Will the Blur Busters BenQ strobe utility work for me?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
PlayTekken

Will the Blur Busters BenQ strobe utility work for me?

Post by PlayTekken » 07 Mar 2019, 19:13

I picked up an old PS4 to check out Horizon Zero Dawn and tournament format Tekken, but immediately noticed that the LED tv it's connected to blurs every movement. I'm thinking of picking up a monitor to cut this blur down, but I have a concern:

Framerate isn't adjustable on this console. Apart from Tekken which runs locked at 60, the games I've got seem to all have a variable fps, flying anywhere from 40-55 mid-game. Will the strobe utility available on this site allow a BenQ's lightboost tech to handle this, or is motion blur reduction not possible without a consistent framerate?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Will the Blur Busters BenQ strobe utility work for me?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Mar 2019, 01:50

If you have one of the supported models that can single-strobe at 60Hz.
XL2411 / XL2411Z / XL2411P / XL2420Z / XL2720Z / XL2420G

1. Tune with Blur Busters Strobe Utility at 1080p 60Hz on PC
2. Now switch to the console
3. You have single-strobe 60Hz available.

You have motion blur reduction, just that stutters are quite much more visible without motion blur to hide stutters. So 40fps at 60Hz look less blurry but also looks more stutterier.

Blur reduction looks like nirvana when you have frame rate = strobe rate = refresh rate

There are many who still prefer the reduced motion blur despite the amplified stutter, but if you want to eliminate the stutter too, you want the full frame rate (aka 60fps) and you want the strobe rate to go single-strobe (60Hz strobe at 60Hz). It will also look more flickery because 60 Hz strobe flickers more than 120 Hz strobe. It's a tradeoff.

One thing you can do is turn on blur reduction whenever you are running a full 60fps game, and turn off blur reduction when you're playing something else.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PlayTekken

Post by PlayTekken » 09 Mar 2019, 21:25

Thank you for your help! I haven't bought one of these monitors yet, I'm just waiting to understand whether it will be worth it for me to do that, or to find some other solution.

I can't quite picture in my head what is meant by stuttering. Does the screen freeze every few frames? And is this guaranteed if my fps and strobe rate don't match?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2019, 13:36

PlayTekken wrote:Thank you for your help! I haven't bought one of these monitors yet, I'm just waiting to understand whether it will be worth it for me to do that, or to find some other solution.

I can't quite picture in my head what is meant by stuttering. Does the screen freeze every few frames? And is this guaranteed if my fps and strobe rate don't match?
It could look like microstutter: microstutter

This is always visible without strobing but strobing can make stutters even more visible (because there is no display motion blur to hide stuttering). So having games run even smoother is useful for good-looking motion blur reduction. Strobing looks best with frame rate matching refresh rate, and is most useful for fast-motion games that has lots of scrolling, panning or turning behaviours.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PlayTekken

Post by PlayTekken » 10 Mar 2019, 18:21

Shoot, that stutter demo looks terrible! Like the white bars are consistently leaving behind a little white double image. I can't track a clear bar across the screen with my eye at all, I don't want this. So two new questions then:

If motion blur reduction needs to be done at a higher frame rate, can the interpolation from a tv set work with an unlocked, shifting framerate? And is there such thing as a tv that can handle interpolation, blur reduction, and is under 45" diagonal?

Also, is there a way I can support this site? It has been a big help.