Asus VG279Q IPS vs Asus VG278Q TN? both Freesync 144Hz 1080P

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
FireMarshallBill

Asus VG279Q IPS vs Asus VG278Q TN? both Freesync 144Hz 1080P

Post by FireMarshallBill » 16 Mar 2019, 13:16

So both of these monitors are Freesync 144Hz 1080P except the VG278Q is rated 1ms GTG while the VG279Q is rated 1ms MPRT (3ms GTG).

Is this a no brainer would the IPS be a better choice? I've only ever owned TN & VA panels and I'm reading about "IPS Glow" and poor black levels, are the black levels worse than a TN panel? (is that even possible lol).

I currently own the VG278Q but still have time to exchange it for the IPS model, yay or nay?

Also would the VG279's IPS have slightly more motion blur with gaming vs the TN?

Sorry for all the questions but any input is appreciated lol.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Asus VG279Q IPS vs Asus VG278Q TN? both Freesync 144Hz 1

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2019, 04:52

GtG is pixel response time, and is often more relevant to ghosting/smearing artifacts
MPRT is pixel visibility time, and affects motion blur much more.

Actually, 1ms MPRT is the same thing as ULMB because the only thing that successfully achieves 1ms MPRT without needing a 1000Hz refresh rate, is the use of a strobe backlight like ULMB, since MPRT time is refresh cycle visibility time, and anything less than a refresh cycle, automatically means black period between refresh cycles, which automatically means a strobe backlight.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

FireMarshallBill

Re: Asus VG279Q IPS vs Asus VG278Q TN? both Freesync 144Hz 1

Post by FireMarshallBill » 17 Mar 2019, 12:01

ohh ok I believe this means I'd have to enable the ELMB feature on the monitor to achieve this 1ms MPRT claim (ELMB = Asus's version of backlight strobe which is available on both models) but the ELMB feature has restrictions, you have to set the monitor to 120Hz (instead of 144) and you also have to disable Freesync / Gsync which is kind of a bummer.

I've been reading through the Amazon reviews for the VG279Q and honestly I'll probably just stick with the VG278Q, (both models have flaws) There is at least one reviewer who shows examples of IPS glow and I'm not sure how I feel about it, either way Thanks for the reply!