RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by RealNC » 08 Feb 2019, 10:29

You don't need a lag testing method. All you need is play a game with vsync, and then with s-sync. The difference is night and day.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mist

Post by mist » 08 Feb 2019, 10:38

I dont feel difference then Vsync and Vsync+Scalesync. That is why i want to test. Rtss always show me 16.7ms at 60fps.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Feb 2019, 10:48

mist wrote:I dont feel difference then Vsync and Vsync+Scalesync.
As already mentioned, you should NOT use s-sync with vsync. It will not work correctly.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mist

Post by mist » 08 Feb 2019, 11:19

So, in modern games S-sync not useful for me? No solutions how to force work S-sync on my PC?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Feb 2019, 11:44

mist wrote:So, in modern games S-sync not useful for me? No solutions how to force work S-sync on my PC?
Unless you drop the graphics settings to reduce GPU load, or get a faster GPU, then no, s-sync is not going to work well in GPU-heavy games.

mist

Post by mist » 11 Feb 2019, 07:12

Hi) Its i am again, sorry. Why even in UT3 with rtss+SSync i have random position tearline like in modern games? Some times tearline gone, some time back. It back after respawn and gone away 3-5 seconds.

ps 60hz monitor Samsung 2443, i5-2300, rx570, win7x64. In ut3 i can have stable over 100fps.

Code: Select all

[Framerate]
Limit=60
SyncFlush=1
SyncHotkeys=1
SyncScanline0=-1
SyncScanline1=0
SyncTimeout=1
LimitDenominator=1
LimitTime=0
SyncPeriods=0

Code: Select all

[Framerate]
Limit=59999
SyncFlush=1
SyncHotkeys=1
SyncScanline0=-1
SyncScanline1=0
SyncTimeout=1
LimitDenominator=1000
LimitTime=0
SyncPeriods=0

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Feb 2019, 09:40

Use SyncFlush=2 then.

Simboubou

Post by Simboubou » 18 Feb 2019, 05:19

Hello, I've been using s-sync recently with great results (both in normal mode and /2 mode)

I've read some technical info on Guru and Blurbusters, and while I think I understand the basics, I still don't exactly understand the difference between s-sync and low lag vsync (let's call that lsync), more specifically why ssync has lower input lag than lsync.

- How exactly does a framerate limiter works ? Does it just "pause" the rendering process right before it ends to reach a target frametime ?

- I understand that no-vsync just render frames as fast as it can. Once a frame is rendered, it is copied to the "output frame", creating a tearline. If I understand correctly, ssync uses its framerate limitation method in a dynamic way where it tries to end the rendering on a specific scanline, so that the copy to the output frame occurs during the vblank, hence the low-lag no-tearling.

- But then, what is difference with lsync ? Since we are preventing the output queue to fill, aren't we always copying the last rendered frame in the output frame at each vblank, which is essentially the same as ssync ? What am I missing here ?

Thanks !

Daumer

Post by Daumer » 20 Feb 2019, 14:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:For users who want to combine RTSS Scan Line Sync with VSYNC ON / Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync

Modified from my original Guru3D post, since this is useful for Blur Busters readers looking for fine-tuning Scan Line Sync.

This can produce a massively superior "Low-Lag VSYNC ON" mode that is low-lag, tear-free, and zero-stutter provided you're playing games that tend to play framerates above refreshrates in VSYNC OFF. Such games that like to permanently stay above refresh rate, are the easiest ones to create this new "Low-Lag VSYNC ON" mode.

1. Use VSYNC OFF first
2. Calibrate scanline sync (via keyboard shortcut) until you've got a vibrating tearline that NEVER goes below the bottom edge of the screen.
3. Go back to VSYNC ON / Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync
4. You'll see it stay more consistently, perfect smoothness & no lag spikes.
So I followed your steps and noticed a couple of things on my 1080p 60.01Hz monitor. When setting Scanline to 930 on RTSS, I get a single tear line on my display that doesn't seem to move vertically at all. Using both higher or lower values actually move the line further away from the edge of the screen, and make it stutter a little bit. However, higher values still seem to give me lower input lag with Vsync on. Any advice?
P.S. Setting Scanline to 800 makes the line completely disappear (even with vsync off) for some reason.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 20 Feb 2019, 17:50

What is the behavior of s-sync when fps are inconstant and the frametime get longers than the refresh. Let's say a random drop occors to the range of 220-240 for 240hz. It will start the render of the new frame immediately? It will add a single and long delay to the return to the desired position as fast as possible? It will spread that delay across n frames to smooth the transition?