asus vg248qe and couple (lightboost) questions

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
alexander1986

asus vg248qe and couple (lightboost) questions

Post by alexander1986 » 10 Jan 2019, 01:33

Hello!

so I have the asus vg248qe since like 2013 and still very happy with it, running it in lightboost 10% mode @ 120 hz on a gtx 1060 and love my monitor basically ! but have now couple questions,

1. I play a lot of fortnite and in this game i'm playing vsync OFF , ingame framelimit 120 fps, 120 hz lightboost 10%, I can have 120 fps like 95% of the time that I am playing, anyway I wonder how much lower inputlag in actual numbers/milliseconds would it be if I instead play NO lightboost, 144 hz and 144 fps limit ingame? (just curious because I am so used to the zero-blur with strobing that its impossible to play without it, atleast for the moment its how I feel, but would still like to know !)

2. Is there anything I could potentially do to lower inputlag further while keeping lightboost ON with this monitor ? some of that new RTSS scan sync trick or similar? and what would the difference be in that case?

3. in near future or future I am interested in buying a newer 240 hz monitor with Gsync and ULMB to have more options, how much difference in inputlag and picture quality/smoothness/etc is it between my current monitor on 120 hz/120 fps/10% lightboost vs some new monitor and for example these settings:

144 hz/144fps/ULMB on 10%
180 hz 180 fps/ULMB on 10% (is this the sweet-spot for high-hz ulmb?)
240 hz 240 fps/ULMB on 10% (is it possible to eliminate crosstalk at this hz with ulmb or atleast make it similar to what i'm experiencing now with my asus vg248qe 120hz/120fps/10% lightboost?)

because I was reading about these new monitors and as far as I can see people say around 144/180 hz is sweet spot for ulmb before crosstalk gets out of hand, is that true or can you get 240hz ulmb that looks good? (ofcourse we will presume a solid 144/180/240 fps in these 3 examples)

I think that's all questions, maybe one last question is this:

4.what is the consensus "best" competitive or atleast guaranteed lowest inputlag 240hz monitor there is to buy today? because my monitor is still popular and being sold today 6 years later because of how low lag it has, as far as I can tell anyway from googling on the subject, basically I want to buy eventually the lowest lag 240hz monitor but want the same-or lower input lag than my current monitor (obviously going to 240 hz or 144-240 strobed will be lower lag than 120hz but the panel itself might be higher response time is my "fear" so to speak?

Puh, hope that makes any sense and very appreciate any feedback and answers to my questions, any help appreciated!

cheers,
Alexander

alexander1986

Re: asus vg248qe and couple (lightboost) questions

Post by alexander1986 » 10 Jan 2019, 18:44

probably posted too long of a post/too many questions/wall of text etc to get any good or timely responses in this thread so will try to sum it up instead :D

TL;DR have a asus vg248qe monitor since 2013 running at 120 hz/lightboost 10%/120 fps limit(ingame not RTSS etc) and no vsync in games, very happy with it!

now looking for an upgraded monitor with 240 hz and ULMB, what would be a good purchase for me in this case? preferrably asus, as low or lower inputlag than my current monitor, and ULMB up to 240hz would be cool if possible, cheers!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: asus vg248qe and couple (lightboost) questions

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2019, 03:21

Several monitor manufacturers have released many brands of Motion Blur Reduction in recent gaming displays, with names such as:

- Motion Blur Reduction
- LightBoost (by NVIDIA)
- ULMB – Ultra Low Motion Blur (by NVIDIA)
- DyAc – Dynamic Accuracy (by BenQ ZOWIE)
- ELMB – Extreme Low Motion Blur (by ASUS)
- VRB – Visual Response Boost (by Acer)
- MotionFlow Impulse (by Sony)
- 1ms MPRT (by LG) — up to 16x clearer motion than “1ms GtG“!

Also:

1. Currently, the "ULMB" brand is only available up to 144Hz (well, 155Hz with a hack)
2. You are referring to other LightBoost clones that can do higher Hz
3. The "LightBoost 10%" trick is not available with all blur reduction brands (LightBoost clones). If it is available, it is under a different adjustment such as "ULMB Pulse Width" or "Strobe Duty" or "Strobe Length"
4. Strobe crosstalk is worse at higher refresh rates.
5. If you need brightest at low persistence, stick with 240Hz 25 inch panels (as of this moment), they reach 300 nits strobed.
6. Lowest lag strobing is currently available in 240Hz monitors (even at lower-Hz strobing)

If you find adjustable-persistence important (like LightBoost 10% vs 50% vs 100%), then stick to BenQ/Zowie blur reduction, or NVIDIA-based blur reduction. Most other blur reduction brands do not have adjustable-persistence capability.

As far as I know, trying to meet the criteria reduces your 240Hz choices down to:

1. BenQ Zowie XL2546 (brighter than XL2540)
2. Any 25" 240Hz G-SYNC monitor

These will be roughly 300 nits strobed, while also giving you adjustable persistence better than LightBoost 10%, although there may be slightly more strobe crosstalk unless you do the dynamic-range-reduction trick, by avoiding problematic overdrive artifacts near full blacks/full whites.

These will produce similarly low strobe crosstalk when running at 144Hz (though XL2546 needs more tweaks, more time consuming to calibrate than LightBoost hack -- Large Vertical Total tweak). If you use Blur Busters Strobe Utility, get familiar with adjustment behaviours via animations.

These monitors are available in the monitor lists below. Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!