[Old Thread] Why I'm done with 240hz

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Notty_PT

Re: Why I'm done with 240hz

Post by Notty_PT » 06 Feb 2019, 18:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
pox02 wrote:So true take for example black ops 4 this game never reach 240 fps consistant thats why on 144hz panles will look better :mrgreen:
Be noted that there are also a lot of inconsistency between the best 144Hz and worst 144Hz panels.
True that! All my 144hz vs 240hz comparasions had ViewSonic XG2402 on the mix, and that might be the best/most matured 144hz panel out there. Some 144hz monitors are really bad, if not worse than 240hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Feb 2019, 23:39

This is a partial solution, not a 100% solution.

Seems most people don't know how to do this, so...

Instructions for dynamic range reduction for reduced ghosting

Follow these instructions ONLY if you're unsatisfied with all your monitor's overdrive

First, configure your monitor to the least-worst overdrive setting.
(or perhaps slightly more corona than your preferred overdrive setting, you may need to repeat these instructions at different overdrive settings for best results).

Next, you need to digitally compress your color range without touching the monitor's backlight.
Overdrive has biggest problems with the brightest colors.
So you trick the monitor to avoid ever using the brightest colors.

1. Go to NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop color settings -> Use NVIDIA settings -> Slide both "Brightness" and "Contrast" downwards in NVIDIA Control Panel.
2. They both default +50%.
...Lower both to same settings if you only want to chop the top end of your color range.
...Contrast should be slightly lower than Brightness if you're chopping both ends of your color range.
3. Play the sliders while watching http://www.testufo.com/ghosting

The final settings would be closer to usually Brightness=+40% and Contrast=+30%. Or try Brightness=+30% and Contrast=+10%. The exact numbers will be a personal preference, and depend greatly on the display.

This brightens your blacks and darkens your whites without touching your backlight, forcing the monitor's overdrive to avoid the most problematic ghosty pixel colors.

- This range-reduce trick works best in conjunction with middle-setting overdrive (e.g. "BenQ AMA High" rather than "BenQ AMA Premium")
- This range-reduce trick works best with VRR displays with true dynamic overdrive (e.g. true native NVIDIA GSYNC)
- This range-reduce trick will also reduce strobe crosstalk if you use blur reduction modes (ULMB, ELMB, DyAc, etc)
- This range-reduce trick will, to a lesser extent, partially help non-dynamically-overdriven FreeSync monitors too.

There are cons, like worse colors and reduced contrast ratio, but sometimes the "contrast-loss" of 5% for a "ghosting-disappear" of 75% for some models, and sometimes a worthy tradeoff, on certain models.

This is not a 100% solution and will not erase all overdrive problems but can "dim" bright coronas by 50%-90%, making them between half-visible to tenth-visible, depending on monitor. And text scrolling can suddenly jump from ghosty to perfectly clear.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Beavern

Post by Beavern » 09 Feb 2019, 09:21

Off topic
Notty_PT wrote: Just want to add another interesting info. Today ReSpawn released their new game, based on titanfall, Apex Legends, Battle Royale game. They implemented an internal (and very good/precise) 144fps cap and no one can exceed that value no matter what tweaks, monitors or CPUs are being used.
This is not true, you can bypass the cap by turning on v-sync ingame and force it off in nvcp, it should remove the cap. ;)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 10 Feb 2019, 10:19

Beavern wrote:Off topic
Notty_PT wrote: Just want to add another interesting info. Today ReSpawn released their new game, based on titanfall, Apex Legends, Battle Royale game. They implemented an internal (and very good/precise) 144fps cap and no one can exceed that value no matter what tweaks, monitors or CPUs are being used.
This is not true, you can bypass the cap by turning on v-sync ingame and force it off in nvcp, it should remove the cap. ;)
Still couldn´t uncap it past 144, can you elaborate on the steps please? Even if it is possible, seems it is not indended for high framerates, otherwise the devs would give us the option on the menu and they don´t. Would like you to elaborate on the steps to do that tho, because I couldn´t get it to surprass 144 by any means

