Frame stuttering in most games.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
recon

Frame stuttering in most games.

Post by recon » 01 Feb 2019, 02:26

Hello there, as the title suggests, I have really bad frame stuttering and input lag in most games.
My monitor is a XL2720t Benq, it is a 120hz monitor. when I play games like Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch I have my mouse movement feels really off, like something is bottle necking the sync of the frames to my monitor...
With my searching of the internet I have found some people with the same problem as me, but zero fixes.
Here is an exact example of the input lag/frame stuttering that I get especially in Team Fortress 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJwuKmXjzo

This happens 99% of the time. The weird thing is sometimes I can load into TF2 and it is buttery smooth, and the game feels noticeably different, and smooth and playable, with zero of this frame jitter nonsense. Then after a reboot of the game, bang, it's back to laggy frames etc... very strange and frustrating because of my specs. I don't have any programs running in the background that should not be there. I am currently on a fresh install of windows with the games I like to play redownloaded etc..

PC specs-
GFX: 1080ti EVGA
i7 6700k
16gig ram @ 3200mhz
SSD 120gig Samsung pro
EVGA 700watt PSU
Asus z170Aar Mobo

What I have tried.
- Reinstalling windows multiple times to try different drivers (gfx drivers etc...)
- Reinstalling games
- Tried different mice, I have a large collection of gaming mice, they all do the same thing
- tried multiple fixes from the internet including changing NVIDIA control panel settings to high performance etc..
- Tried changing registry settings fixes with no avail.

I have attached some pictures from https://www.vsynctester.com/ from what I have read on their website that this is not normal, so I am not sure but if this info is useful to anyone who can help, thanks in advance. Cheers, Garry.
Attachments
vsynctest2.JPG
vsynctest2.JPG (134.7 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
vsynctest1.JPG
vsynctest1.JPG (215.82 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

Kheri

Re: Frame stuttering in most games.

Post by Kheri » 01 Feb 2019, 04:38

Did you try RTSS or some other fps capping software?

recon

Post by recon » 01 Feb 2019, 04:57

G'day mate, no I haven't tried RTSS. What is it? Does FPS capping software help with frame stuttering? I have also tried capping my FPS in game as well (fps_max) but still have the stutters.

MT_

Post by MT_ » 02 Feb 2019, 21:49

You should fix (or try to minimize) frametime spikes/stuttering at the core level rather than using G-sync/V-sync/framecapping to compensate.

Factors which should be applied to an already optimized situation, which clearly it doesn't sound like it to me.

Too many people just try to apply these technologies to compensate for an atrociously running misconfigurated system etc..

Cant be more helpful at this point, but stuttering can be caused by so many different factors, you could even bump into a game that is so poorly coded that even the fastest PC has horrible frametimes. but more often than not its a misconfigured system, or a combination of various factors.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2019, 06:05

This looks like severe microstutter. RTSS might be able to fix it, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place. I don't know what's causing it, but I've heard that some software that was installed on the system can cause it. IIRC, some gaming mouse software had this issue (Razer, I think?)

Also, some people get issues like this after they apply "tweaks" on their systems or games that they find on the internet. Most of the time, these "tweaks" make things worse.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ko4

Post by ko4 » 03 Feb 2019, 11:13

I had stutter while Discord window was open behind the game. If you use discord try closing it or minimizing it