Detected a potentially supported monitor

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
denizevrim

Detected a potentially supported monitor

Post by denizevrim » 13 Feb 2019, 17:20

I got a 2080 rtx and a xl2411z which are connected through an adapter. The gpu and adapter are connected via dp cable, which is connected to the monitor through a dvi cable.
This is the message I'm getting when opening blur buster: https://imgur.com/a/8A751b1

This is the adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00Q31 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm getting 144hz fully, however since I can't turn up the brightness without the utility I'm stuck with this dimness.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Detected a potentially supported monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2019, 17:56

Due to the way the adaptor cannot relay DDC/CI commands.
There's no way make Blur Busters Strobe Utility work through any DisplayPort-to-DualLink-DVI adaptors that I know of.

Try purchasing a HDMI-to-DVI adaptor cable instead. Remember to purchase the correct cable for the correct video direction, that goes from an HDMI output to a DVI input -- basically from your GPU HDMI output to your monitor DVI input -- not vice versa from a DVI output to HDMI input. I've heard of some success reports through that method. However, the odds of it working successfully may be only 50%:50% and I'm not sure which adaptors will work for you.

Alternatively, use the Factory Menu instead of Strobe Utility (much harder):
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2467
You do lose the easy utility, and it's a bigger hassle, but you can at least adjust everything you used to adjust in Strobe Utility.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

denizevrim

Post by denizevrim » 13 Feb 2019, 18:15

Thanks for the fast response!

I didn't know that an hdmi to dvi adapter gives 144 hz!

I will look for one and post results.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2019, 19:53

-- Your monitor XL2411Z HDMI input do not support 144Hz.
-- However, your GPU, the 2080 RTX, HDMI output does support 144Hz.

So that's why you can't connect HDMI-to-HDMI like you can with other newer 144Hz monitors.
However, you can connect a GPU HDMI 144Hz output to the monitor's DVI 144Hz input -- via a compatible adaptor.

You just have to be careful to make sure that the HDMI inputs/outputs you plan to use are 144Hz compatible. Avoid using HDMI on the end that isn't 144Hz HDMI compatible.

Be cautious since not all adaptors will be able to pass the DDC/CI signalling between the two connections -- it's a dedicated wire on DVI and HDMI cables but is not part of DisplayPort (that one is a micropacket standard). That's why it's easier to adaptor the DDC/CI with a DVI-HDMI or HDMI-DVI adaptor. That's why if you want Blur Busters Strobe Utility, you're likely to have more success with HDMI->DVI adaptoring.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

denizevrim

Post by denizevrim » 14 Feb 2019, 04:07

I assume that these kind of small adaptors won't do the job. But I will buy and try this one:
https://www.amazon.de/HDMI-DVI-Adapter- ... B000WKKY40

kiazoe

Post by kiazoe » 15 Oct 2020, 07:51

denizevrim wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:07
I assume that these kind of small adaptors won't do the job. But I will buy and try this one:
https://www.amazon.de/HDMI-DVI-Adapter- ... B000WKKY40
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm currently looking at upgrading my PC and don't particularly want to retire my XL2411Z pair. Modern mid/high-end GPU's appear to have dropped DVI since I last looked; you mentioned you would report back with your findings on the HDMI-DVI adapter - any luck with that?

If it's working, I'm also wondering if overclocking is still achievable using the same cable/adapter configuration.

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Oct 2020, 15:26

You need much-more-expensive HDMI-to-dual-link-DVI adaptors, that are active/powered.

Passive HDMI-to-DVI adaptors only work with single-link (i.e. up to maybe ~72 Hz approx, or perhaps 6bpc at higher Hz, via the Overclocking HOWTO).

There might be a loophole with cheap passive HDMI-to-DVI adaptors. Some people have successfully overclocked an XL2411Z DVI dual link well past 220Hz, so a single-link DVI might be overclockable to 110Hz+ but it might be difficult to do so because nobody has really pushed the overclocking limits of a single-link DVI. The trick is to try to force it to use high-Hz and 6bpc operation from single-link rathern downrezzing to half-resolution; this may be something that needs to be done using ToastyX.

The problem is the HDMI-to-DVI adaptors may not correctly pass an overclocked signal, so you might be limited. You can also do lower resolutions (e.g. 1280x720) to get the full 144Hz using a standard signal, or slightly higher Hz with reduced blanking intervals (tiniest horizontal total / vertical totals you can get). Or slight overclocked slightly lower resolutions (e.g. 1600x1080 at 144Hz 6bpc overclocked single-link DVI).