Motion Blur and me - weird stuff, would appreciate assistanc

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Nhadala

Motion Blur and me - weird stuff, would appreciate assistanc

Post by Nhadala » 12 Apr 2019, 14:57

Now, ive had an ASUS VG248QE for 4-5 years now and it still works fine, but id like an upgrade and i tried the PG279Q from ASUS.

Terrible motion clarity! When playing most games without ULMB i got horrible motion blur all across the screen, it was so bad that even my mobile phone could capture it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zZ27Q ... -KBPvjP7o2 (can upload to youtube if people are afraid to click on a google drive link), this happened in every game, it was worse in MHW(i did disable motion blur in the options menu for both monitors) and Path of Exile, but it even happened in games it should never be happening in, like MMORPGS(FFXIV, GW2), like what.....

But thats so weird, like, the PG279Q is barely slower than the VG248QE! Heck, i dont even have lightboost enabled on my VG248QE, the only thing is that the setting that goes between 0-100 (trace-free? overdrive? not sure) is at 100.

I showed the video to my friend who has an XB270HU and he was amazed, he doesnt see what he sees on the video on his screen at all(same game), and the XB270HU is worse than the PG279Q and no, he doesnt have ULMB enabled.

What is going on here? I got one replacement PG279Q from amazon, same problem, i had to eventually return them and get a refund.

I am somewhat sad too, because the PG279Q was amazing in every other area..., i did try ULMB, but it limited the FPS and butchered some other things(worked perfectly fine tho, no motion blur at all).

So, whats going on here? Id like to upgrade this monitor soon to something with better visuals and 1440p, but i bought the "best" 1440p gaming monitor with an excellent balance of colors and lag and its motion clarity was less than stellar, did i get faulty units(as my friend with a worse monitor told me he doesnt see the same blur he sees on my video on his screen on the exact same game)? Are my eyes playing games on me? Some guidance would be appreciated on the matter, i am a gamer.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Motion Blur and me - weird stuff, would appreciate assis

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Apr 2019, 16:58

(1) For ULMB, make sure framerate matches refresh rate (fps=Hz).

(2) I see telltale signs of checkerboard texture that may be an LCD inversion artifact issue -- Can you verify if your problem is related to LCD inversion or motion blur? forum thread

Before I continue to help you, let's narrow scope, and verify if your problem is related to motion blur or a different side effect;

Also, secondarily, let's make sure strobe is working rather than failing (e.g. defective ULMB). A ULMB that doesn't strobe, is an RMA warranty claim.
1. Display a big white screen (e.g. Windows Notepad) and wave your hand really fast in front of it. If ULMB is turned on, you will see stroboscopic effects.
2. Alternatively, see www.testufo.com/eyetracking with ULMB enabled. Look at the 2nd UFO. Do you see vertical lines (similiar to while staring at UFO #1) or a more solid grey background? If you see very sharp vertical lines while staring at either UFO, then ULMB is working fine.
3. Can you read the street name labels at www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png ...? If you can with ULMB turned on, then ULMB is working fine. If not, there is potentially a problem.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nhadala

Post by Nhadala » 13 Apr 2019, 05:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:(1) For ULMB, make sure framerate matches refresh rate (fps=Hz).

(2) I see telltale signs of checkerboard texture that may be an LCD inversion artifact issue -- Can you verify if your problem is related to LCD inversion or motion blur? forum thread

Before I continue to help you, let's narrow scope, and verify if your problem is related to motion blur or a different side effect;

Also, secondarily, let's make sure strobe is working rather than failing (e.g. defective ULMB). A ULMB that doesn't strobe, is an RMA warranty claim.
1. Display a big white screen (e.g. Windows Notepad) and wave your hand really fast in front of it. If ULMB is turned on, you will see stroboscopic effects.
2. Alternatively, see http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking with ULMB enabled. Look at the 2nd UFO. Do you see vertical lines (similiar to while staring at UFO #1) or a more solid grey background? If you see very sharp vertical lines while staring at either UFO, then ULMB is working fine.
3. Can you read the street name labels at http://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png ...? If you can with ULMB turned on, then ULMB is working fine. If not, there is potentially a problem.
Sadly, i do not have the PG279Q anymore, i refunded it some months ago, but i can answer some of your questions: ULMB was working fine, it eliminated all percievable motion blur from the screen as far as i could see, the "butchering" i mentioned was the fact that i couldnt activate g-sync while it was active and the fact that it lowered the brightness of the screen a ton, i even tested it on the UFO tracker and the difference between ulmb on and off was night and day, but im just weirded out by the fact that i dont have lightboost on with this TN monitor and i dont see blur on my games but i did see it on a monitor thats only slightly slower..., but yeah i did have it on 120hz with ULMB on.

