Samsung Q9 FreeSync Question

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
BlackGuyRX

Samsung Q9 FreeSync Question

Post by BlackGuyRX » 05 Feb 2019, 19:10

I'm considering saving my pennies for a Samsung QLED mainly for it's FreeSync support but I wanted to know something. With FreeSync in 4K, it caps out at 60hz and you can have up 144hz in I believe both 1440p and 1080p. Is there any way possible to get just a little bit of a higher refresh rate on these models at 4K? I ask because a good chunk of the console and arcade games I emulate go outside 60hz just a little bit (60.61 for several early arcade games, 60.08hz for NES & SNES, etc)
I plan on eventually building a mini PC with multimedia and RetroArch/Lakka in mind and wanna take advantage of FreeSync via AMD and wanted to know if even squeezing a hair more refresh rate in 4K was possible.

I know I should probably wait for LG's upcoming OLED TVs since they're supposed to support 4K at naitive 120hz but i'm kinda paranoid about spending a lot on a TV that could end up getting burn-in.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Samsung Q9 FreeSync Question

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Feb 2019, 01:18

BlackGuyRX wrote:I'm considering saving my pennies for a Samsung QLED mainly for it's FreeSync support but I wanted to know something. With FreeSync in 4K, it caps out at 60hz and you can have up 144hz in I believe both 1440p and 1080p. Is there any way possible to get just a little bit of a higher refresh rate on these models at 4K?
Yes, I was able to overclock some 4K60 displays to around 61Hz (ish) or fractionally.

There is usually a ~1 Hz tolerance in many displays.
Overclock results are sometimes mixed, however.
BlackGuyRX wrote: I ask because a good chunk of the console and arcade games I emulate go outside 60hz just a little bit (60.61 for several early arcade games, 60.08hz for NES & SNES, etc)
I plan on eventually building a mini PC with multimedia and RetroArch/Lakka in mind and wanna take advantage of FreeSync via AMD and wanted to know if even squeezing a hair more refresh rate in 4K was possible.
One idea is to simply slow down emulation fractionally, e.g. 0.5% or 1% slower than realtime -- to make it fit within the Hz budget.

Also, if you plan to use variable refresh rate, you want roughly ~1Hz-3Hz headroom at 60Hz, so you want a VRR range extending to around 61Hz to 63Hz, for ultralow-lag 4K 60fps FreeSync.

There are other lag-reducing tricks such as RetroArch's RunAhead technique, though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!