Resolution of your eyes [YouTube video]

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
SS4

Resolution of your eyes [YouTube video]

Post by SS4 » 13 Mar 2014, 10:45

Heres an interesting video guys :P
phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Resolution of your eyes [YouTube video]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2014, 11:16

This is a very interesting video. Thanks for posting this!

One thing to point out, on a relative basis (screen angle), we sit much closer to 1080p monitors, than we sit from 1080p televisions. So we see the pixels much better than we do on television sets.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 13 Mar 2014, 11:26

Yes that is why i picked the 24 inch (VG248QE) asus instead of the 27 (VG278HE) since we sit so close to computer monitor and they have the same resolution.

But i watch this Vsauce channel sometimes. This guy comes out with very interesting topics and this vid felt perfect for this forum :P

Haste

Post by Haste » 13 Mar 2014, 16:21

Vsauce is awesome!
phpBB [video]

"The visual cortex in our brain usually holds that information from our retina for about a 1/15th of a second.
So if an animation moves at 15 frames a second or faster, it's gonna look nice an fluid. But if it's lower than 15 frames a second our brain's not fooled by the beta movement and it'll look like it's skipping. ...
... If frame rates get higher and higher, you wind up with an image that can actually cause headaches when people watch it on a screen. ...
... but this becomes a problem with new high definition programs on big televisions. Because some of those programs are brought to your TV at frame rates as high as a thousand frames a second and objects like a tenis ball that normally travels so fast our eyes can't track them and they look blurry, don't look blurry because the camera is able to see them clearly and when you watch that program on TV, you can actually get a headache or get dizzy. So they're having to find ways to add blur back in the HD pictures. Pretty neat right?"

Today I learned:
-15 frames a second is nice and fluid.
-TV's have frame rates as high as 1000Hz.
-High frame rates make you dizzy.
-We need motion blur at high frame rates.

Thank you V-Sauce. In my name and the in name of the 2 331 987 viewers you educated with that video.

/sarcasm
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 13 Mar 2014, 20:09

that first video is pretty good.

Measuring the resolution of the human eye is an interesting endeavour, and much of the research into it has been muddied by the conflation of true "resolution" and being able to discriminate two patterns.

So, for example, if two lines are very close together, we may not be able to fully "resolve" them into two lines, but we can discriminate that stimulus from a single line, because the distribution of light that falls on the retina (the point spread function) is different from that originating from a single line.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 13 Mar 2014, 20:18

Haste wrote:Today I learned:

Thank you V-Sauce. In my name and the in name of the 2 331 987 viewers you educated with that video.

/sarcasm
I've been capturing downsampled "bullshots" in several games recently via custom resolutions. One in particular I've been using is 6000x3375 at 22hz. Although I'm typically averaging 22fps (limited by vsync), the minimum fps keeps dropping to around 18fps.

Trust me when I say that 15fps is much more likely to cause headaches than even 30. Because even at 18-22fps, games are unplayable. Period.

The idea that my eyes and brain prefer to see motion in 15fps rather than 60 or 120fps is ridiculous.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 13 Mar 2014, 21:23

From what i understand our eyes are pretty crappy and our brain does all the work but since the information he receive from the eyes is not that great we get things like optical illusion for example :P

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 13 Mar 2014, 21:28

Haste wrote: Today I learned:

/sarcasm
yea I dunno where he's getting this information from. What bugs me is how he comes across as if he actually knows what he's talking about.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2014, 22:43

Another interesting vision/resolution exercise:

There are also differences between a display (an ordered matrix of pixels) and human vision (an unordered scatter of photoreceptors), so it's hard to translate between the two. Also, there can be indirect effects (e.g. aliasing).

For example, http://www.testufo.com/aliasing-visibility test pattern:

(Ideally click on the above and maximize to full screen.)

Stand 5 to 10 feet away from your computer monitor while watching the slowly tilting line above, and you can often see the effects of aliasing, as beads that are spaced at several centimeters apart. Although you aren't seeing the individual pixels, there can still be aliasing or moire effects -- even 10 feet away from a 50" 4K HDTV even though human eyes can't see individual pixels, you still see the effects of finite resolution (aliasing/moire effects) far beyond angular vision resolution.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 14 Mar 2014, 02:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There are also differences between a display (an ordered matrix of pixels) and human vision (an unordered scatter of photoreceptors), so it's hard to translate between the two.
It's actually quite remarkable how ordered the cone mosaic is in the fovea, at least for the L and M cones.

http://webvision.med.utah.edu/book/part ... receptors/

However, while the distribution of cones as a whole may be ordered, the distribution of cone subtypes appears much less regular.

http://www.neitzvision.com/content/publ ... JNeuro.pdf