Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
takoid

Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Post by takoid » 13 Feb 2019, 18:16

Hey guys. I'm new here after lurking for about a year and had a few questions in regards to the best settings for Apex Legends.

I have an Alienware AW2518H which supports 240hz. Apex Legends' engine is capped at 144 FPS currently with no official indication of changing. From what I've read about the engine, it is the same engine used in the Titanfall series and the 144 FPS cap was never successfully bypassed. Assuming this is true, us 240hz'ers will be stuck running at 144hz for the time being.

With that in mind, what are the optimal settings to use for a game like this with a non-configurable FPS limit? Since there is no potential benefit of lowered input delay with FPS higher than the refresh rate, G-Sync seems to be a no-brainer.

In the G-Sync "bible" it is recommended to set an FPS limit to 3 FPS below the refresh rate and enabling V-Sync in NVCP. The thinking is that this keeps G-Sync constantly running so there is no tearing/input delay (can't remember exactly which) when FPS falls below the refresh rate of the monitor and V-Sync eliminates tearing when FPS is at the limit.

But what about in situations where the game has an FPS limit in place that is lower than the monitor's refresh rate such as the situation I am in? Is G-Sync already activated at 144 FPS since it is already lower than my 240hz refresh rate? Or should I still be setting an FPS limit via RTSS at 141-142 FPS?

Also, there seems to be a sync option called "Adaptive." Should I leave this off and stick with NVCP V-Sync?

jorimt

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Post by jorimt » 13 Feb 2019, 19:50

The G-SYNC range (w/module) is effectively 1 FPS to "x" max refresh rate of the monitor.

Since you have a 240Hz G-SYNC monitor, and the game already has a hard 144 in-game FPS limit, there's nothing else you need to do; you're well within the G-SYNC range of your monitor.

As for Adaptive V-SYNC, it is simply standalone double buffer V-SYNC when the framerate is above the refresh rate, and V-SYNC OFF whenever the framerate is within the refresh rate.

Adaptive V-SYNC isn't applicable to G-SYNC.

For this game, keep your monitor at 240Hz with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC "On" + in-game V-SYNC disabled.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Feb 2019, 20:14

takoid wrote:In the G-Sync "bible" it is recommended to set an FPS limit to 3 FPS below the refresh rate and enabling V-Sync in NVCP.
That is not entirely correct. The actual recommendation is to cap 3FPS below max refresh, or lower. So on a 240Hz display, you can cap anywhere between 1FPS and 237FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

takoid

Post by takoid » 13 Feb 2019, 20:28

Thanks for the replies.

I did some testing and it seems like the best settings for smoothness are disabling V-Sync in NVCP as well and just running G-Sync. Having V-Sync enabled in NVCP caused odd stuttering/tearing at 144 FPS for whatever reason. I don't have the tools to generate any kind of data but that is my experience.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Feb 2019, 20:37

RealNC wrote:The actual recommendation is to cap 3FPS below max refresh, or lower.
Correct.

A -3 FPS limit is simply considered to be the globally "safe" minimum for staying within the G-SYNC range (on genuine G-SYNC monitors containing a hardware module), taking into consideration frametime variances from limiter to limiter (both external and internal).

Therefore, a 144 FPS limit at 240Hz with G-SYNC (a.k.a. a -96 FPS limit) is well within the minimum -3 FPS limit required to stay in the G-SYNC range.
takoid wrote:Having V-Sync enabled in NVCP caused odd stuttering/tearing at 144 FPS for whatever reason. I don't have the tools to generate any kind of data but that is my experience.
You shouldn't be seeing tearing with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC "On." That can only happen the G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off."

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" can elongate (but not cause) frametime spikes (a.k.a. "stutter") in edge cases (as it has to adhere to scanout to prevent tearing in these instances), but it can't tear.

The only reason you'd be seeing tearing with that combination (that I can think off the top of my head with the info you've provided), is if the NVCP V-SYNC option isn't applying in that game for whatever reason.

I've played a fair amount of the game myself on my 144Hz G-SYNC display with NVCP V-SYNC "On" + in-game V-SYNC disabled + 141 FPS in-game limit (+fps_max 141) and no tearing.

