55" Samsung NU8505 1440p@120hz UFO ghosting test

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
spyshagg

55" Samsung NU8505 1440p@120hz UFO ghosting test

Post by spyshagg » 08 Jan 2019, 10:16

Hello guys

Long time user of the site, first time poster :)

I got this 4k TV because of its much acclaimed gaming features (9ms input lag and fast pixel response) on the rtings review.

Upon connecting it to my PC and enabling 1440p@120hz (chroma 4:2:2), I noticed too much blurryness when moving in-game. For instance, in Blackops4 I face my view to a nice detailed wall texture, and when I move the camera everything is immensely blurry.

I ran the ghosting test and these are the results (never mind the focus, we are interested in the ghosting)

1440P@120hz clear motion off (no black frame insert)

1440P@120hz clear motion on (black frame insert)

Anyone else with TV's hooked up the the PC @ 120hz?

cheers

spyshagg

Re: 55" Samsung NU8505 1440p@120hz UFO ghosting test

Post by spyshagg » 09 Jan 2019, 03:43

Hello.

The severe ghosting above only appears in PC-mode. If you re-name your input to "game console", it becomes 80% better. The image also becomes clear and sharp, when in PC mode it was always generaly blurry even at native 4K@60. Picture quality is now 100% in console mode.

The latency penalty, from my human reaction test, increases about 20ms, which is a trade off I am happy to make.

Cheers

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2019, 03:56

Good job following the Easy Pursuit Camera HOWTO. A small bit of hand shakiness, but within only +/- one pixel error (or two) - insignificant for end user hand-wave railless pursuit camera!

Reviewers (e.g. TINGS, TFTCentral, etc) will want to be much more accurate than this, but this is the way End Users can easily do it with a simple hand-waved smartphone!

This looks expected for a VA panel with reduced overdrive processing.

Low-lag mode often uses inferior overdrive algorithms to reduce lag, which can then increase ghosting.
It could be better (some panels are). If your room is cold, let it warm up 30 min, and ghosting goes down for VA panels. This helps a lot for VA panels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spyshagg

Post by spyshagg » 09 Jan 2019, 07:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Good job following the Easy Pursuit Camera HOWTO. A small bit of hand shakiness, but within only +/- one pixel error - insignificant for end user hand-wave railless pursuit camera!

This looks expected for a VA panel with reduced overdrive processing.

Low-lag mode often uses inferior overdrive algorithms to reduce lag, which can then increase ghosting.
It could be better (some panels are). If your room is cold, let it warm up 30 min, and ghosting goes down for VA panels. This helps a lot for VA panels.
Thanks! Actually yes the room is very cold 10~15ºc. I did not know that it impacted VA. The ghosting on dark backgrounds (the upper UFO test) is very bad in PC-mode. Also, picture quality is pretty muddy.

But I found that If I name the input from PC -> Game Console, suddenly the dark ground ghosting is 80% improved! at the cost of slightly worse light-background ghosting, some added input latency (~20ms), but the great news is that the picture quality is now razor sharp!

Thanks for the help

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2019, 02:16

spyshagg wrote:But I found that If I name the input from PC -> Game Console, suddenly the dark ground ghosting is 80% improved! at the cost of slightly worse light-background ghosting, some added input latency (~20ms), but the great news is that the picture quality is now razor sharp!
That's the dynamic-range reduction trick. Also good for reducing strobe crosstalk, it is also a known workaround for VA panels.

Compressing RGB 0-255 range into the "16-235" range, this is a HDTV standardization, which appears to have triggered this feature when you renamed the input. Some TVs also have this setting, and may also sometimes be found in some graphics drivers settings screens. (That said; you don't want to do it twice -- that's worse -- do just only one dynamic-range compression step)

A similiar effect can be instead done via an alternative technically: digitally via the Contrast/Brightness adjustments of NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center too, as well. These adjust the picture digitally rather than adjusting the monitor, allowing black levels to be bumped bright-greyer above the problematic pixel-response greys. It reduces contrast ratio and sometimes makes colors worse on VA but it's one of the many solutions to reduce dark-ghosting on a VA panel.

Pros/Cons, obviously. But glad you found a solution that works for you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!