Nixeus EDG 27 Ghosting and Overdrive

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Alexnader

Nixeus EDG 27 Ghosting and Overdrive

Post by Alexnader » 19 Mar 2019, 19:43

I'm looking to get a freesync monitor as I don't want to be locked into Nvidia cards for the next 5 years or so (my current monitor has lasted 10 years). I mostly want good gaming performance with minimal ghosting with decent colour accuracy and contrast as secondary priorities.

I play AAA FPS games like Battlefield and while I've got a good GPU now (RTX 2080), I won't be upgrading that every couple of years so I need a monitor that looks good down to ~50 FPS.

To that end ideally I'd want a freesync monitor with adaptive overdrive. The Nixeus EDG 27 has been touted as having adaptive overdrive but I can't find any actual measurements of this capability either in the form of the UFO test or response time values at varying refresh rates. The only review with a UFO test I've found doesn't seem to have done the UFO test correctly based on the broken ladder https://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/ ... erformance. Can anyone who's had experience with the monitor help me out? Will it meet my requirements?

As an alternative I'm considering the AG27QX which I'm hoping as a TN monitor will have acceptable levels of ghosting even without variable overdrive. This of course also means sacrificing some of the other benefits of the IPS monitor but it's a lot cheaper where I live.

Also if anyone can recommend any other 1440p 27" IPS Freesync monitors with good overdrive implementations that'd be cool too.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Nixeus EDG 27 Ghosting and Overdrive

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2019, 16:35

Alas, you may want to trade-up your monitor a little more often than 10 years because the technology is changing a bit faster with gaming monitors.

You have an NVIDIA card, so an alternative is to get a native GSYNC monitor -- these do include dynamic variable overdrive in sync with their variable refresh rates. It's included as part of the "GSYNC premium".

VRR makes fluctuating framerates look pretty comfortable to look at, an erratic fluctuating framerate 40-60fps looks much more comfortable on a VRR display than a non-VRR display.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!