That said, do whatever works for you; while having the NVCP V-SYNC option "On" is necessary to 100% prevent tearing with G-SYNC, it's entirely optional otherwise.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

takoid

Post by takoid » 13 Feb 2019, 22:51

jorimt wrote:
RealNC wrote:The actual recommendation is to cap 3FPS below max refresh, or lower.
Correct.

A -3 FPS limit is simply considered to be the globally "safe" minimum for staying within the G-SYNC range (on genuine G-SYNC monitors containing a hardware module), taking into consideration frametime variances from limiter to limiter (both external and internal).

Therefore, a 144 FPS limit at 240Hz with G-SYNC (a.k.a. a -96 FPS limit) is well within the minimum -3 FPS limit required to stay in the G-SYNC range.
takoid wrote:Having V-Sync enabled in NVCP caused odd stuttering/tearing at 144 FPS for whatever reason. I don't have the tools to generate any kind of data but that is my experience.
You shouldn't be seeing tearing with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC "On." That can only happen the G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off."

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" can elongate (but not cause) frametime spikes (a.k.a. "stutter") in edge cases (as it has to adhere to scanout to prevent tearing in these instances), but it can't tear.

The only reason you'd be seeing tearing with that combination (that I can think off the top of my head with the info you've provided), is if the NVCP V-SYNC option isn't applying in that game for whatever reason.

I've played a fair amount of the game myself on my 144Hz G-SYNC display with NVCP V-SYNC "On" + in-game V-SYNC disabled + 141 FPS in-game limit (+fps_max 141) and no tearing.

That said, do whatever works for you; while having the NVCP V-SYNC option "On" is necessary to 100% prevent tearing with G-SYNC, it's entirely optional otherwise.
I understand completely now. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Feb 2019, 08:31

takoid wrote:Hey guys. I'm new here after lurking for about a year and had a few questions in regards to the best settings for Apex Legends.

I have an Alienware AW2518H which supports 240hz. Apex Legends' engine is capped at 144 FPS currently with no official indication of changing. From what I've read about the engine, it is the same engine used in the Titanfall series and the 144 FPS cap was never successfully bypassed. Assuming this is true, us 240hz'ers will be stuck running at 144hz for the time being.

With that in mind, what are the optimal settings to use for a game like this with a non-configurable FPS limit? Since there is no potential benefit of lowered input delay with FPS higher than the refresh rate, G-Sync seems to be a no-brainer.

In the G-Sync "bible" it is recommended to set an FPS limit to 3 FPS below the refresh rate and enabling V-Sync in NVCP. The thinking is that this keeps G-Sync constantly running so there is no tearing/input delay (can't remember exactly which) when FPS falls below the refresh rate of the monitor and V-Sync eliminates tearing when FPS is at the limit.

But what about in situations where the game has an FPS limit in place that is lower than the monitor's refresh rate such as the situation I am in? Is G-Sync already activated at 144 FPS since it is already lower than my 240hz refresh rate? Or should I still be setting an FPS limit via RTSS at 141-142 FPS?

Also, there seems to be a sync option called "Adaptive." Should I leave this off and stick with NVCP V-Sync?
You can bypass the internal 144fps limit by going to game properties on Origin library (right click on the game) and adding this command to launch options : -refresh 240 -fullscreen +fps_max unlimited

Also disable Vsync on nvidia control panel, for Apex, specifically. Then in game use Vsync Disabled aswell.

Let me advise you tho, this game behaviour with a framerate higher than 144 is really really bad. It was totally built with 144hz in mind, and nothing more than that. Even if your GPU load and CPU load are only at 50% (Tested with 720p low settings + lod bias + 9700k 5ghz) your framerate will fluctuate from 240 to even 120 at some spots, without any reason. And this creates a lot of frame time inconsistency and will only make you aim worse, as described here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914

Your best bet for this game is using a 144fps cap + Gsync on 240hz, considering you don´t have a 144hz model. You can uncap it but your experience will not improve at all.

