BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
GitDat

BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Post by GitDat » 26 Dec 2013, 15:05

Any idea yet on the pricing and availability yet of the BENQ XL2720Z? Will this monitor be able to do strobing at 120Hz? I thought I had read the Blur Buster chief say it only had strobing modes for 75Hz and 144Hz. 120Hz seems to be the sweet spot for minimal mouse lag and obtainable frame rates so I hope that's an option.

Will the strobing brightness percentage be selectable? 100% is perfect for me on the ASUS as it was the brightest and eliminated the motion blur to my eyes :)
Cougar Conquer 2 | MSI Meg Z390 Godlike | 9900K | NZXT Kraken X72 | 32GB TridentZ RGB 3600MHz | RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD RAID-0 | Corsair AX860 | 3DMark Port Royal - 14204 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Triple 32" Samsung CHG70 | Samsung CHG90 Super-Ultrawide Auxiliary

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Dec 2013, 20:05

UPDATE (March 2014):
Blur Busters Strobe Utility is now RELEASED
http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility/

GitDat wrote:Any idea yet on the pricing and availability yet of the BENQ XL2720Z? Will this monitor be able to do strobing at 120Hz? I thought I had read the Blur Buster chief say it only had strobing modes for 75Hz and 144Hz. 120Hz seems to be the sweet spot for minimal mouse lag and obtainable frame rates so I hope that's an option.
Oh, I actually said it could do strobing at any refresh rate anywhere between 75Hz and 144Hz, inclusive. That means all refresh rates, in 1Hz increments. You can get 89Hz strobing, or 117Hz strobing, and yes, 120Hz.

The lower, the brighter.
The higher, the clearer.
The lower, the less GPU for the "stroberate = framerate" motion clarity nirvana.
The higher, the less input lag.
The higher, the less flicker.
So there's pros/cons of a higher versus lower stroberate.
GitDat wrote:Will the strobing brightness percentage be selectable? 100% is perfect for me on the ASUS as it was the brightest and eliminated the motion blur to my eyes :)
The strobe brightness is adjustable, but I'm currently pushing for strobe width adjustment rather than strobe height adjustment. Shorter strobes are dimmer but yields clearer motion in a tradeoff between brightness-versus-motion-clarity, explained at http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/10vs50vs100 - LightBoost 10% versus 50% versus 100%.

Keep tuned for the Blur Busters review!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 30 Dec 2013, 22:53

Is it true that the EIZO 240Hz monitor is brighter than the BenQ in strobing mode? I'm hoping they can tweak the strobing technology over time so that the brightness is not affected at all.
Cougar Conquer 2 | MSI Meg Z390 Godlike | 9900K | NZXT Kraken X72 | 32GB TridentZ RGB 3600MHz | RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD RAID-0 | Corsair AX860 | 3DMark Port Royal - 14204 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Triple 32" Samsung CHG70 | Samsung CHG90 Super-Ultrawide Auxiliary

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 31 Dec 2013, 04:09

The ultimate display is going to appear to the eye to be more like a CRT with a top-to-bottom scan process. In addition, the waveform of the brightness of the lit pixel should also fade leaving a faint trail in the retina. The eye's sensitivity to light is not linear with brightness. It is for this reason that the light should fall off with something besides what approximates a trailing edge of a on-to-off digital transition. This falloff is critical to having an improved sense of brightness without strictly being only width or only height as described by Mark. An idealized 4K LCD display will light exactly one row of pixels at a time. This is ideal in order to reduce latency as well when the input signal from the computer is fast enough to scan the LCD elements in real-time from the signal of the display's output.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2013, 05:46

Ahigh wrote:The ultimate display is going to appear to the eye to be more like a CRT with a top-to-bottom scan process. In addition, the waveform of the brightness of the lit pixel should also fade leaving a faint trail in the retina. The eye's sensitivity to light is not linear with brightness. It is for this reason that the light should fall off with something besides what approximates a trailing edge of a on-to-off digital transition. This falloff is critical to having an improved sense of brightness without strictly being only width or only height as described by Mark. An idealized 4K LCD display will light exactly one row of pixels at a time. This is ideal in order to reduce latency as well when the input signal from the computer is fast enough to scan the LCD elements in real-time from the signal of the display's output.
I think rolling-scan OLED's are the easiest way to achieve CRT emulation.
High speed video of Sony OLED rolling scan
This is easier to do with OLED's than LCD's. It does not simulate the decay effect, but it demonstrates the rest of the concept.
Brighten the OLED elements, shorten the rolling scan (OFF pass closely chasing the ON pass), and you'll get pretty close. Adding the decay effect to an active matrix OLED is a lot more challenging, but probably achievable via either row voltage manipulation or FADE refresh passes (scan line refreshes with darkened pixels) chasing after the ON scan pass.

