Frame Skipping Question [Tearing during frameskipping]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
YaWutMate

Frame Skipping Question [Tearing during frameskipping]

Post by YaWutMate » 31 Mar 2019, 23:20

Eh i have a VIOTEK GN35DR 35" Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitor, 144Hz, 21:9,

and i'm currently testing overclocking on it and frame skips. I've noticed in my photos some of the boxes aren't filled in all the way or are darker than others. this doesn't always happen most of the time its a smooth gradient.

Does anyone have the know how to splain me real good?

also photo is to large to post here so i'ma improvise. ▆▆▅▄▆▇▂▁▇▇▄▂ hopefully this will do some justice

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Frame Skipping Question [Tearing during frameskipping]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2019, 10:53

That's tearing artifact. The monitor is tearing. (as if the monitor decided to run in VSYNC OFF mode when overclocked).

Someone else posted something similar:

This is typically considered an overclock fail.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

juniperbug

Post by juniperbug » 19 Apr 2019, 17:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:That's tearing artifact. The monitor is tearing. (as if the monitor decided to run in VSYNC OFF mode when overclocked).

Someone else posted something similar:

This is typically considered an overclock fail.
Is a similar result expected running a monitor at 240hz (non-oc) without any form of vsync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2019, 16:37

juniperbug wrote:Is a similar result expected running a monitor at 240hz (non-oc) without any form of vsync?
If you use a web browser in VSYNC OFF mode, the same problem will happen.

But you will get a yellow warning message in the middle of the screen if the browser detects that browser VSYNC is disabled (a very high and varying framerate).

If the refresh rate is perfectly detected (green READY) but you're still getting tearing, then the tearing is on the monitor hardware side, rather than on the GPU side. It's not possible for the browser to detect monitor-side tearing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!