ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Series!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
jubaz

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Post by jubaz » 14 Mar 2014, 09:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
phroaig wrote:My v001-20131008 -- DOESN'T WORK
Rennkuckuck wrote:I also got the Firmware V001-201310008, but I found that BenQ Taiwan has published a newer Firmware Version for the XL27020Z which could be downloaded here: http://gaming.benq.com/downloads/ Its name is XL2720ZV2_20131209_2731.BIN

Is that the Firmware which is needed for the strobe utility? If yes, do you see a way of upgrading that on my own? You earlier mentioned a hardware with USB and DVI connector and a step by step instruction, but it seems this hardware is no longer available.. what is your opinion?

Thanks for your great job!
Keep tuned for forthcoming news/instructions on how to install that now-released firmware upgrade needed for Blur Busters Strobe Utility compatibility.
From Gaming.benq.com: 13/3 2014

Please click the link below to download: http://gaming.benq.com/downloads/

Please note:
A specific hardware tool and specific software are also needed in order to do the firmware upgrade. If gamers have further quires, please contact your local BenQ service hot line.

is that the forthcoming news/instructions on how to install that now-released firmware upgrade needed for Blur Busters Strobe Utility compatibility ?

Just to sum it up, as of yesterday, we still need to ship back our monitors or purchase hardware to flash.
Or is there more news to come ??

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 09:46

Yes, this is the news I've been waiting for. New BENQ firmware adds support for third party utilities (Blur Busters Strobe Utility). I know all of us wanted this to be a part of the Z-series from the beginning, but this now provides a solution for everyone who wants Blur Busters Strobe Utility to adjust (fix) the strobe issues.

-- You will have to send in the monitor for firmware upgrading;
OR
-- You will have to purchase the MSTAR ISP unit to install the firmware.

More information will be posted on here in the near future. For those who have not bought yet, I will be providing a link to where you can buy a BENQ Z-Series monitor with the firmware already pre-installed. This will guarantee that you have a Z-Series with the V2 firmware preinstalled. Keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Juin

Post by Juin » 14 Mar 2014, 09:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote: For those who have not bought yet, I will be providing a link to where you can buy a BENQ Z-Series monitor with the firmware already pre-installed. This will guarantee that you have a Z-Series with the V2 firmware preinstalled. Keep tuned.
That's good news! One more question will you also be providing a link for people living in Europe or just the USA?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 10:18

Juin wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: For those who have not bought yet, I will be providing a link to where you can buy a BENQ Z-Series monitor with the firmware already pre-installed. This will guarantee that you have a Z-Series with the V2 firmware preinstalled. Keep tuned.
That's good news! One more question will you also be providing a link for people living in Europe or just the USA?
I will find out -- keep tuned.

Meanwhile -- RELEASE DATE for Blur Busters Strobe Utility: March 16th, 2014
(now that the BENQ news is out)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Rennkuckuck

Post by Rennkuckuck » 14 Mar 2014, 11:31

is that the hardware I need for the V2 firmware?

http://cart100.com/Product/18092359047/ ... g_Tool_US/

I know that I am impatient :-)

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 14 Mar 2014, 15:06

Rennkuckuck wrote:is that the hardware I need for the V2 firmware?

I think that's the right piece of hardware. Chief, do you know of any other site with cheaper shipping costs for Europeans like me (in that site it's $20.63 for me)?
I would also like instructions on how to use it.

In my opinion, buying the MSTAR unit might be the best thing I can do, just in case another firmware update happens (or for helping friends, or using it on future monitors, etc).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 15:15

Rennkuckuck wrote:is that the hardware I need for the V2 firmware?
Yup.
That will successfully install the BenQ V2 firmware, it's exactly the unit I used to install the V2 firmware.
Yes, instructions will be posted. Keep tuned.
EDIT: Instructions now at http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-fir ... -z-series/
masterotaku wrote:In my opinion, buying the MSTAR unit might be the best thing I can do, just in case another firmware update happens (or for helping friends, or using it on future monitors, etc).
This makes total sense. You can even resell the MSTAR ISP to somebody else, probably for almost the full price you purchased, essentially getting your money back, too!

Surround Users:
You only need to buy one unit to upgrade multiple monitors.
This is cheaper than shipping three XL2720Z's for servicing/exchange.

Rennkuckuck

Post by Rennkuckuck » 16 Mar 2014, 06:43

@Chief Blur Buster
What would be your recommended settings for the blurbusters strobe utility to have the sweet spot for emilinating the double images in the lower screen trird?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2014, 04:34

Blur Busters Strobe Utility is now released!
http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility/

Optimal Crosstalk setting varies based on current refresh rate (and/or custom timings). If you use the "Vertical Total 1350 Trick", the optimal Crosstalk setting will usually be between 0 and 3 during 100 to 120Hz. At other times, it will work best at a much higher setting. Crosstalk is easily calibrated while viewing TestUFO motion tests.

LogicElite

Post by LogicElite » 19 Mar 2014, 11:45

For those who are using Display Pilot.

Make sure that Display pilot is disabled while using Blur Busters Strobe utility since it may results some conflict with the blur reduction functionality.