RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
mist

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by mist » 06 Feb 2019, 07:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote: You have to edit your RTSS config file to enable the hotkeys.
Yes, i set SyncHotkeys=1 under [Framerate] section in Global.cfg and mygame.cfg but no luck. I cant control tearline via hotkeys, only manual set in rtss.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: You can also try increasing SyncFlush -- use SyncFlush=1 -- to see if the tearline tames a bit.

Yes, you essentially need to be fully 60fps all the time with Scanline Sync. Even 59.99fps or 59.98fps will cause tearline movement. So disabling certain features like shadows and lowering AA may be needed to get Scanline Sync to work well.

Another alternative is to simply combine Scanline Sync with Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync -- but it requires some special calibration of the tearline first (see HOWTO)
Thanks a lot for support :) I am try all you say and report about result, ok?

PS sorry for may bad english :oops:

PPS what index i must set to SyncScanline0 on 1920x1200 monitor? For Upper or Bottom border.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Feb 2019, 09:28

For the hotkeys to work, you need to have scanline sync disabled when you start the game, AFAIK. That is, use scanline 0. I have no idea why it was done that way, but the developer said it was done on purpose.

As for what scanline to sync against, it's different for different games and different GPUs. You don't need the hotkeys though. You can just alt+tab to RTSS, decrease the value, and alt+tab back to the game. So you can try -50, then -100, then -150, etc.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Feb 2019, 17:43

mist wrote:PPS what index i must set to SyncScanline0 on 1920x1200 monitor? For Upper or Bottom border.
It's person-specific, game-specific, GPU-specific, system-specific.

You have to calibrate the number by human eye. The easiest is to use the hotkeys to move the tearline up and down to the position that bothers you the least (aka, slightly below bottom edge of screen or above top edge of screen, whichever edge it's nearest). That automatically configures SyncScanline0 to the index value.

Or follow RealNC's instructions.

If you prefer to try to do it a little more blindly. You will function best with slightly negative indexes, e.g. -100 and adjust bigger (e.g. -50) if tearline appears at bottom edge, adjust smaller (e.g. -200) if tearline still appears at top edge. Ideally SyncScanline0 is the scanline number that tearline appears at. But there's a random system-specific / game-specific / GPU-specific tearline offset, usually between 5 to 50 pixels downards or so, but can vary quite widely.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mist

Post by mist » 06 Feb 2019, 18:45

No. For old games scanlinesync is good but for modern not :(
I am try Enhanced or Dynamic syncs with rtss but no luck. I have random stuttering with drop fps.
For modern games only Dynamic sync little help for me.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Feb 2019, 07:56

mist wrote:No. For old games scanlinesync is good but for modern not :(
I am try Enhanced or Dynamic syncs with rtss but no luck. I have random stuttering with drop fps.
For modern games only Dynamic sync little help for me.
It might help to add this to the RTSS profile:

SyncTimeout=1

This can help with stutters, because it will disable s-sync for frames that are too slow. It's still not perfect (it will never be perfect), but it might reduce the stutters.

What it does is tell RTSS to disable s-sync for frames that are too slow. By default, RTSS will try to sync even slow frames, which results in increased stutter.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mist

Post by mist » 07 Feb 2019, 09:24

RealNC wrote: SyncTimeout=1
Ok. I am try.

Can i change cfg txt file rtss file "on the fly" then game is already started?

Is rtss can help to reduce lag if i use traditional VSYNC or DynamicSync?

PS So. May be my problem in modern games is my PC cant handle 60fps at 100%? I have 60fps average. And why usual Vsync or Dynamicsync is make my gameplay very smooth without stutters but with bit lag?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Feb 2019, 10:04

mist wrote:Can i change cfg txt file rtss file "on the fly" then game is already started?
You can try, but you need to restart RTSS. Some games might crash if you restart RTSS.

Also, don't keep the text file open, because RTSS will change it at runtime too. If you use Notepad++ it's safe, because it will detect it and ask you to reload the file. If you just use Notepad, you should close the file immediately after editing it.
Is rtss can help to reduce lag if i use traditional VSYNC or DynamicSync?
With vsync, yes. See this post. With dynamic vsync, probably not, because it will tear at random. But you can try anyway.
PS So. May be my problem in modern games is my PC cant handle 60fps at 100%? I have 60fps average. And why usual Vsync or Dynamicsync is make my gameplay very smooth without stutters but with bit lag?
Not only does the PC need to handle 60FPS, but it also needs to not produce too high GPU load. So even on PCs that can handle 60FPS all of the time, if GPU load gets higher than about 70% or so, it will start to stutter or tear. So you need both solid 60FPS and not maxing out the GPU for s-sync to work well.

mist

Post by mist » 07 Feb 2019, 17:38

And how i can be sure that Scanlinesync is working(decreasing lag) then i use tradition Vsync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Feb 2019, 23:51

mist wrote:And how i can be sure that Scanlinesync is working(decreasing lag) then i use tradition Vsync?
Lag benchmarks show that RTSS Scanline Sync works really well:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4173&start=100#p37547

The easiest way to test lag is a high speed camera, preferably a 1000fps camera.
But you can also use lag-testing method linked.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mist

Post by mist » 08 Feb 2019, 05:39

I am sorry but were i can get this "lag-testing method linked"?