240hz monitor micro stutter / screen tear issue?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Elf

240hz monitor micro stutter / screen tear issue?

Post by Elf » 02 Feb 2019, 18:50

Hello, I have a 240hz monitor and if my FPS goes over my refresh rate even by 2 or 3 frames there is this micro stutter, screen tear or something it's very hard to explain but it makes the game not smooth like some sort of micro stutter. For example, if I run 240hz @300FPS it will feel like its running at a much lower refresh rate. BUT if I cap FPS at 236 with g-sync on it goes back normal and smooth again. I can't cap FPS at 236 for every game without other softwares I don't want to do that. It still happens with fast sync, and v sync is a big no no

*This is very odd because @240hz 300FPS I don't see any tearing unless I really try to find them

Any help is appreciated :D

System:
RTX 2080TI
i7 8700k
16gb 3000mhz ram
Nvidia Driver 417.71
Windows 10 latest version

Notty_PT

Re: 240hz monitor micro stutter / screen tear issue?

Post by Notty_PT » 02 Feb 2019, 19:35

That´s normal! You are feeding 3 to 60 extra fps to your monitor, wich it can´t handle, so the image quality, specifically motion will degrade. Everything will seem stuttery or juddery. This is why no one should ever have a framerate higher than the refresh rate on any monitor, unless you can´t really buy a 144hz/240hz high refresh monitor and are stuck to 60hz/75hz and want the absolute minimum input lag.

Your only solution is indeed capping the framerate. May I ask you on wich games are you constantly hitting 300fps tho? Because I´m sure it is an old engine and most of them have ways to cap framerate internally via options meny or console.

I swear that one of things that trigger me the most, is watching some of my fav streamers playing on 144hz monitor and with uncapped fps, in 200 fps territory. I don´t even know how someone can play games with the framerate higher than the refresh rate, it is a complete mess to my eyes and affects motion clarity a lot.

Elf

Post by Elf » 02 Feb 2019, 21:27

Notty_PT wrote:That´s normal! You are feeding 3 to 60 extra fps to your monitor, wich it can´t handle, so the image quality, specifically motion will degrade. Everything will seem stuttery or juddery. This is why no one should ever have a framerate higher than the refresh rate on any monitor, unless you can´t really buy a 144hz/240hz high refresh monitor and are stuck to 60hz/75hz and want the absolute minimum input lag.

Your only solution is indeed capping the framerate. May I ask you on wich games are you constantly hitting 300fps tho? Because I´m sure it is an old engine and most of them have ways to cap framerate internally via options meny or console.

I swear that one of things that trigger me the most, is watching some of my fav streamers playing on 144hz monitor and with uncapped fps, in 200 fps territory. I don´t even know how someone can play games with the framerate higher than the refresh rate, it is a complete mess to my eyes and affects motion clarity a lot.
Thanks for the reply, It all of a sudden started happening a few days ago before it was fine there were screen tearing but it was definitely not stuttery , also the games I play that hit 300 FPS are Overwatch Fortnite and CSGO. I know how cap on all 3

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 02 Feb 2019, 21:48

You should defo cap framerate to around 237 on all of them! All of those 3 games have good in game limiters with a lot of precision.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2019, 07:35

Elf wrote:I can't cap FPS at 236 for every game without other softwares I don't want to do that.
Why not?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.