The fastest esports monitor is..?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MonarchX

The fastest esports monitor is..?

Post by MonarchX » 19 Jan 2019, 16:08

I'm mostly a SP gamer and would take an OLED TV with amazing contrast ratio over G-Sync display, have it professionally calibrated and enjoy my favorite RPG's in their full glory. I am now waiting for next-gen high-end HDMI 2.1 GPU with power for 4K 60fps gaming and an OLED TV with good VRR support.

However, I want the very opposite of that for super high intensity competitive online gaming. I can't play games like BF because I can't think at that medium pace and have patience for it. For me, it's either slow-paced SP gaming or Q3\UT\Doom pace.

For such fast-paced gaming, what is the fastest beast of a monitor out there? I'm talking about the best combo of high refresh rate, fast response times, and low input lag. I could care less for image quality for such gaming. 1080p will do just fine, TN will do just fine. I assume that ULMB has more advantage in such situations than G-Sync smoothness? Perhaps CRT is the way then?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: The fastest esports monitor is..?

Post by RealNC » 19 Jan 2019, 16:53

That upcoming 0.5ms 1440p 240Hz panel from LG would be a good bet.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 19 Jan 2019, 17:08

xl2540/xl2546/pg258q

troubleperson

Post by troubleperson » 20 Jan 2019, 00:35

RealNC wrote:That upcoming 0.5ms 1440p 240Hz panel from LG would be a good bet.
Which one is this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2019, 00:44

I think that was the Lenovo Y27g, not LG.
https://www.blurbusters.com/240-hz-1440 ... -ces-2019/
That definitely looked really sweet -- as long as you can sustain the 200fps+ leagues at 1440p, which requires a powerful GPU.

For easier 200fps+ (give or take), going down lower resolution to 1080p can be quite well-warranted.
The ones mentioned by Q83Ia7ta are pretty good recommendations too and widely found in eSports venues.

It depends on the game, some FPS games such as PUBG stutter so much that turning on GSYNC actually makes sometimes easier to aim -- but it's a matter of personal preference. For CS:GO many competitive gamers tend to turn off G-SYNC. And for other games that requires lots of eye tracking, you may to use ULMB. (See HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively). In this case, a 240Hz GSYNC or FreeSync monitor gives you all three options that you can toggle between: VSYNC OFF / GSYNC (or FreeSync) / ULMB (or ELMB in the Asus variants of 240Hz monitors)....
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!