[Old Thread] Why I'm done with 240hz

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
pox02

Re: Why I'm done with 240hz

Post by pox02 » 29 Jan 2019, 13:46

monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 29 Jan 2019, 16:47

Seems like they perfected what was already almost perfect. I can warranty you no one loses anything by going XG2402 route instead of any 240hz monitor I tried. Input lag almost the same (even considering 144hz vs 240hz), pixel response time way better! By far my fav gaming monitor.

That new XG240R model is listed as 349€ here on Amazon DE tho... too expensive, better wait for a price drop and will see if I can get one myself!

noname

Post by noname » 29 Jan 2019, 19:15

Actually i've got the xl2546 from april 2018, while doing fast movement with the mouse it's impossible to see the correct image to the screen and it's actually a total pain even @steady 240hz. I had an xl2411z and i managed to setup it very good and see every fast motion really clearly. with these new 240hz its impossible to see correctly fast motions. Am i the only one noticing this? Im interested to buy a ViewSonic XG240R, is it better than a xl2411z wich i sold and im regretting about it?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 29 Jan 2019, 21:29

noname wrote:Actually i've got the xl2546 from april 2018, while doing fast movement with the mouse it's impossible to see the correct image to the screen and it's actually a total pain even @steady 240hz. I had an xl2411z and i managed to setup it very good and see every fast motion really clearly. with these new 240hz its impossible to see correctly fast motions. Am i the only one noticing this? Im interested to buy a ViewSonic XG240R, is it better than a xl2411z wich i sold and im regretting about it?
Just another 240hz monitors problem! Pixel response time can´t keep up. Look:

This is Benq XL2540 monitor response time at 240hz, reviewed by rtings:

This is ViewSonic XG2402 monitor response time at 144hz, reviewed by rtings:

That´s why I usually say we need 240hz 0,5ms (or less) monitors badly! 1ms clearly can´t keep up. I know what you are describing. When you do slightly fast movements, 240hz motion clarity improvements over 144hz can be seen and felt. If you do really fast ones it goes really bad, suddenly full of blur right? I know that feeling. And this happens already when you have steady 240fps. On engines where you can´t keep the framerate stable it only gets worse and worse.

I want to try the new XG240R but it costs 350€ now on the only European store that has it available (amazon DE). I´m having a lot of trouble selling all my 240hz monitors, no one seem to want them, so I need to calm down spending money on monitors and won´t defo buy the new XG24 for that price. If I sell my 240hz units than I might get one.

For now as it is, my 2 fav gaming monitors:

- ViewSonic XG2402 (for best pixel response time on FPS games)
- MSI Optix MAG241C (for someone that prefers image quality)

240hz will only be used by me when we have better CPUs (maybe in 2 generations, won´t come any soon) and better matured 240hz panels with 0,5ms max response time (GtG).

noname

Post by noname » 29 Jan 2019, 22:05

Notty_PT wrote: That´s why I usually say we need 240hz 0,5ms (or less) monitors badly! 1ms clearly can´t keep up. I know what you are describing. When you do slightly fast movements, 240hz motion clarity improvements over 144hz can be seen and felt. If you do really fast ones it goes really bad, suddenly full of blur right? I know that feeling. And this happens already when you have steady 240fps. On engines where you can´t keep the framerate stable it only gets worse and worse.
that's so true, seems like there is an unstable delay between the monitor and the pc @240hz even having 240fps stable.
tried with rtss locking perfect frames to the monitor's refresh but looking the same jittery blurry image while doing fast movements.
my aim is 300% better with 120hz(120fps) even with a lot higher input delay but my aim goes where i want to even with that delay.(my monitor still hard doubling image and stuttering @120hz but i think its just the panel that sucks honestly)
240hz is a complete mess if u want to improve playing because u will always be capped from the wrong images u see. limiting you so hard in your games.
maybe we just got some defective panels but u tested so many and having the same artifacts from all of them.

this is a comment from a direct buyer of the XG240R btw:
So I was going to get the XG2402 model and I saw this was just released. Basically RGB and says Elite. This is not Elite by any means. The writing on the monitor is smeared. Also there is backlight bleed on a tn panel... stay far away my friends.
He's mentioning some problems about the monitor, maybe just a defective panel.