Devs do not take 240hz into account right now, as I explained on the topic I linked. 144hz is the "standard" for high refresh gaming (and not even true standard, because 60fps is by far the most used still).

takoid

Post by takoid » 14 Feb 2019, 14:29

Notty_PT wrote:
takoid wrote:Hey guys. I'm new here after lurking for about a year and had a few questions in regards to the best settings for Apex Legends.

You can bypass the internal 144fps limit by going to game properties on Origin library (right click on the game) and adding this command to launch options : -refresh 240 -fullscreen +fps_max unlimited

Also disable Vsync on nvidia control panel, for Apex, specifically. Then in game use Vsync Disabled aswell.

Let me advise you tho, this game behaviour with a framerate higher than 144 is really really bad. It was totally built with 144hz in mind, and nothing more than that. Even if your GPU load and CPU load are only at 50% (Tested with 720p low settings + lod bias + 9700k 5ghz) your framerate will fluctuate from 240 to even 120 at some spots, without any reason. And this creates a lot of frame time inconsistency and will only make you aim worse, as described here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914

Your best bet for this game is using a 144fps cap + Gsync on 240hz, considering you don´t have a 144hz model. You can uncap it but your experience will not improve at all.

Devs do not take 240hz into account right now, as I explained on the topic I linked. 144hz is the "standard" for high refresh gaming (and not even true standard, because 60fps is by far the most used still).
Thank you for those launch options even though the game is broken with them. Your other recommendations align much more with my experience playing around with the game's settings.

For now, here are my settings:

Launch options: -refresh 240 -fullscreen +fps_max 144
V-Sync disabled via NVCP & in-game

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Feb 2019, 15:35

NO problem! We are here to help, share and collect information! My setup right now on Apex is:

. +fps_max 138 -> 138fps cap
. Gsync (Driver)
. ViewSonic XG2402 144hz
. Low Settings 1080p

Smooth as butter, I only drop to 110-120fps when on the jump section (looking at the whole map from above, wich stresses GPU a lot).

Been easier to aim this way, compared to 240hz + uncapped wich is a mess for muscle memory (mouse sensitivity/response), altho the input lag was lower this way. But altho input lag is one of the most important, if not the most important aspects for good aim, at some point is not worth it to gain 2ms less input lag, wich comes with judder/stutter and bad mouse behaviour due to the frames/hz inconsistency, like I mentioned on that thread that I created.

I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.

If you can sustain 220-240fps at 240hz with big consistency tho, it is superior. Problem is having that situation on most modern engines. Almost an impossible task.

takoid

Post by takoid » 14 Feb 2019, 16:39

Notty_PT wrote:NO problem! We are here to help, share and collect information! My setup right now on Apex is:

. +fps_max 138 -> 138fps cap
. Gsync (Driver)
. ViewSonic XG2402 144hz
. Low Settings 1080p

Smooth as butter, I only drop to 110-120fps when on the jump section (looking at the whole map from above, wich stresses GPU a lot).

Been easier to aim this way, compared to 240hz + uncapped wich is a mess for muscle memory (mouse sensitivity/response), altho the input lag was lower this way. But altho input lag is one of the most important, if not the most important aspects for good aim, at some point is not worth it to gain 2ms less input lag, wich comes with judder/stutter and bad mouse behaviour due to the frames/hz inconsistency, like I mentioned on that thread that I created.

I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.

If you can sustain 220-240fps at 240hz with big consistency tho, it is superior. Problem is having that situation on most modern engines. Almost an impossible task.
1080p looks amazing but in competitive games it is never ideal for me. I've preferred black bars ever since I got into CS:GO. I've been playing around with resolutions but the scaling is super funky in this game and the only proper black bars I've been able to get are by enabling the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" in NVCP and using 16:10 aspect ratio in-game. 4:3 does not scale properly to my aspect ratio regardless what I do. I would prefer a resolution such as 1440x1080 with black bars but it doesn't seem possible. I'll have to see if changing my monitor's resolution to 1440x1080 makes it possible...

EDIT: It does not. I've gotten used to native resolution the past couple days and am really liking it. Can't beat the clarity at native for a game like Apex Legends. Smooth 144 FPS + native resolution at 110 FOV is amazing.
Last edited by takoid on 17 Feb 2019, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.