Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, Gsync Broken

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Darktalon

Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, Gsync Broken

Post by Darktalon » 03 Apr 2019, 17:39

Hello, I've been completely unable to get gsync to run in either of these games, both in full screen or full screen windowed, with full screen optimizations on or off (which normally fixes my dx9 games). In fact vsync will not work in full screen mode if gsync is turned on, but will work in full screen windowed if I force on in nvidia and set it on in game. Doesn't matter if I turn indicator on or off, I've tried many different combos, and gsync just won't work. I have windows 10, v 1809.

jorimt

Re: Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, Gsync Broken

Post by jorimt » 04 Apr 2019, 08:39

I just launched Borderlands 2 (FSO enabled for exe) in exclusive fullscreen mode with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC ("On") + in-game 120 FPS limit, and G-SYNC is working as intended.

I have Windows Game Mode enabled, Game bar and Game DVR disabled. I don't run overlays, GeForce experience, Shadowplay, etc. And I rarely even have Afterburner/RTSS running; I only had Steam (without in-game overlay, and from desktop, not Big Picture) and the game running.

I'm guessing some sort of background process, system-level option, and/or in-game overlay is interfering with G-SYNC functionality in that game on your specific configuration.

Have you tried disabling all extra background processes and overlays (same goes for things like ReShade), and launching from Steam desktop mode when testing this?

Also, is this happening in any other games, what method are you using to test if G-SYNC is functioning (NVCP indicator, monitor light, monitor's built-in refresh rate meter), and is your monitor a FreeSync monitor in G-SYNC Compatible mode or a genuine G-SYNC model with a hardware module?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

open

Post by open » 07 Apr 2019, 08:47

it works for me. stock windows 10 install on a new computer. vsync off in nvcp. gsync enabled for fullscreen only. game appears to run in full windowed because notifications and overlays are showing up. but then again the latest windows 10 versions treat fullscreen weirdly. i wish we could just have regular fullscreen exclusive back. the game feels like it has extra input lag. not to mention the network lag.

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 12 Apr 2019, 21:43

Hello, I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you. I have my setup the exact same as you, except I set in game fps to unlimited, as it shows that even v-sync is broken.

Even though I have FSO enabled for the exe, it does not show the volume overlay, so it shows that it is really stuck in Exclusive Fullscreen, instead of optimized. Just like you I have Windows Game Mode enabled, Game bar and Game DVR disabled. I have tested with zero overlays, including the steam one disabled, and ran from desktop. I usually ONLY have RTSS on, but I even closed RTSS to test if that would help and it didn't.

The only two games I have seen this exact behavior is Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, but I also haven't played a lot of DX9 titles lately. My method to test g-sync is, my monitor has an overlay that tells me the exact frame rate its refreshing at, and if g-sync works I can see this move up and down, I have also used the gsync indicator turned on and off to test, as thats another overlay, and I can tell with RTSS that gsync and vsync are broken due to running at 300 fps at main menu despite being enabled. If I set game to full screen windowed, the vsync works again, but still no gsync ability.

My monitor is 34GK950F, and yes, it is a Freesync monitor, but it works perfectly in all other games as g-sync. I really feel that for some reason because the game is stuck in Exclusive Fullscreen (No overlays will appear such as volume), the FSO is not working properly in these two particular games.

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 12 Apr 2019, 21:55

WELL I figured it out, and I'm partially an idiot, but also partially can't understand why stuff works like that. If you have the game launcher set to disable fullscreen optimizations, and the game set to enable them, the launcher still forces the game to be disabled. Back before FSO was working properly, I mass disabled it on all my exe (Also had SLI then too). Now that FSO actually works and is necessary for DX9 + G-sync, I have been enabling them by hand per game.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 12 Apr 2019, 22:04

Ah, good back-tracing, tricky. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

And don't feel too bad; FSO is not a straightforward setting and has perplexing, sometimes seemingly random effects (I had to disable it for Sekiro recently, else it would force the game to 60Hz/60 FPS instead of 144Hz/60 FPS with G-SYNC enabled). Definitely a per game setting still.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)