At stroberates over 100Hz, I personally don't care about decay (and it becomes an engineering complication with not much risk-reward), but I realize it can certainly soften the flicker and make it more tolerable to some people. Especially if you are trying to do 60Hz and emulation. At stroberates of 240Hz (e.g. tomorrow's low-persistence 240Hz displays) it might actually become more of a moot factor.

That said -- for the word "ultimate display" -- my opinion of the ultimate display is actually not a CRT, but a flickerfree framerateless (continuous motion display, a concept that is extremely hard to engineer) or an ultra-high-framerate display (>1000fps@1000Hz). CRT clarity without CRT flicker (no flicker even under high speed camera), would be a big engineering challenge. Basically, achieving low persistence without the use of strobing, decay or light modulation. Which is an engineering challenge. Unfortunately, doing low persistence with no strobing/flicker, requires ultra high framerates at the moment. One bandwidth-lowering shortcut to this, may be an eye-tracked display that refresh faster only where the eyes are currently pointing at. Another advantage of ultrahigh refresh rates is less stroboscopic effects (less mouse dropping effect, less wagonwheel effect). Scientifically, you would need a flickerfree display of approximately 700fps@700Hz (1/700sec = 1.4ms) in order to have a display of 1.4ms persistence, without needing flicker/decay/strobing, the same persistence as LightBoost=10%.

However, the "ultimate CRT replacement", probably will be a low-persistence rolling-scan OLED with elements bright enough to simulate the insane brightness of CRT (thousands of candelas per square meter) during the briefness of illumination. As much an engineering challenge OLED's are, I think that's currently the easier ultimate CRT replacement, over the long term. I feel gaming monitor manufacturers should consider designing a rolling-scan OLED, with an adjustable persistence (adjustable chase distance between OFF scan behind ON scan), and a goal of 2ms persistence, preferably 1ms (And eventually 0.5ms, since I can easily tell apart 1ms persistence and 2ms persistence during http://www.testufo.com/photo motion tests). And they easily go flickerfree (sample-and-hold) via a button or flick of a switch, for the flickerfree static text reading experience, for those who prefers that. Also, OLED are technologically very GSYNC friendly (at least in sample-and-hold mode), and even it should be possible to design a dynamic rolling scan that permits low-persistence GSYNC capability (variable-rate strobing), though it may have to execute repeat refreshes at a floor (e.g. 60Hz or 75Hz) to prevent obnoxious flicker.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 31 Dec 2013, 23:54

You guys are talking just a tad over my head :) So the EIZO is brighter than? :D lol
This monitor needs to hurry up and be released. Credit card ready!

Haste

Post by Haste » 01 Jan 2014, 18:59

I'm pretty interested by this monitor!

If I understand correctly, the built-in strobing mode can be used up to 144Hz where Lightboost only works up to 120Hz.
That's pretty neat.
It's also nice that it's just a monitor setting and it doesn't require you to fiddle with "ToastyX Strobelight App" or other methods.

I hope the fact that it's an official feature will make it work better than Lightboost (I read a lot of complaints about washed out colors and lower contrast issues with Lightboost)

I'm eagerly waiting for your review Mark!

Ps: If possible, could you test "the display lag" of this monitor against other 120/144hz strobing-friendly monitors in your upcoming review?

Thank you in advance.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

DouglasTwice

Post by DouglasTwice » 02 Jan 2014, 00:38

NCIX now lists these monitors as "In Stock" (3-5 days) in the U.S. and "In Stock" (1-2 days) Canada.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 02 Jan 2014, 03:31

and XL2420Z with XL2720Z are in stock in China :)
prices differs a lot with NCIX

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 02 Jan 2014, 08:04

$499 on NCIX - USA :) Limit 1 per customer but I just tried to order 3 of them.. lol