Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
KKNDT

Re: Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Post by KKNDT » 19 Dec 2018, 00:06

Which scanout diagram is correct while using GSYNC + VSYNC OFF when frame rate is higher than refresh rate?
Refresh cycle : Frame time ~= 3:2

A: similar with pure NO SYNC
B: Part of the current frame (eg. frame 2) will be abandened, the next refresh cycle (cycle 2)starts synchronously with delivery of frame 3 (yellow).
1.png
1.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 8161 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2018, 13:46

This thread is not ideally for display engineering style questions. Those should be posted in Area 51, and not in this GSYNC 101 tweaking HOWTO. This discussion may later (in the next few hours) be moved to Area51 once you've read the reply.

<TECHNICAL REPLY>
Advanced Reading for Advanced Users

Scanout diagram A

However, scanout diagram A needs to contains some thin slices of minimum-possible VBI blanking interval, so corrected diagram A for both VSYNC OFF as well as GSYNC+VSYNC OFF for the situation of continuous "frame-time < refresh-time" (framerate permanently above hz):

The relevant Blur Busters themed scanout diagram is:

The same situation happens with 360fps during 120Hz GSYNC+VSYNC OFF and 120Hz FreeSync+VSYNC OFF. There are implementation differences behind the scenes for GSYNC/FreeSync but the scanout behaviour (because that's where matters from a human vision & latency perspective: displays painting the refresh top-to-bottom, so top edge of a refresh cycles have photons hitting eyes first) is the same; a new refresh cycle cannot be started until right after the minimum-specified VBI size. For FreeSync, the minimum VBI size is dependant on the EDID/DisplayID advertised by the monitor or the custom resolution configured as the current Vertical Total. FreeSync/HDMI VRR/VESA AdaptiveSync -- all interoperably enlarges/reduces the Back Porch (embedded in the Vertical Total number) changing every single refresh cycle to dynamically space the refresh cycles apart, but can be never be below the minimum allowed number.

</TECHNICAL REPLY>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 25 Jan 2019, 13:39

G-SYNC 101 series part 15, "G-SYNC 101: Closing FAQ" posted:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/15/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 01 Feb 2019, 21:57

Is there any harm in enabling G-Sync and keeping it enabled for both Fullscreen AND Borderless Mode? I use FSE 99% of the time, but some Unity-engine-based games do not even support FSE and use only Borderless mode. I think the most recent Unity builds do offer FSE, but Pillars of Eternity and 1 and 2, for example, don't support FSE

Microsoft says that D3D12 does not even have FSE and keeps pushing for Borderless mode, which is bothersome because it reduces FPS and can cause stutters... More info on that can be found in educational video from MS here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wTajGZOsA .

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Feb 2019, 22:34

There is no harm for games; the sole difference between the two G-SYNC modes, is that one is only active in FSE, and the other is active across FSE, borderless, and windowed mode.

G-SYNC "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" does apply to some non-game apps, however, so you can get the occasional/rare nuisance of certain program windows dropping/fluctuating Hz on the desktop unnecessarily when active/focused on.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Feb 2019, 23:01

Even among FSE (Full Screen Exclusive) I've seen some wonkiness occuring for some reason.

With the new Windows 10 gaming mode, some windowed applications start behaving as if they're in FSE when they go borderless windowed. There are subtle differences but tearing suddenly appears (VSYNC OFF) or suddenly goes in VRR mode (even when windowed VRR is disabled).

This even happens in applications with no true FSE support (Full Screen Exclusive).

In many situations, this is often desirable (except in situations when it is not).

Even the Chrome web browser behaves this way. When I disable GSYNC and configure NVIDIA Control Panel to use VSYNC OFF for full screen mode -- then I can see tearing in TestUFO animations when I run chrome.exe with the --disable-frame-rate-limit and then I do Full Screen on the browser window via the TestUFO full screen button. Framerates are ultrahigh though, like 1000fps or 2000fps! It's like I forced Chrome into a FSE mode everytime the window is maximized (F11 fullscreen mode). Basically I've forced an FSE-equivalent onto a non-FSE app like the Chrome web browser.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mimi

Post by Mimi » 09 Apr 2019, 05:11

Hey Guys !

First just thanks you for all this informations, give me some headache but so worth it unfortunately I don't think I'm sharp enough to have an answer to what I'm looking for :lol:

I am a competitive player on fortnite, and I would have liked to have the best possible optimization (less input lag possible, and the least tearing), my current configuration is: msi 2080 ti (oc), i9-9900k (oc), and 16 go Ram (4000hz) and a 240hz screen, I set my fps in game at 240, to know that Fortnite at the end of the game is a fps opener and very rarely remains above 240 fps despite all my optimizations and even goes down to ~100 fps, I would have liked to know according to you what is the best possible optimization?

My optimisation for input lag :

Gsync on, vsync off, and fps cap in game : 240

My optimisation for better rendering, less tearing, little much input lag :

Gsync on, vsync on, and fps cap in game : 240

So my question is do you have a better optimization? Should I lower the frequency of my screen? Should i cap my fps in game at 140 with 244hz screen ?

Thank you in advance for your return :D

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2019, 07:06

Mimi wrote:My optimisation for input lag :

Use a cap of 237FPS, not 240. This will reduce tearing.

Use a cap of 237FPS, not 240. This will reduce input lag. :-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Mimi

Post by Mimi » 09 Apr 2019, 07:15

RealNC wrote:
Mimi wrote:My optimisation for input lag :

Use a cap of 237FPS, not 240. This will reduce tearing.

Use a cap of 237FPS, not 240. This will reduce input lag. :-)
Thanks for the answer ! :lol: different things :

1) What is better for high competitive game ?

Gsync on, vsync on or Gsync on, vsync off ?

2) Lategame, The fps of the game goes down no matter what happens to 80/100/150 maximum, so I inevitably suffer an increase in input lag and tearing, so what can i do ?

3) Fortnite fps cap is 120/140/180/200/240, i can't cap at 237 so i need RTSS but RTSS increase input lag :/

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2019, 07:24

Mimi wrote:1) Wwhat is better for high competitive game ?

Gsync on, vsync on or Gsync on, vsync off ?
If you get 300FPS, use gsync off. If you don't, then gsync on + vsync on + 237FPS cap should be fine.
2) Have you a idea for the problem of late game in fortnite the fps of the game goes down no matter what happens to 80/100/150 maximum, so I inevitably suffer an increase in input lag and tearing, so what can i do ?
No idea :-/
3) Fortnite fps cap is 120/140/180/200/240, i can't cap at 237 so i need RTSS but RTSS increase input lag :/
You should be able to use a custom FPS in the ini file (I think it's GameUserSettings.ini.) Someone made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPdJiBBE5g
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.