Motion blur software for x34a?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jonny5

Motion blur software for x34a?

Post by jonny5 » 09 Feb 2019, 01:48

My first post here so hi to all, im running my x34a overclocked to 100hz with a gtx 1080ti and Gsync on and performance wise everything runs fine apart from very distracting motion blur when gaming, i understand this ips display doesnt have ulmb and having tried the overdrive options i find them useless because they cause ghosting and dont seem to reduce blur that well, is it just how it is with this particular monitor and is there a program i could download to help? ive seen something called strobelight on here but it looks to be only for compatible 120hz monitors.

I also make sure mb is always turned off in game settings, thanks in advance

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Motion blur software for x34a?

Post by RealNC » 09 Feb 2019, 10:58

No. There is no such thing as "motion blur software" for such displays. Even displays that do support backlight strobing do not have any such software. A couple of BenQ displays will work with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, but that's about it.

In any event, make sure the display is actually running at 100Hz when playing games. Double check in the monitor's OSD and verify it says "100Hz."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jonny5

Post by jonny5 » 09 Feb 2019, 14:32

Thanks for the reply, ive checked in the osd and max refresh is confirmed as 100hz, im on 100hz in nvidia control panel and i dont exceed 100 fps in games with gsync on, ive tried lowering refresh rates, gsync and vsync on and off, overclock on and off but the same amount of blur seems to remain, its more noticable when i strafe in wolfenstein 2 and when i drive around corners in gta5, i expect some blur it just seems quite a lot, this is my first monitor, im not entirely unhappy with it but maybe i was expecting too much from it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2019, 22:10

RealNC wrote:No. There is no such thing as "motion blur software" for such displays. Even displays that do support backlight strobing do not have any such software. A couple of BenQ displays will work with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, but that's about it.
Whoa, hold on a sec. It's possible (to a certain extent), see www.testufo.com/blackframes

Unless you use a lower frame rate, and use softare-based black frame insertion.

I'm currently working on some "motion blur software" in the form of software-based black frame insertion. Basically a full-screen version of www.testufo.com/blackframes that will automaically work with any videogame you own. Or even emulator. Or Windows app.

I mentioned on AVSFORUM already that I am currently working on a software black frame insertion system that can be applied to any videogame you own. I'll be more prepared to make an announcement of this software in the near future. Keep tuned.

Most of the time, you won't get less motion blur than full framerate at max Hz, but occasionally, www.testufo.com/blackframes#bonusufo=1 the half-framerate flickery UFO will have less motion blur than the full-framerate bonus UFO, but it depends on the display. This is because sometimes the black color unexpectedly accelerates pixel transitions in both directions on certain panels. But for most screens, persistence is limited by the shortest refresh cycle offered by a sample-and-hold display.

However, it definitely reduces motion blur of low framerates, and is excellent for things like emulators and 60fps-locked games, and is more comfortable on eyes than 60Hz single-strobe because software blackframes are rolling-scan (since LCD refresh cycles are sweeped top-down, www.blurbusters.com/scanout ...)

Hardware strobing is superior in nearly all cases (and you should purchase a monitor with blur reduction) but software based black frame insertion can provide another option that did not exist before.

To be added to a mailing list about blur reduction software, email [email protected]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2019, 01:02

The OP asked if there's any software he can use. I'm not aware of one. I obviously cannot predict the future. We might have FTL warp drive too. But right now, we don't :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jonny5

Post by jonny5 » 10 Feb 2019, 02:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Most of the time, you won't get less motion blur than full framerate at max Hz, but occasionally, http://www.testufo.com/blackframes#bonusufo=1 the half-framerate flickery UFO will have less motion blur than the full-framerate bonus UFO, but it depends on the display. This is because sometimes the black color unexpectedly accelerates pixel transitions in both directions on certain panels. But for most screens, persistence is limited by the shortest refresh cycle offered by a sample-and-hold display.
To me the half frame rate UFO is very blurred, i prefer the half frame rate plus black frame insertion UFO, to me the blur looks the same as full frame rate tbh but the UFO is brighter, im very interested in your ''motion blur software'' lol, thanks for letting me know this.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2019, 15:10

jonny5 wrote:To me the half frame rate UFO is very blurred, i prefer the half frame rate plus black frame insertion UFO, to me the blur looks the same as full frame rate tbh but the UFO is brighter, im very interested in your ''motion blur software'' lol, thanks for letting me know this.
That's the motion test using Brightness Equalizer.

In reality, it will look like this: Black Frame Insertion Without Brightness Equalizer.

Black frame insertion normally make things darker, but it can solve many low-framerate motion clarity problems -- things like such as double-images if using motion blur reduction features on monitors that don't support 60Hz strobe. Or when you need to reduce motion blur of low-framerates (e.g. 60fps) on a high-Hz monitor that doesn't have motion blur reduction available, via using high-Hz + black frame insertion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jonny5

Post by jonny5 » 17 Feb 2019, 23:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Black frame insertion normally make things darker, but it can solve many low-framerate motion clarity problems -- things like such as double-images if using motion blur reduction features on monitors that don't support 60Hz strobe. Or when you need to reduce motion blur of low-framerates (e.g. 60fps) on a high-Hz monitor that doesn't have motion blur reduction available, via using high-Hz + black frame insertion.
Could the monitor settings just be made brighter to counter the effects of black frame insertion, a kind of have your cake and eat it situation? Im curious to try a 144hz or higher monitor with ulmb just to see how good they are,i could just be a fussy git but personally i dont think the x34 is all that good

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2019, 02:16

If your monitor brightness adjustment has sufficient headroom to adjust upwards further ... then YES.

(Unless you're already 100% maxed out Brightness already before enabling BFI ... then NO)