S-Sync combined with other different syncs?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Litzner

S-Sync combined with other different syncs?

Post by Litzner » 05 Feb 2019, 21:52

I am currently using S-Sync+No-vsync and I noticed there are write ups about how to combine S-Sync with V-Sync and FastSync. I was wondering why you would do this, what advantage or situations would make you want to combine S-Sync with the other syncs? What are the pros and cons of each combination?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: S-Sync combined with other different syncs?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Feb 2019, 02:45

You're probably following the Scanline Sync HOWTO.

The latency differences of all of them is similar (within roughly 1-2ms). What happens is what kind of disadvantage you get when you've got those frametime spikes. i.e. Do you want a tearline during a frametime spike, or do you want a single microstutter during a frametime spike? You choose the con you prefer.

Full framerate
RTSS + Any sync = Identical look with almost identical lag

Framerate Slowdowns
RTSS + VSYNC OFF = tearlines will reappear
RTSS + Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync / VSYNC ON = stutters will reappear

Choose Your Preference
Some people are more sensitive to stutters.
Some people are more sensitive to tearing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Feb 2019, 06:14

Litzner wrote:I am currently using S-Sync+No-vsync and I noticed there are write ups about how to combine S-Sync with V-Sync
You can't do that. S-sync only works when the game is running vsync OFF.

Fast sync works because fast sync still runs games with vsync OFF.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 06 Feb 2019, 11:12

For me I will take a tear line over a stutter.

Thank you very much for the info!

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 06 Feb 2019, 12:42

And and I want to apologize for this extra thread, I just noticed I completely missed that this was already in a How To :cry:

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 06 Feb 2019, 13:12

One more question, if I can bother further, in combination with Lightboost, if I am running a 2xS-Sync setup, so 240fps@120Hz, is there difference between doing it with NoSync or FastSync+SyncScanLine1?