Dell AW2518HF Frame-skipping Test. Is this normal?

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
steel116

Dell AW2518HF Frame-skipping Test. Is this normal?

Post by steel116 » 28 Apr 2019, 15:34

Hello everyone,

i wanted to ask you if this is normal that on some photos i can get a "gap" during frame-skipping test. Some of them are straight, in some of the captured photos with my phone i can see some gaps in between - like it depends on the perfect time of making a photo. But If there are lines, they are usually straight/clear without gaps. Is this good? no frame-skipping issue?

Link to pictures: https://imgur.com/a/WoFiKuL

Monitor: Dell AlienWare AW2518HF [240hz]

Monitor is set to: G-Sync Compatible via Nvidia and Super Fast Response time (the fastest available)

thanks a lot for help. im going crazy about this:O

@EDIT:

I downloaded random Camera from Google Play (mobile app store) and set ISO to :auto: - since if i changed that to anything else (the lowest is 100 up to 800 value) then i could only see like 1 block/1 square moving or only couple of blocks/squares.

This is what it looks like in fullscreen of this test:

https://imgur.com/a/LrIlH37

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Dell AW2518HF Frame-skipping Test. Is this normal?

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2019, 03:34

Looks perfect to me. The test lights up the boxes left to right, top to bottom, so the gap you circled is perfectly normal because once the rightmost box has been lit, it goes to the next line in the leftmost box.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 30 Apr 2019, 14:19

RealNC wrote:Looks perfect to me. The test lights up the boxes left to right, top to bottom, so the gap you circled is perfectly normal because once the rightmost box has been lit, it goes to the next line in the leftmost box.
Thanks a lot for response, anything i should consider to test furthermore?

Its my 8th unit of Dell AW2518HF. I seeked through so many units... mostly because before all of them had unnaceptable backlight bleeding (yeah on TN panel) that was annoying me. I bought right now monitor from different shop/seller and its almost perfect. So going to keep it, but im checking to be sure if everything is ok.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2019, 17:31

It's calendar-style sequence. Pretend the grid is like a weird, large calendar (with extremely long weeks bigger than 7 days long, and with many weeks in a month). Left to right, top to bottom. If there's no "calendar-style gaps", you're good!

So, thusly....

Yes, your photographs are correctly taken and there is no frame skipping.

And the more squares the better, because the longer the exposure, the more refresh cycles are captured, and you can more easily determine frameskipping.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!