Custom firmware for BenQ monitors?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
The_System

Custom firmware for BenQ monitors?

Post by The_System » 08 Feb 2019, 05:03

Hey Blur Busters,

I've been lurking here for a few years and I finally decided to create and account.
I was wondering if anyone has investigated reverse engineering the BenQ monitor firmware .bin files in order to tweak the OSD and maybe adding features like FreeSync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Custom firmware for BenQ monitors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Feb 2019, 06:29

AFAIK, few people attempt to do this.
Only people like Zisworks tries to do this kind of stuff.

It's because it costs more to modify the monitor than to just buy a new monitor, and there isn't economies of scale to compensate (e.g. like jailbreaking an iPhone). In many cases, the language of the .bin file is unknown. And custom firmware mods aren't reusable.

One can use ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility to "force" FreeSync into a non-FreeSync display and see what happens; sometimes that works; you're at the mercy of the firmware quirks and behaviours for the most part.

If this monitor is out of warranty, you got assembler / machine language / disassembly experience, and you'd like to proceed as an academic exercise, and you attempt to modify the firmware anyway -- post in the Area 51 forum (Display Science, Research & Engineering) -- I'd be interested in reading about it!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!