster & more frequently of Blur Busters. (So I can focus more on the more advanced articles, and focus on inventing display tests!). Inquire within [email protected]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 07 Jan 2019, 15:16

Any word on the list of 300+ monitors that failed Nvidia's validation. Curious if my monitor and several others for that matter are on the list.
Falkentyne wrote:Yes I saw that but has anyone even demonstrated that the XL2740 actually supports AMD freesync to begin with?
I haven't seen one post from anyone saying it does yet.
Nvidia isn't targeting just the FreeSync monitors it's targeting all adaptive sync monitors which includes all FreeSync monitors. Most if not all of BenQ's new monitors support Adaptive Sync.