IPS Monitor with motion blur reduction on 60Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Awareness-Kindness

IPS Monitor with motion blur reduction on 60Hz

Post by Awareness-Kindness » 04 Feb 2019, 14:57

Hi

I'm looking for an IPS monitor that can convert a 60Hz HDMI-signal to 100Hz or higher and then apply some motion blur reduction technique to it.

The screen should be FullHD or 4K.

What I really want to do is to be able to play games on my Nintendo Switch with good image quality and very little motion blur. The Nintendo Switch outputs a 60Hz video signal. Is an IPS monitor as described above the best way to go or do you have some other recommendation?

Kind regards.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: IPS Monitor with motion blur reduction on 60Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Feb 2019, 15:54

Awareness-Kindness wrote:I'm looking for an IPS monitor that can convert a 60Hz HDMI-signal to 100Hz or higher and then apply some motion blur reduction technique to it.
What you're looking for is interpolation, but interpolation adds latency.
There are some special game-mode interpolation algorithms I've been hearing about that adds just one frame of latency.

However, problems:

1. Only television sets (not monitors) have the interpolation feature.
2. You generally get superior motion blur reduction if you use pure strobe-based motion blur reduction on full framerate material (e.g. 60fps at 60Hz). This means sticking to 60fps switch games (not 30fps) and using a form of black frame insertion
3. Switch games often run at 30fps.
4. Very view displays do low-latency console-friendly interpolation, and all of them are televisions.

Among these, if you want to save money, getting a used/refurb of the early-2018 Samsung NU8000 series HDTV that has a low-lag interpolation mode that only adds approximately one frame of latency. It's the Samsung NU8000 series HDTV. (The smallest two are the 49 inch and the 55 inch, the sizes go all the way up to 82 inch). The 55" can sell used/refurbished for about 550 dollars, which is not too bad compared to today's GSYNC/FreeSync desktop gaming monitors containing blur reduction features.

The default game mode is around 18 milliseconds lag, with an interpolation to 60fps of 23 milliseconds lag, and interpolation to 120fps of 29 milliseconds lag. So extremely low latency for interpolation!

Although massive for a monitor, the 49 inch model is roughly similiar in cost to some high end gaming monitors, and you could make it work as a monitor by mounting the wall at the very back of a deep desk (or desk slightly pushed back from wall) to give you the necessary ~4 feet viewing distance ("48 inch viewing distance from a 48 inch display"), so that it doesn't feel too big compared to 2 feet viewing from a 24" ("24 inch viewing distance from a 24 inch display"). Obviously, this depends on your goals.

You will not find game-mode interpolation in any desktop gaming monitor (currently).

So your choice is limited to appropriate televisions similar to these. You will have to rely on some of the low-lag interpolated game modes if this is what you're looking for (instead of traditional strobe-based blur reduction). Be noted that there are potential artifacts of traditional interpolation modes (soap opera effect) but some people do like this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Awareness-Kindness

Post by Awareness-Kindness » 05 Feb 2019, 10:26

I was hoping that you in particular would reply and am so happy that you did. Got a few follow-up questions if you don't mind.

• Q1: Do you know of any monitor (not TV) that would give good image quality and very little motion blur on a 60Hz signal? It doesn't matter if it uses interpolation, strobe technique, etc.. Latency is not that much of an issue for me.
  • Q2: What TV product series would you recommend that has good image quality and very little motion blur on a 60Hz signal? It doesn't have to be very big.

Q3 (not very important): Didn't you say in another thread that the BenQ Zowie can convert 60Hz to 120Hz and then apply strobe to it? (viewtopic.php?t=3585#p28486, point 4). Does it have bad image quality?

Awareness-Kindness

Post by Awareness-Kindness » 05 Feb 2019, 14:09

Hi, I apologize. I now saw that you had already recommended a TV set in your last reply. But what TV set would you recommend if not limited to interpolation (see my previous reply)? Latency isn't much of a problem to me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Feb 2019, 22:16

Awareness-Kindness wrote:Q1: Do you know of any monitor (not TV) that would give good image quality and very little motion blur on a 60Hz signal? It doesn't matter if it uses interpolation, strobe technique, etc.. Latency is not that much of an issue for me.
BenQ Zowie XL2411P using Blur Busters Strobe Utility at www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility
This is assuming low blur (CRT motion clarity) is a higher priority than flicker-free and color quality.
Awareness-Kindness wrote:Q2: What TV product series would you recommend that has good image quality and very little motion blur on a 60Hz signal? It doesn't have to be very big.
For low-motion-blur TVs, research www.rtings.com -- they use some Blur Busters testing techniques.
Awareness-Kindness wrote:Q3 (not very important): Didn't you say in another thread that the BenQ Zowie can convert 60Hz to 120Hz and then apply strobe to it? (viewtopic.php?t=3585#p28486, point 4). Does it have bad image quality?
Wrong. It doesn't convert 60Hz to 120Hz.

Single-strobe means native 60Hz strobe at 60fps.

Double-strobe means two flashes per 60Hz frame (120 flashes per second).

This is undesirable due to the double-image (Strobed 60fps@120Hz-flicker has a doiuble-image effect like 30fps at 60Hz CRT).

Some BenQ Zowies single-strobe at 60Hz and some BenQ Zowies douible-strobe at 60Hz. The best single-strobe is the XL2411P.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!