Re: What monitor should i buy? [GSYNC/ULMB for under $500]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Mafusail

Re: Re: What monitor should i buy? [GSYNC/ULMB for under $50

Post by Mafusail » 09 Feb 2019, 12:25

RealNC wrote:
Mafusail wrote:Yeah, im sure, got stable 85.
I wasn't referring to the frame rate. I'm referring to the refresh rate. It should say something like "1920x1080 85Hz" in the display's OSD, not in some frame counter overlay OSD.
Sadly, this monitor's OSD is absolute crap. It doesnt show pretty much anything apart of the most simple functions like RGB palette and some preset colors that i cant change. And ULMB, ofc.
It doesnt allow me to change either sharping nor black level for example (when i tried to plug it via HDMI) nor even gamma level.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Feb 2019, 12:27

It surely has an "information" or "info" section in there or similar. I've never seen a monitor without one. Also, on some monitors the information is shown all the time at some corner in the OSD.

Edit:
Well, it is shown all the time in the OSD. It's always displayed at the bottom:

https://youtu.be/yzY-BC_owfc?t=49

In the video for example, it says "Resolution: 2560x1440, 165Hz G-SYNC Mode." In your case, it should say "85Hz, ULMB Mode."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Mafusail

Post by Mafusail » 09 Feb 2019, 12:47

Oh, yep, saw it. Yep, it's on 85hz ULMB.
And i dont understand what is "ULMB Pulse Width"... Seems like that ULMB strobes at the Hz that i set in Nvidia CC. In this video the guy said "lower gets you the better clarity" but i didnt notice anything even on 50. Just Brightness fell to the ground :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Feb 2019, 12:58

Everything is fine then. Since you said you get some kind of double-image effect going, I thought it might be because the game you're playing is forcing 120 or 144Hz, and thus 85FPS would result in this effect. But that's not the case.

As for pulse width, that's the amount of time the backlight will stay lit for each strobe. Lowering that time reduces motion blur. But to really see a difference, you'd have to compare the highest possible setting vs the lowest. And even then the difference is rather small.

Oh, btw, for testing ULMB, you should not use the default UFO test. You should use the ghosting test instead:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

This makes strobing crosstalk more visible, which is probably what you're seeing in-game.

And finally, don't try to use FPS caps and whatnot for initial testing. First test with vsync forced ON and without any FPS cap. Make sure the game is able to always reach 85FPS (it should hit the vsync wall.) This will show you the amount of crosstalk with this monitor at this refresh rate.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Mafusail

Post by Mafusail » 09 Feb 2019, 15:34

No no, i dont see a strobing - UFO ULMB test shows that everything is good. I see doubling of an image when i rotate the camera ingame. I dont get this effect when i turn around very, very slowly, but with some acceleration im starting to see it.
Here is an example - imagine a tree. When you move your mouse slowly to the right - everything's good. When you accelerate it - appears another tree, both become transparent. There can be even three copies of them, if you start to shake the mouse rapidly. But no ghosting - all of them are absolutely clear.
Also, i am actually Vsyncing without any FPS cap. FPS is stable as a rock - i'm even using an upscaling to 4k (150% from 2k) and still get stable 85. I even searched through all Nvidia CC, still cant figure out why do i have it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Feb 2019, 16:39

That's crosstalk. It's how ghosting looks like with ULMB. It's normal. Some refresh rates have lower crosstalk than others.

Mafusail

Post by Mafusail » 09 Feb 2019, 18:29

Okey. Thanks alot for your spent time :) Last question then (i hope...) - can i somehow turn on sharpness via drivers/other programms? Because it's so... blurry.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Feb 2019, 21:52

Mafusail wrote:Okey. Thanks alot for your spent time :) Last question then (i hope...) - can i somehow turn on sharpness via drivers/other programms? Because it's so... blurry.
What's blurry?

Mafusail

Post by Mafusail » 10 Feb 2019, 03:42

Different parts of Windows 10 - some icons in tray, bookmarks in browser, text in third-party applications (text sharpening Win10 feature makes good job on Win10 text though). Graphics in different games (running in native res or 4k). My other monitor, LG 23MP57D, has great OSD and i can adjust sharpness there and all these problems go away.
https://imgur.com/a/BESZoz6 It's on Russlan, but still (pic isnt mine, ripped it off some review).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2019, 10:41

It seems to me you got used to artificially sharpened graphics. The graphics aren't blurry. This is how they are supposed to look like. When running native or higher resolution, sharpening should never be used. Sharpening is only useful when upscaling lower resolutions (sadly, g-sync panels do not have a sharpen function.) But at native res, there is no reason to use sharpening.