Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

>>> VOTE!!!! Want Ads? Want Patreon? To Help Blur Busters!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.

How Would You Like To Help Blur Busters Pay For Itself?

I Use An Ad Blocker
13%
Add More Advertisements to Main Website (http://www.blurbusters.com)
16%
Add Banner Advertisements Here (to these discussion forums)
18%
Patreon-style Monthly Donation/Subscription (pay to get ads removed)
24%
Early Access Content
4%
More Affiliate Links (Amazon, NewEgg, eBay, etc)
22%
Other (please followup with idea)
1%

Total votes : 67

>>> VOTE!!!! Want Ads? Want Patreon? To Help Blur Busters!

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2019, 15:49

Blur Busters has recently deployed new advertisements at http://www.blurbusters.com
I'm trying to keep them non-intrusive and gentle.

As Blur Busters grows, it gets more expensive to operate...
Media Content, Research, Invent New Motion Tests, Invent New Products, Help Other Web Reviewers, Trips To Cover Conventions, Help Display Industry, Advocacy For High-Hz, Push The Refresh Rate Race, Etc, Etc.

Ideas
Now BlurBusters.com becoming a more mainstream website, is considering several options like
- Adding advertisements to these Forums
- Adding a Patreon style system to remove advertisements -- similiar to sites like AVSFORUM and ArsTechnica
- Etc.

About Patreon Style Systems: Many media websites such as Linus TechTips as well as ArsTechnica and others have their own respective "subscription" style systems or "Patreon" style systems that optionally lets you remove advertisements as well as get early VIP access to content. I'm NOT going to paywall the main media website (content will be freely viewable, though early-access options may be considered), just trying to find ideas to balance things out in a way fans are happy with.

About Amazon Affiliate links: For the last few years, Blur Busters have often posted Amazon links, as Blur Busters uses the Amazon Affiliate system. This helps pays for the costs of operating Blur Busters. Many users willingly appreciate this because they understand Blur Busters needs to pay for the costs of operations, but I totally understand some users hate them.

About Ad Blockers: No worries! I don't mind if some of you use an ad blocker or such, and clicking on links is purely optional, but I want to give users the option to support Blur Busters the way they would prefer.

VOTE on this poll: Appreciate your vote. You can select multiple boxes at the same time -- though please vote only one per checkbox per person...

Thank you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: *** POLL: Adding Ads and Patreon to Blur Busters?

Postby alexander1986 » 02 Apr 2019, 21:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:text

I voted for option 2,3,4 and 5 as I think they are all viable,

What would REALLY interest me and probably a lot of other users who come to these forums to seek information and feedback all the time,

would be something like in-depth reviews on the most popular gaming monitors, like the pg258q xl2546 xg248q and so on and so on, with thorough benchmarks and pictures of overdrive implementation, blur reduction implementation, input lag etc,

There are sites like rtings and others but for some weird reason its very rare to find a review on the really popular monitors, you have to go to one site to find a review of one monitor and to another to find another one, their measure methods vary and so on,

some real modern reviews on the best,newest, and most popular gaming monitors (and older favourites like the above mentioned pg258q/2546 etc) would be really awesome to have on this site, the forums are already filled with people asking for opinions on input lag-overdrive-strobing etc on these monitors and answers/feedback vary wildly from user to user,

a one stop site for the best and most accurate reviews would no doubt increase traffic and interest to the site, having more ads or banners or similar would probably make it worthwhile aswell and perhaps it could snowball from there, maybe even combine the reviews with video reviews on youtube with the same content as in the written ones like gamersnexus do with their hardware stuff,

IDK just my 2 cents :P as someone who wanted to find the best 240hz monitor as upgrade from vg248q its been really difficult to find a clear answer and some thorough reviews comparing the popular options with the same benchmark methods, had to go on the forums here to try and get some answers but still not really clear what is the best choice between for example pg258q or xl2546 or something newer/different to upgrade my old vg248qe, which by the way I purchased in 2012 after visiting this site and being blown away by the ufo tests :)

GL anyway whatever happens in the future!
alexander1986

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2019, 16:50

alexander1986 wrote:would be something like in-depth reviews on the most popular gaming monitors, like the pg258q xl2546 xg248q and so on and so on, with thorough benchmarks and pictures of overdrive implementation, blur reduction implementation, input lag etc,

All great ideas! Thank you for your feedback.

Blur Busters is a supplier of testing inventions to other reviewers & don't want to make allies turn into enemies (compete with allies)
Currently, Blur Busters takes the role of being a supplier of testing inventions to other review sites, and I am cognizant of competing with my fellow allies that use the Blur Busters tests. So, at the moment, we've not decided to mass-test monitors, traditional-reviewer-style. We also have additional testing inventions in the pipeline (in addition to TestUFO and pursuit camera), keep tuned. Thus far, we focus on specialty tests such as GSYNC 101, which are rare special features. And we are the inventors of some new monitor testing industry standards.

Possible Approach
So any decision to test monitors will be as a Blur Busters Certification Laboratory instead of as a traditional web reviewer. Blur Busters is already working on a Blur Busters Approved program for monitor manufacturers, so public publication of certification reports is one possible angle as an alternative to a traditional monitor review. Much like a motion-blur-reduction-testing equivalent to a FreeSync certification laboratory, or such. HDMI forum certifies HDMI stuff, AMD certifies FreeSync stuff. Blur Busters is well positioned to certify motion blur reduction stuff (and related topics). This will be an excellent supplement to regular reviewer research.

One-Stop Elements That Helps Our Reviewer Allies
Some "elements" of a one-stop is a good idea; Blur Busters might actually accumulate links to Allies (e.g. RTINGS, etc) within those certification test reports, as a one-stop-for-all. Few reviewers link to other reviewers, but we're willing to link to all of our ally reviewers. Some behind-the-scenes due diligence in preparing for reviews was done, and will be recycled into this. This is an approach we are evaluating in taking. Focus on Lab Tests (that other sites don't do) + links to Blur Busters allies who have reviews on the said monitor. This will avoid the "competing with our ally reviewers" factor.

Timeline is "When Ready"; it hugely depends on funding too -- the purpose of this POLL.
(Other readers, I appreciate your votes!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby alexander1986 » 05 Apr 2019, 08:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
One-Stop Elements That Helps Our Reviewer Allies
Some "elements" of a one-stop is a good idea; Blur Busters might actually accumulate links to Allies (e.g. RTINGS, etc) within those certification test reports, as a one-stop-for-all. Few reviewers link to other reviewers, but we're willing to link to all of our ally reviewers. Some behind-the-scenes due diligence in preparing for reviews was done, and will be recycled into this. This is an approach we are evaluating in taking. Focus on Lab Tests (that other sites don't do) + links to Blur Busters allies who have reviews on the said monitor. This will avoid the "competing with our ally reviewers" factor.

Timeline is "When Ready"; it hugely depends on funding too -- the purpose of this POLL.
(Other readers, I appreciate your votes!)

sounds great :)

and yes I was thinking something neutral/objective instead of "this monitor good that monitor bad" but just pure numbers and data, objective photos of testufo and input lag/strobing crosstalk etc, if the measurement method stays the same and consistent then the results will speak for themself, I do understand what you mean and where you coming from though,

hopefully we will have some cool stuff anyway in the somewhat near future anyway in the blur busting development, both on this site and from hardware makers :)

cheers
alexander1986

Return to Eliminating Motion Blur — LightBoost / ULMB / ELMB / DyAc