NVIDIA fix G-sync flickering ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Kaggewas

NVIDIA fix G-sync flickering ?

Post by Kaggewas » 10 Feb 2019, 04:02

Hello everyone, I heard that in the latest update, nvidia fixed the screen flicker when g-sync is on, is that true?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: NVIDIA fix G-sync flickering ?

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2019, 10:38

That's what the driver changelog says. I never had flickering though, so I can't verify.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 12 Feb 2019, 11:41

Here the new driver stabilized the OSD fps when using with a freesync monitor (AW2518hf). Before (despide having no issues with tearing) the reported fps was really random with ranges -20..20 even with a contant frametime with RTSS. Now the range is -2..2.

sakraycore

Post by sakraycore » 15 Feb 2019, 11:19

I think that's a big deal. But I'm not in a position to test it since it's very hard to test for this. I noticed some form of faint flickering when playing FF15 at 144hz, that went away at 120hz. I think it's what people refer to as TN-based inversion flickering. But I uninstalled FF15 now so I won't be able to test it and it's not something I can notice all the time anyways.

Will have to wait for further testing from other people affected.

macexx

Post by macexx » 15 Feb 2019, 13:19

andrelip wrote:Here the new driver stabilized the OSD fps when using with a freesync monitor (AW2518hf). Before (despide having no issues with tearing) the reported fps was really random with ranges -20..20 even with a contant frametime with RTSS. Now the range is -2..2.
Thats wierd, I have the exact same problem (mg278q, officially supported freesync compatible).

The monitor OSD is jumping exactly 20hz up and down from the frame lock at 122fps(which is consistent) dosent mather if vsync is on or off, it does this every second.

The latest driver dident fix it for me.

What is strange is, that if I enable fastsync instead and set a frame lock at the same 122fps the vrr moves 2hz up and down.
Also with fastsync the monitor OSD shows about the same hz as an game fps meter if lets say it drops for a fwee seconds to 100fps.
With vsync on or off the monitor OSD never even comes close to match the same as the fps meter in a big fps drop.

BAh freesync compatible they say!!

Wishtaker

Post by Wishtaker » 21 Jun 2019, 12:38

So I have had this flicker issue for several months now. I finally got to the bottom of it!

I own 2 Dell S2716DG Monitors. They are 144hz 1ms TN displays. Great monitors, esp for the price point.

Anyway, the flicking has been really bad. I have pretty much resolved all in game flickering to practically zero. I would say flicker free 95 percent in game now. I was experiencing it every 2 seconds before.

1. Download and install DDU. (Cleans your display drivers.) Make sure after you install, you boot into safe mode and do the clean and reboot option in DDU.
2. Install Geforce Experience and Drivers.
The following may be specific to my monitor: But Worth a try either way if u are experiencing annoying flickering
1.Reduced my refresh rate from 144 to 120.
2. In Nvidia Control Panel: Power Settings = Prefer Max Performance.
3.In Nvidia Control Panel: Set up G-Sync = Enabled for Windowed or Full Screen Mode
4.Enabled V-Sync in game (left default in Nvidia Control Panel). Just enable V-Sync in game.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2019, 15:18

Great information to provide. Sometimes the highest Hz can start pushing monitor limits that degrade picture quality more than a more conservative VRR range, so I'm not surprised that this would benefit some monitors (no matter the sync tech, GSYNC, FreeSync, fixed-Hz).

Many (not all) 144Hz panels have historically been unadvertisedly-factory-overclocked 120Hz panels, which can explain part of the quality issue having a VRR range that includes the monitor maximum Hz.

This has affected certain panels more than others -- I don't see flicker on some of the better VRR monitors even at max Hz, I often see more issues with variable-speed inversion artifacts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

craxton

Post by craxton » 29 May 2020, 09:27

CRU and following steps from reddit will fix it! in my case ona Viewsonic VX2458-c-mhd freesync monitor i changed my V-H rate values (the first edit block in cru to 120-144for V rate and 120-160 for H rate. TH removed my post on this fix. you may need to lower or increase these values but a little playing with it can fix your issue! dont use the nvidia pixel rate patcher! im also using a 2070 super ftw3 btw on DP cable
hopfully this will better help people instead of telling some to add the lowest values in and my monitor specs are called for FH=15-180KHz on H rate, Fv 23-144KHz on V rate. i did add freesync blocks like stated but that didnt fix my issue no matter how low or high or in spec to (((MY MONITOR))) i went!