is that really good as they say? maybe the xg2402 is still better overall.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 29 Jan 2019, 22:49

noname wrote:
Notty_PT wrote: That´s why I usually say we need 240hz 0,5ms (or less) monitors badly! 1ms clearly can´t keep up. I know what you are describing. When you do slightly fast movements, 240hz motion clarity improvements over 144hz can be seen and felt. If you do really fast ones it goes really bad, suddenly full of blur right? I know that feeling. And this happens already when you have steady 240fps. On engines where you can´t keep the framerate stable it only gets worse and worse.
that's so true, seems like there is an unstable delay between the monitor and the pc @240hz even having 240fps stable.
tried with rtss locking perfect frames to the monitor's refresh but looking the same jittery blurry image while doing fast movements.
my aim is 300% better with 120hz(120fps) even with a lot higher input delay but my aim goes where i want to even with that delay.(my monitor still hard doubling image and stuttering @120hz but i think its just the panel that sucks honestly)
240hz is a complete mess if u want to improve playing because u will always be capped from the wrong images u see. limiting you so hard in your games.
maybe we just got some defective panels but u tested so many and having the same artifacts from all of them.

this is a comment from a direct buyer of the XG240R btw:
So I was going to get the XG2402 model and I saw this was just released. Basically RGB and says Elite. This is not Elite by any means. The writing on the monitor is smeared. Also there is backlight bleed on a tn panel... stay far away my friends.
He's mentioning some problems about the monitor, maybe just a defective panel.

is that really good as they say? maybe the xg2402 is still better overall.
According to PCmonitors review and Prad, it is better than the XG2402. Maybe that guy got a bad sample, it happens a lot!

If you can aim well on your bad 120hz panel, I can warranty you "gonna fly" on a XG2402. And I understand what you mean about losing track. I also aim at least as good on 144hz as I do with 240hz, as you can see on my first post after 100 rounds of Aim Hero case test. I even had lower score at 240hz and capped steady frames. Altho could be margin of error. One thing I am sure, I aim way better with steady 138fps compared to floaty 180-240 at 240hz. And now with VRR available on most monitors, even better. I really think Gsync/FreeSync + steady consistent 138fps cap on a good 144hz monitor, will make you play your best. VRR added even more motion clarity.

If you have "problems" dealing with the inferir motion clarity on 120hz/144hz, because your brain got used to 240hz, the trick is using 60hz/85hz for 3 or 4 days. Play a lot with that, resist to increasing refresh rate, don´t do it. Trust me, once you go back to 144hz after 1 week your brain will think again that "nothing can be smoother and clearer than this". So if you don´t like 240hz just like me, get rid of it. I´m having problems selling them tho.

noname

Post by noname » 29 Jan 2019, 23:43

It's the same monitor (xl2546) but capped @120hz and i still see the image doubling if i move my mouse a little faster. If i move it from left to right and viceversa repeatedly the monitor starts producing like 10 copies of the same model thru the screen statically but if i move it slow enough this problem doesn't exist. Is my panel faulty? What else could it be? All the test from blurbusters doesn't show what im trying to say, instead, everything i see in these test is good bit ingame if i swipe fast the image starts duplicating alot. Any suggestion? Does it do that to you too?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 30 Jan 2019, 01:56

All 240hz monitors, apart from Asus XG248Q wich uses a different panel, are really terrible at any refresh rate different from 240hz! Not only they have non optimal overdrive, but also the input lag goes nuts, way higher than a proper native 120hz monitor.

I think the best you can do, if you can invest, is trying a XG2402 and compare it to the 240hz. I am sure you will keep the ViewSonic afterwards, but try it for yourself! Get from amazon or some store with a good return policy, nothing to lose!

noname

Post by noname » 30 Jan 2019, 08:52

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 30 Jan 2019, 12:18

noname wrote:If i move it from left to right and viceversa repeatedly the monitor starts producing like 10 copies of the same model thru the screen statically but if i move it slow enough this problem doesn't exist.
One year ago i had a CRT at 160hz. I did the same left/right movement and got the same results as you.
Maybe the phospor was too old but i believe even on a CRT this happens if you move too fast.

Notty_PT is the one to ask for a blur sample.
I'm waiting for XG2402 price to go down in my country.

I think ViewSonic should have added for XG240R some better speakers and some blur reduction mode instead of the RGB light, to add value to the monitor and gain more users. Maybe with these, the 350€ would be worth it for some.
I would not use blur reduction due to flickering and added input lag but at least people would have a choice.