How ULMB looks for desktop use?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cacs1985

How ULMB looks for desktop use?

Post by cacs1985 » 17 Mar 2019, 09:39

Hey, guys!

I am wondering if anyone can post pictures of how ULMB looks like for desktop use? I mean, a desktop comparison with and without ULMB.

I heard that when ULMB is on, the image gets darker. And I would like to know how much it would be.

I plan to buy a Dell Alienware AW2518H. I know different models have different ULMB features. I just want to have an idea.

Thank you a lot!

Cacs

karavanasam

Re: How ULMB looks for desktop use?

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 09:56

I can only tell from my experience.Asus monitors have the same thing called ELMB,extreme low motion blur.It makes monitor like CRT but it really is very dark.It is like brightness set to 0.Very fluid but terrible brightness.
But my recent monitor VG258 165 hz is great.You really dont need ELMB or ULMB.I play 3 different multiplayer games.I have very good performance.Just use Vsync or Fsync/Gsync and you will like its speed.But somehow you need to select your color format as Rgb Limited for this monitor.I really dont know why really.Maybe someone very smart can explain it to us.:)

cacs1985

Post by cacs1985 » 18 Mar 2019, 17:17

ty for ur reply. I wish I could see printscreen . lol So I would have something to compare.

ty!

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 18 Mar 2019, 17:52

If you buy that monitor,use GSYNC instead.It already will be enough fast for games 240hz-1ms.You will not need ULMB.
My recent monitor is almost like a perfect gaming monitor.And it is 165hz.You will buy 240hz.Trust your monitor's speed. ;)
I was just kicked from a multiplayer game because of playing too good.My own team votekicked me.I should be angry but I am not.I will return.:twisted:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2019, 19:53

cacs1985 wrote:ty for ur reply. I wish I could see printscreen . lol So I would have something to compare.

ty!
The only way to successfully see motion blur reduction is a pursuit camera, which captures the differences in motion blur.

Real pursuit camera photographs, so it is WYSIWYG motion blur that you see with your eyes at http://www.testufo.com/ghosting
These photographs are not simulated. Originally from 60Hz vs 120Hz vs ULMB.

60 Hz = baseline
120 Hz = 50% less motion blur at full frame rate
ULMB = 90-98% less motion blur at full frame rate

Some blur reduction backlights on some monitors are fairly bright (300 nits on a 240Hz monitor), while very dim on some other monitors. It depends on the monitor and the brand of motion blur reduction. See Motion Blur Reduction FAQ.

CRT oldtimers who's never seen a LCD motion blur reduction mode, are shocked that LCD can pretty much erase 90%-98% of its own motion blur with some clever engineering tricks.

(TL;DR: Cramming pixel response time GtG into the blanking interval between refresh cycles -- and flashing the backlight briefly once per refresh cycle -- only on a fully refreshed individual refresh cycle (on the LCD panel) -- hiding vast majority of pixel transitions in the dark periods between strobe backlight flashes. See High Speed Video of LightBoost.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2019, 20:00

karavanasam wrote:If you buy that monitor,use GSYNC instead.It already will be enough fast for games 240hz-1ms.You will not need ULMB.
You sometimes still need ULMB for certain situations.
I say "Right Tool For The Right Job"

- ULMB can eliminate motion blur without needing high framerates.
- 85fps@85Hz (ULMB) has far less motion blur than 240fps@240Hz (non-ULMB)
- Easier to go blur-free at lower frame rates
- You need triple match synchronization (framerate = refreshrate = stroberate) for amazing CRT/LightBoost/ULMB/impulse driven display motion. So use a low-lag VSYNC ON trick. Blur reduction can amplify microstuttering, so you must fix your microstutter weak links. Including mandatory framerate lock to refresh rate. including your mouse, to make ULMB perform to your competitive advantage.

Also, useful to read HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively including fixing the strobe-amplified microstuttering effect (and getting TestUFO-smooth into your games too).

ULMB benefits very scrolly/panny crosshairsless games quite a bit (games that don't have a fixed gaze point). Some of you only play games that has crosshairs, which means you won't notice ULMB benefits nearly as much. See the guide's motion tests to understand why ULMB doesn't benefit stare-at-crosshairs tactics. ULMB doesn't help stationary-gaze but massively helps moving-gaze (tracking eyes on moving objects). Some games force you to move your eyes around a lot more (e.g. super-fast-scrolling games, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

JordanV

Post by JordanV » 19 Mar 2019, 20:09

cacs1985 wrote:Hey, guys!

I heard that when ULMB is on, the image gets darker. And I would like to know how much it would be.

Cacs
The brightness reduction depends on the display. If you check tftcentral, they list the brightness levels at different settings with strobing on and off. Many monitors lose a ton of brightness with strobing, but there are a handful, particularly DyAc equipped models, that are bright even with strobing enabled. High Hz is not a substitute for strobing personally but as Mark says, that depends on each case. If you have a monitor that TFT Central has tested you can probably approximate the brightness levels using their data i.e. change your brightness to match the nits of the monitor you are interested in to see whether it is too much or not.

It doesn't tell the whole story as there are differences in reflectivity and color saturation to factor in, but it is a start.

cacs1985

Post by cacs1985 » 19 Mar 2019, 20:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
cacs1985 wrote:ty for ur reply. I wish I could see printscreen . lol So I would have something to compare.

ty!
The only way to successfully see motion blur reduction is a pursuit camera, which captures the differences in motion blur.[/url].)[/i]

I think I wasn't clear enough. Sorry for that. What I meant was that I wanted to see some print screens with ULMB ON and OFF to see if there is any noticeable change in how dark the ULMB gets.

Ty again!

cacs1985

Post by cacs1985 » 19 Mar 2019, 20:18

JordanV wrote:
cacs1985 wrote:Hey, guys!

Cacs
The brightness reduction depends on the display. If you check tftcentral, they list the brightness levels at different settings with strobing on and off. Many monitors lose a ton of brightness with strobing, but there are a handful, particularly DyAc equipped models, that are bright even with strobing enabled. High Hz is not a substitute for strobing personally but as Mark says, that depends on each case. If you have a monitor that TFT Central has tested you can probably approximate the brightness levels using their data i.e. change your brightness to match the nits of the monitor you are interested in to see whether it is too much or not.

It doesn't tell the whole story as there are differences in reflectivity and color saturation to factor in, but it is a start.
Yeah. I always read their articles. But the monitor I want isn't listed there.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 20 Mar 2019, 03:07

Chief you are right but using ELMB is like eating a birthday cake without sugar.You get very good performance but you just dont enjoy playing the game even with CRT quality. :D But if there are monitors which let you use ULMB with a good brightness then it must be very expensive or something.My recent monitor Asus VG258QR gives very good performance when used tracefree:100 setting.True it has some color ghosting when you surf but you really dont notice them in games.I am 40 years old.I played many games and used CRT,LCD monitors.Finally I feel like I found my medicine. :)
"Some games force you to move your eyes around a lot more (e.g. super-fast-scrolling games, etc)."
True there is a game called CUPHEAD which was like you said.I will try it soon with these settings and see if my monitor is fast enough for that game. :)