About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Notty_PT » 13 Mar 2019, 13:25

I got my VG258QR 15min ago! Already typing on it.

- 0 Backlight bleed
- 0 clouding
- 0 QC problems

I´m finding the scrolling on websites blurry, wich has been usual on Asus models lately and wich means it has overdrive issues. However I didn´t tweak anything yet so I will save my final opinions for later and hopefully fix it :) If not, is just another Asus being returned. I hope I can find a solution tho, because the monitor seems almost perfect on everything else.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 13 Mar 2019, 14:02

Oh damn another monitor? Looking forward to your report sir.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Mar 2019, 09:33

Well, tested this monitor for many hours now. I will try to return it and I wish I didn´t get it :D

Tbh this model is prolly the best Asus model I ever tried quality control wise. The backlight bleed/clouding are almost non existant, the contrast is very good for a TN panel. I guess this is due to these new AUO 24,5 144hz panels, being superior to their last gen.

The input lag is amazing, I felt it as fast if not fastest than the ViewSonic XG2402 (both compared at 144hz for that matter, because 165hz scanout is obviously faster).

The problem with this Asus model and with pretty much every Asus model lately, is the damn overdrive. This monitor is only usable at Trace Free 40 and at that point it is almost as fast as an IPS panel. You can immediatly notice how blurry it is by scrolling on websites, specially on bright colours (white, grey). At Trace Free 60 it gets better, but the added overshoot is too bad to me, and immediatly noticeable. Easily noticeable on the UFO test. Trace Free 80 and 100 are a complete no go, of course. So the options are using Trace Free 40 and dealing with blur, or using 60 and dealing with obvious overshoot.

With that being said, I can´t reccomend this monitor to anyone and I will gadly stick with the XG2402. Changing from one monitor to the other makes the ghosting/overdrive issues so damn obvious, is not even funny. Everytime I switched back to the XG2402 it was like "wow". The extra 21hz on the Asus do not make up for the bad overdrive issues.

My personal advice: Stay Away from this monitor or pretty much every recent Asus monitor. I like to highlight the word "personal",

This didn´t cut it for me, will try to return it asap.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Mar 2019, 11:13

I never had an Asus and no idea how the xg2402 looks.
TraceFree 80/100 does cause ghosting/coronas but i didn't notice 60 as bad as you describe. It might be because i never saw a gaming monitor or because i'm at 120hz hdmi.
Do you notice that in games or just web scrolling?
Does ELMB at 165hz behave the same?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Mar 2019, 11:20

I noticeed it on both websites and games! Even on sports games is easily noticeable. On Pro Evolution Soccer, for example, there is a clear trail behind the players while running. An overshoot trailing at TraceFree 60 and a ghosting/blur trailing at TraceFree 40.

On Quake Champions the overshoot was not obvious, because it is a dark game and the monitor behaves correctly on very dark colours!

On Apex, Battlefield, it was shockingly bad. I tried 60hz, 144hz and 165hz. Didn´t try 120hz like you did, so i can´t comment on that.

Didn´t bother to try ELMB because flickering hurts my eyes after 10 minutes, and I hate the added input lag.

Anyway, if you don´t notice any problem is because you aren´t as sensitive as me! And your opinion is the one that matters the most, not mine. If it seems awesome for you I´m happy! Enjoy :)

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Mar 2019, 11:31

The text while web scrolling is not really sharp to be easily readable but i always though that is normal on all monitors.
And with blue light filter the text turns green.
I'll try different games to see if i notice something.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Mar 2019, 13:05

Try to scroll on this page for example, is one of the examples where you can immediatly spot the blur.

The text on this monitor is very blurry too, and while VividPixel fixes that, it also adds input lag! So stay away from vividpixel

pox02

Post by pox02 » 14 Mar 2019, 15:30

Notty_PT wrote:The problem with this Asus model and with pretty much every Asus model lately, is the damn overdrive. This monitor is only usable at Trace Free 40 and at that point it is almost as fast as an IPS panel.
so i was right above Trace Free 40 its cause ghosting/overshoot/trailing dang asus :(
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Mar 2019, 18:55

pox02 wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:The problem with this Asus model and with pretty much every Asus model lately, is the damn overdrive. This monitor is only usable at Trace Free 40 and at that point it is almost as fast as an IPS panel.
so i was right above Trace Free 40 its cause ghosting/overshoot/trailing dang asus :(
You have this monitor too? So you noticed the same as me? That´s good, because shows that I´m not crazy or hating on Asus :D I would take the extra 21hz over the XG2402 144hz anytime! A CPU that can sustain 138fps, can usually also do 160fps without any problem. Is an easy framerate to hit on any modern engine. But not at the cost of awful overdrive!

Also I have to mention, these new AUO 144hz panels are really really good. The contrast is top notch for TN panel, clouding/backlight bleed is almost non existant. For anyone interested you can try 144hz models with this new panel. Just avoid Asus overall.

Asus VG258QR has worse overdrive than some IPS monitors I used

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 15 Mar 2019, 10:28

With Tracefree 60 I can see it in desktop, moving cursor (gets a blue shadow) and dragging a window (gets a shadow on the window and text). The effect is small but it's there. I suppose it should have none then?
I tried with Apex Legends and Quake Champions but couldn't really see it for most of the time.
In games it's harder to notice because it gets disguised with other colors/textures constantly changing.

Doesn't freesync usually fixes these things? Did you try it?

With Tracefree 100 the overshoot is big, so this kind of defeats the purpose of the 2,3ms input lag and must use Tracefree 60 with 3,6ms, wich is the same as XG240R or XG2402.
I actually played a bit of QuakeWorld with Tracefree 100 but my eyes seem to be under strain with so much overshoot.

What is left is 165hz and ELMB that can be used together and this is a great addition.
I need to try this and freesync.

I agree with what you said about this monitor, but if someone wants a 24,5'' 1920x1080 165hz+ELMB FreeSync 3,6ms input lag with no panel issues (backlight bleed, clouding) and is not bothered or cannot see the small overshoot with Tracefree 60, this is still a valid/great option.
Since i bought it for a great price, what i'm probably going to do is keep it until XG2402 is at a reasonable price (i can then compare both monitors) and then sell it by the same 271€ since it will not go down from 350€ for a long time.