Yamakasi Catleap overclock on linux (RX580 amdgpu)

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
mahalel

Yamakasi Catleap overclock on linux (RX580 amdgpu)

Post by mahalel » 17 Jan 2019, 14:46

Hello everyone, I have searched your forums (which are a great resource by the way) but I can't see anything about this.
It's a bit of a longshot but I am running Ubuntu 18.10 on my main machine and play games on steam, really only Rocket League.

I have a Yamakasi Catleap monitor which historically I can push to about 2560x1440 @ 110hz without any artifacts.

Up until recently I had a R9 280x gpu and set a custom refresh rate of 96hz via xrandr, everything worked well and smooth and I was happy, but the frames weren't that good at 2560x1440.

I have just upgraded to a 580X 8gb AMD card and I thought it would be as easy as using the same xrandr command, but whenever I try to apply that refresh rate to DVI-D-0 I get an error of "Configure crtc 0 failed". I just can't seem to push past 60hz on this card.

I've tried various things, like setting custom EDID in xorg.conf and using a hacked EDID which is supposed to advertise 96hz as a valid refresh rate but it doesn't seem to apply at all.

I'm a bit down in the rabbit hole at the moment and 60hz just feels like dogshit to me, so I am desperately hoping there's someone else on this forum with a similar setup that can give me some advice :)

The alternative is installing Windows but I get shivers when I entertain that thought so I'd like to get this working if possible.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Yamakasi Catleap overclock on linux (RX580 amdgpu)

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2019, 16:04

Does the video card have another DVI port? Is yes, try another one. Some video cards have two DVI ports, only one of which is actually DL-DVI.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2019, 20:52

Yes, try a different DVI port.

Also, I've seen dual-link DVI cables fail and become single-link DVI cables. Switch cables if needed.

I've also seen failed DVI ports too.

Could also be a driver issue with 580 on Linux not enabling dual-link DVI.

Unorthodox workarounds could include DisplayPort-to-DualLink DVI adaptors, or HDMI2-to-DualLink DVI. They're not always very reliable, but can bypass a GPU-side unexpected refusal of dual-link DVI for any hardware/software reason. Get a high-rated adaptor that has success reports of 1440p 120Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mahalel

Post by mahalel » 23 Jan 2019, 18:25

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Only one DVI port on the GPU unfortunately.
I have borrowed a different monitor which has an EDID advertising 2560x1440 @ 120hz
xrandr still only detects 2560x1440 @ 60hz

I think I will temporarily boot windows to see if this is purely a driver issue. I suspect the amdgpu driver is locking the clocks at a certain value.

Will report once I've made more progress, thanks for the advice so far.

SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn » 12 Nov 2019, 21:43

mahalel wrote:Hey, thanks for the replies.

Only one DVI port on the GPU unfortunately.
I have borrowed a different monitor which has an EDID advertising 2560x1440 @ 120hz
xrandr still only detects 2560x1440 @ 60hz

I think I will temporarily boot windows to see if this is purely a driver issue. I suspect the amdgpu driver is locking the clocks at a certain value.

Will report once I've made more progress, thanks for the advice so far.
Hello, sorry for bringing this thread back to life but I wanted to ask you if you made any progress with Overclocking your Catleap on Linux. I too am running MX19 Linux (buster based) with a Yamakasi Catleap and a R9 290. I also can do as much as 120Hz on Windows, but I normally run 96Hz just in case its easier on the electronics and I find it just fine for my gaming needs.

However, this year I decided to start migrating my gaming to Linux simply because it is getting so much better recently. But I would like my 96Hz back. I have tried all the methods I can find to no avail. I keep getting artifacts, flickering etc when I go much over 75Hz and blank completely out at around 85Hz. Not sure I understand why this would be the case considering this display happily runs at 120Hz in Windows if I wanted to. I've now spent two solid days trying to get back the 96Hz.

Did you succeed getting back your Overclock?