MSTAR ISP rent/buy/sell/trade [upgrade BENQ to V2 firmware]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 14 Mar 2014, 23:14

Anyone want to/willing to do some sort of rental/sharing of a mstar unit to get the firmware upgrades? If someone has one, maybe paypal them the cost minus a bit, and then send it on to the next person. Not like its a device most of us need to use more than once.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 14:56

What is an MSTAR ISP?
The MSTAR ISP is a small hardware device that allows you to install new V2 firmwares on BENQ Z-Series monitors. For more information, see: DIY Firmware Upgrade Instructions for doing it yourself, or getting a BENQ service center to do it for you.

Easier Way Without MSTAR ISP
If you have not purchased your BENQ Z-Series, you can get an XL2411Z / XL2420Z / XL2720Z with Version 2 firmware already preinstalled.
TheRulesLawyer wrote:Anyone want to/willing to do some sort of rental/sharing of a mstar unit to get the firmware upgrades? If someone has one, maybe paypal them the cost minus a bit, and then send it on to the next person. Not like its a device most of us need to use more than once.
This is a good idea. We welcome users collaborating themselves to sell MSTAR ISP units to each other for the specific purposes of upgrading BENQ Z-Series monitors.

Although Blur Busters Forum rules specifically prohibit Buy, Sell & Trade (to prevent fraud), we will permit Buy/Sell/Trade of MSTAR ISP units within this specific thread since these are low priced units (~$40) and would not currently be likely fraud targets at this time. Since they are likely one-time-use devices, it makes sense to recycle units to the next user cheaply and quickly, and faster shipping than receiving a package from China. No other buy/sell/trade is permitted (even by PM) since we are concerned about potential fraud, especially on big-ticket items -- please use ebay or other mechanisms. However MSTAR ISP is something extremely specific, and not a very highly desired item anyway (like iphones and laptops) except for owners of BENQ Z-Series (like us!).

I hereby make this thread the:
Official MSTAR ISP Buy/Sell/Trade Thread
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LogicElite

Re: MSTAR ISP rent/buy/sell/trade [upgrade BENQ to V2 firmwa

Post by LogicElite » 16 Mar 2014, 16:23

I currently own a kit. The kit will be available for rent or sell once the monitor will be updated :) (i'm in Canada)

Here a picture:
Last edited by LogicElite on 16 Mar 2014, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

Godimas

Post by Godimas » 16 Mar 2014, 16:57

Awesome dude. I would love to take you up on that. Just received my XL2720Z on Friday. it is a pretty sexy screen already. Cant wait to see how much better it looks once its updated.

whilson

Post by whilson » 16 Mar 2014, 18:20

need it also for rent :P somebody from germany ?:S

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 16 Mar 2014, 18:29

LogicElite wrote:I currently own a kit. The kit will be available for rent or sell once the monitor will be updated :)

Here a picture:
Let me know when you're done. I'll update and pass it on forward.

Lilianrira

Post by Lilianrira » 17 Mar 2014, 21:46

Looks like I'm probably going to need one too, although being in the UK I'm not sure about the postage costs. I'll give contacting BENQ a go first. :)

cybrnook

Post by cybrnook » 18 Mar 2014, 15:01

I as well would like to rent/purchase one from a user.

I live in the United States (Michigan)

Please PM me

kuschluk

Post by kuschluk » 18 Mar 2014, 17:14

I am in Germany - Deutschland / Rheinland-Pfalz - kann das Teil abgeben nach erfolgreichem flash ~ 62€ incl. Porto Deutschlandweit. Hab beim chinesen 67$ gezahlt.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2014, 02:01

UPDATE:
The DIY Firmware Instructions have now been published!

NOTE: Today; a Blur Busters reader also wrote in, that if you know how to use a soldering iron, there is an even cheaper method by connecting the DDC lines of a VGA cable to the parallel printer port (circuit board diagram will be published shortly). However, this method is currently untested by end users, so I can't guarantee it (yet). The MSTAR ISP method is prepackaged, much easier, and fully tested. For tests on the printer port method, post a new thread separate of this one.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!