Michael3D

Post by Michael3D » 10 Feb 2019, 14:20

Right click Apex Legends inside Origin and select Game Properties. Under the command line arguments add this "+fps_max unlimited" without quotes. Make sure to turn V-sync off in game and through Nvidia control panel. Apparently the game uses the same engine as Titan Fall 2 so some of the same commands work. -novid (Turns off the loading screen video when you start the game)

If you want to lock your FPS under 144 you can use the same command like this "+fps_max 141" or "+fps_max 117" depending on the use case. Oddly trying to use numbers over 144 do not seem to work though and just hard lock like 144 is the max.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to lock FPS in game for 240hz Gsync use. So at this time we are stuck with three options of (1)either letting the game auto lock at 144hz or (2)running with Gsync only and letting our framerate be uncapped running above 240 at the cost of tearing. To me the transition seems very jarring going above and below 240 Fps. (3) Using Gsync and Vsync(NVCP) while running the game in "+fps_max unlimited" which should be adding a decent amount of input lag associated with going above the Gsync ceiling, although I can't personally tell how much or how noticeable it is for this game engine (I didn't play the Titan Fall games.)

My only other take away that I saw from testing this, was that running uncapped in game and using RTSS to lock frames at 237 for Gsync felt a lot worse input lag wise compared to using Gsync and Vsync(NVCP) and letting the game cap out at 240hz.

Side note if anyone happens to find a way to lock the frame rate ABOVE 144 in Apex Legends I would love to hear about it. After getting to try Gsync(freesync) for the first time from the newest nvidia drivers, I have to say games feel so much smoother. Transitioning to these 240hz monitors felt amazing in a lot of ways, a huge step forward, but really awful in others. Specifically running over 240 fps made it feel like I was using a 60hz monitor in games which I never understood why that was until recently.

Ps- From a long time forum browser/ first time poster. I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who has contributed to this website over the years, I and many other readers appreciate the work put in.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2019, 14:56

Doesn't "+fps_max 237" work?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Michael3D

Post by Michael3D » 10 Feb 2019, 15:49

No unfortunately it just caps out at 144. It seems like this is a habit from a previous engine they are using. I confirmed locking the frame rate all the way down to 59 and then all the way up to 143. Past that though just gave me the 144 fps cap.

hnau

Post by hnau » 10 Feb 2019, 21:09

"-refresh 240 -fullscreen +fps_max unlimited" seems to take care of it. but the fps swings from 250 - 150 are so rapid and frequent that I prefer to stick to the default ~144 cap

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 11 Feb 2019, 09:23

I could uncap it past 144 now! But nevermind about 240hz on this game, it has super unstable framerate and now I see why they added an internal default 144fps cap! Is impossible to sustain even steady 200fps on this game right now. Just another game to add to the list on my first post and another reason not to go 240hz.

Also the aim on this game is really important and the hitboxes are fairly small, wich makes having a steady fixed framerate even more important.

So, 3 really recent games where 220-240 steady fps for 240hz are impossible even with the most expensive Intel CPU at 5ghz:

- Battlefield V
- Black Ops 4
- Apex Legends

Still possible at:

- Counter Strike GO (game is dying)
- Overwatch (game is dying)
- Quake Live (dead)

Still waiting for a new 240hz panel that doesn´t struggle at lower framerates/refresh rates, and even then, I doubt it would be worth it for just a mere 0,5ms input lag benefit at best, considering no recent game can sustain 220-240fps

@Michael3d thank you very much for the 141fps cap command, it was really useful! In my situation I cap it to 138fps and it works wonders on ViewSonic Xg2402 144hz monitor

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 11 Feb 2019, 11:30

@Notty_PT do you use VRR for your competitive games?

I'm enjoying Apex Legends at the moment but it doesn't seem to run all that well. I can't keep a consistent 144fps with my 9700k + RTX 2060 +1080p setup. It's more like 120-144 or so on the ground. GPU usage is near maxed whether all high or all low settings.
Last edited by theangryregulator on 11 Feb 2019, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.