As for the checkerboard thing, i didnt see anything of the sort that looks like the pictures on the thread you linked(unless the blurring i saw was the checkerboard thing you mentioned), just when i moved, its like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen and made everything blurry, i even tried Extreme overdrive and the blur was diminished a bit but it was still there(i didnt notice any overshoot though in videogames, thats weird).

Does this help? Lemme know if im misunderstanding something(im unfamiliar with monitor tech except the advantages and disadvantages of each type, tn/va/ips, so im sorry if im missing something).

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 13 Apr 2019, 22:29

Maybe you got what I call the "IPS effect"?

I ask this because when I try/use an IPS monitor I immediatly get shocked at its response time. I am so used to CRTs and TNs for years, that IPS is completly unusable to me. And I don´t even need to go to games! I notice IPS blur immediatly on the windows desktop, even mouse pointer dragging around! To me it is impossible to use IPS. In games is just painful, the image loses all its sharpness and definition once I have moving objects. I did some side to side comparasions about TN vs IPS and on the TN panel it was like it had double resolution when moving the camera, that´s how bad IPS is to me.

Now, I don´t know if this is what happened to you, but is possible. I refuse to use IPS. I can deal with VA as long as I make the screen really bright, because VA struggles more on dark colours. Still slower than TN, but not to the point of being unnaceptable to me, while IPS is.

Nhadala

Post by Nhadala » 14 Apr 2019, 04:32

Notty_PT wrote:Maybe you got what I call the "IPS effect"?

I ask this because when I try/use an IPS monitor I immediatly get shocked at its response time. I am so used to CRTs and TNs for years, that IPS is completly unusable to me. And I don´t even need to go to games! I notice IPS blur immediatly on the windows desktop, even mouse pointer dragging around! To me it is impossible to use IPS. In games is just painful, the image loses all its sharpness and definition once I have moving objects. I did some side to side comparasions about TN vs IPS and on the TN panel it was like it had double resolution when moving the camera, that´s how bad IPS is to me.

Now, I don´t know if this is what happened to you, but is possible. I refuse to use IPS. I can deal with VA as long as I make the screen really bright, because VA struggles more on dark colours. Still slower than TN, but not to the point of being unnaceptable to me, while IPS is.
You make a good point, but the PG279Q is almost just as fast as a TN is in terms of response time.

I just want to figure out if the issue was the models i got from amazon(defective or whatever), my own eyes, the panel manufacturer(AUO),type (IPS, even tho its unlikely) or whatever it may be, i want to upgrade this monitor but i dont want to make the same mistake, i just need to find the source of the problem first.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Apr 2019, 10:56

Trust me, it isnt any near TN levels, doesnt matter what people tell you. IPS always has a different behaviour with moving objects, due to the tecgnology, even if you see similar numbers on a review.

Also, at 144hz/165hz you are already pushing the limits for IPS, wixh makes it even worse. You might get away as a 60hz user with an IPS, because persistence is 16,6ms anyway.

Imo you didnt get any defective sample, you are just as sensitive as I am to blur.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Apr 2019, 11:14

Notty_PT wrote:Trust me, it isnt any near TN levels, doesnt matter what people tell you. IPS always has a different behaviour with moving objects, due to the tecgnology, even if you see similar numbers on a review.

Also, at 144hz/165hz you are already pushing the limits for IPS, wixh makes it even worse. You might get away as a 60hz user with an IPS, because persistence is 16,6ms anyway.
Uhm, that's not true. 144Hz IPS is such a huge difference from 60Hz IPS, it's night and day, exactly like 60Hz TN vs 144Hz TN. Please don't spread misinformation. Thank you :)

(I own both 144Hz TN and 165Hz IPS monitors.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Apr 2019, 13:15

Of course, at 144hz motion clarity will always improve, but you are on the limits of IPS technology already. And a good/proper TN 144hz offers a way better motion clarity than IPS. I can´t look at an IPS panel, simply put. I tried several and always ended up giving up quickly. Is like I lose resolution everytime I move around/moving objects. No comparasion on image definition, unless is a static image!

Nhadala

Post by Nhadala » 14 Apr 2019, 16:08

Im not sure if i should post a new thread or not so ill post here.

Ive been eyeing the CHG70 for a while now, its strobing tech, as far as ive googled, is really, really good, is it excellent enough to eliminate motion blur without introducing other negative side effects(when using extreme on the pg279q i didnt notice overshoot)? Ive read stuff about smearing, but ive also read that the strobing of samsung offsets that.