FreeSync + audio bitstreaming?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
ChiefBigFeather

FreeSync + audio bitstreaming?

Post by ChiefBigFeather » 04 Nov 2018, 12:54

I would like to use FreeSync while also bitstream audio to my receiver. Has anyone found a solution other then the ASUS Xonar HDAV (the pci-e version is unavailable/stupidly expensive)?

Before you post, things that don't work:

I know of no receiver with VRR compliant passthrough

Using two different slots on your VGA for the display and receiver doesn't work because you need to go into multi monitor mode to transmit the sound. Freesync doesn't work in multi monitor mode.

There are no HDMI splitters with confirmed VRR support. There is one that claims VRR support but people reported it didn't work.

The ideal solution would either be a VRR compliant splitter or an external USB to HDMI audio device. Do you happen to know a device capable of doing this? Thanks in advance!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: FreeSync + audio bitstreaming?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Nov 2018, 17:27

Interesting use case -- switching VRR through a receiver.

Yes, that is something that needs more testing & validation. Especially with receivers that overlays graphics on top.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haldi

Post by Haldi » 02 Dec 2018, 10:35

ChiefBigFeather wrote:I would like to use FreeSync while also bitstream audio to my receiver.

Using two different slots on your VGA for the display and receiver doesn't work because you need to go into multi monitor mode to transmit the sound. Freesync doesn't work in multi monitor mode
Uhm, sorry i don't really follow...
By Bitsream you don't mean the normal PCM Signal that is sent via DP/HDMI but the Dobly Digital encoded one like DTS-HD?

i'm currently using a Samsung C49HG90 via Displayport from my Vega64. Freesync works.
For sound i use the HDMI Port to the Denon AVR-X1000 then a HDMI-DVI Adapter to my 2nd Monitor. But i'm pretty sure that also worked when no monitor was connected after the AVR.
Attachments
Sound.PNG
Sound.PNG (64.45 KiB) Viewed 13128 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2018, 18:19

It's also possible to use HDMI-to-Toslink splitter, but I don't know if those support FreeSync VRR. There's been failures to passthrough FreeSync through receivers and adaptors. So it's a bit of a guesswork game at this stage -- trying to pass FreeSync through adaptors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ChiefBigFeather

Post by ChiefBigFeather » 31 Mar 2019, 16:19

Haldi wrote:
ChiefBigFeather wrote:I would like to use FreeSync while also bitstream audio to my receiver.

Using two different slots on your VGA for the display and receiver doesn't work because you need to go into multi monitor mode to transmit the sound. Freesync doesn't work in multi monitor mode
Uhm, sorry i don't really follow...
By Bitsream you don't mean the normal PCM Signal that is sent via DP/HDMI but the Dobly Digital encoded one like DTS-HD?

i'm currently using a Samsung C49HG90 via Displayport from my Vega64. Freesync works.
For sound i use the HDMI Port to the Denon AVR-X1000 then a HDMI-DVI Adapter to my 2nd Monitor. But i'm pretty sure that also worked when no monitor was connected after the AVR.
Yes, by bitstreaming I mean bitstreaming DTS-HD etc.

Thanks for your input! I heard Freesync doesn't work for multi monitor setups, so I just assumed it wouldn't. Setting up my receiver as a second monitor annoyed me quite a bit though. It caused BSODs with fastsync (double buffer v-sync), but that one doesn't work very reliably on my system either way. I just assumed Freesync would be just as bad.

Using HDMI audio on a pc is such a pain in the ass, I constantly look out for hdmi sound cards. But apparently there are not enough people having this problem :/

supertoast

Post by supertoast » 03 Apr 2019, 05:35

There is no difference between multichannel PCM 7.1 and bitstreaming Dolby/DTS, TrueHD,DTS-HD other than logo lights up on the receiver.

PCM is much more desirable as it works with all audio sources, many games and pieces of software have no audio bitstreaming features. Run the Windows speaker wizard, if all is working it should see 7.1 audio, select that then in any game or app (e.g. Kodi) set the speakers to 7.1 if it has a setting.

HDMI soundcards are rare because of the above, you just use your GPU's Displayport or HDMI connection to your receiver to send PCM 5.1/7.1 audio.

From my experience on other av forums Displayport is much more reliable than HDMI for connecting up to a HDMI receiver, in Windows the connection has to probe the receiver and direct HDMI to HDMI for some reason often fails this resulting in PCM stereo only whereas Displayport to HDMI cables almost always correctly detect supported audio formats.

If your GPU has a spare DP port try that instead of HDMI, I briefly had a soundbar hooked up to my gaming Freesync PC and dont recall any problems though it was a while back.

The only audio/video splitter I know of with claimed HDMI VRR support is the HD Fury Vertex, that VRR is for Xbox though, I'm not sure if they tested it with PC's.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 24 Dec 2021, 17:07

Has there been any progress on this area? I really don't want to run another wire from my tower to the entertainment center.

My situation is a 3080 connecting to a LG CX, and two other gsync monitors... so it's pretty complicated. I would like to simplify by just extracting the audio...