Fastest 240 Hz Monitor for E-Sports, CS:GO, Apex etc?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: Fastest 240 Hz Monitor for E-Sports, CS:GO, Apex etc?

Post by Notty_PT » 28 Apr 2019, 14:22

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
XanderBaatz wrote:How good is the input lag and blur reduction (overdrive) on lower refresh rates like 165 hz, 144 Hz, 120 Hz?
Notty_PT wrote:Input lag at 144hz or any other refresh rate with DisplayPort is slow. With HDMI 2.0 it is fast, so you would need to switch cables.
Chief Blur Buster said there are some 240hz monitors that have increased input lag at 60/120/144 refresh rates even with displayport.
Yes most of them do. Not the case with XG248Q and XG258Q. XG248Q has good input lag across all refresh rates with both DP and HDMI 2.0 connections XG258Q has the lowest input lag at 240hz with DP, high at 144hz with DP, good with HDMI 2.0
XanderBaatz wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:
XanderBaatz wrote:@Notty_PT can I ask you one last question about the XG258Q please?
How good is the input lag and blur reduction (overdrive) on lower refresh rates like 165 hz, 144 Hz, 120 Hz?

I am asking cause' I can't currently sustain 240 fps in all games, because my hardware isn't strong enough (GTX 1070 TI, i7-6700k), and I'd like to lower the refresh rate in some games.
Input lag at 144hz or any other refresh rate with DisplayPort is slow. With HDMI 2.0 it is fast, so you would need to switch cables.

However, as I said on other topics, this monitor works very well with a 120fps cap + 240hz refresh rate, the overdrive stays consistent and that´s how I am using it on games where framerate is impossible to keep at 200fps+. Apex, Battlefield, Black Ops, Quake Champions, etc.
Is it like really significant or is it just a little bit?
How do you think the input lag is on 144 Hz compared to a regular 144 Hz monitor?
No! Is very very noticeable. You will notice the increased input lag instantly, your mouse will feel floaty even on windows. It is way slower than other 144hz models. Unless you use HDMI 2.0 connection, on that case the input lag is gone (don´t ask me why).
theangryregulator wrote:@Notty_PT do you now favor the XG258Q over the XG2402 as your main display?
I´m still using both, but you know I like to base my preferences on facts. So far I beat all my personal records on the XG258Q so I´m using it a lot lately. However I still hate the 24,5 size and I struggle with it if I play for more than 2 hours. My desk is pretty large and I already have the monitor really far away, still not liking it. I really wish companies would stop doing monitors bigger than 24 for competitive gaming. I used 23 inches for years (LG w2363d 120hz monitor) and I absolutely love that size.

On that regard the XG248Q is amazing because it isn´t even a 24 inch panel, it is 23,8. No eye strain at all.

This is the only reason why I still don´t know if I will keep the XG258Q as my main, but is hard to get rid from the monitor where I got better personal records. Its input lag is crazy low, that thing is so snappy. Asus Game Fast Input technology is just amazing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2019, 19:01

XanderBaatz wrote:Is it like really significant or is it just a little bit?
How do you think the input lag is on 144 Hz compared to a regular 144 Hz monitor?
Certain 240Hz monitors have to buffer lower-Hz because their panels are at fixed scanrate to do a top-to-bottom scanout in 1/240sec. So to do 144Hz, it has to scan-convert the incoming signal to temporally space out the 1/240sec scanouts. That can add about 1-2ms extra latency going from 240Hz->144Hz, and ~6ms extra latency going quarter refresh rate from 240Hz->60Hz.

(There's a latency gradient effect where top edge of screen gets more lag than the bottom edge whenever buffered scan conversion is occuring, because of the buffer of a slow-scan input for scanout to a fast-scan-only panel. Without even needing to do measurements, the mathematics of scan-conversion is simple/pure -- screen TOP/CENTER/BOTTOM gets a +12ms/+6ms/+0ms latency adder when use a 240Hz-synchronous-scanout panel with a 60Hz input -- this is mathematically screen TOP equalling +(1/60sec - 1/240sec) lag modifier, screen MIDDLE equalling +(0.5/60sec - 0.5/240sec) lag modifier.... BOTTOM = No lag penalty modifier, as the scanout meets between the cable and the panel.)

However, from what I heard, the XG248Q is horizontal scanrate multi-sync (but clarification: not sure about the XG258Q....) though I have not personally verified this (yet).

Another workaround is to use large vertical totals for 144Hz (to do a quick-frame-transport of a 144Hz refresh cycle in 1/240sec on the cable) but that's an advanced user trick on Custom Resolution Utility tweaking...

So, the recommendation to use a lower refresh rate on a high-Hz monitor is not ideal for a lot of 240Hz monitors -- it's fine if a few milliseconds lag isn't important but in the competitive paid money esports I understand that it is anathema.... So, for the most part, stay at 240Hz even when using 144fps.

Now, if you want blur reduction, the XL2546 has currently the lowest-lag motion blur reduction ability at the moment. It depends on how important motion blur reduction is to you currently.

That said, ELMB vs DyAc is likely only a <1ms difference, so a safe bet might be the XG248Q if you need to check the boxes you wrote in this thread including the ability to use lower Hz without adding lag. I like the XL2546 for other reasons, though, but the XG248Q is one hella fast panel. You get ELMB too. And you get FreeSync too, which can still be useful competitively in certain highly-erratic framerate games where the stutter-smoothing ability of FreeSync can potentially help aiming. But most of the time you'll probably end up using VSYNC OFF in games like CS:GO.

P.S. To support Blur Busters, buy via the lists below:
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Lagger

Post by Lagger » 30 Apr 2019, 11:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:That said, ELMB vs DyAc is likely only a <1ms difference, so a safe bet might be the XG248Q if you need to check the boxes you wrote in this thread including the ability to use lower Hz without adding lag. I like the XL2546 for other reasons, though, but the XG248Q is one hella fast panel. You get ELMB too. And you get FreeSync too, which can still be useful competitively in certain highly-erratic framerate games where the stutter-smoothing ability of FreeSync can potentially help aiming. But most of the time you'll probably end up using VSYNC OFF in games like CS:GO.

P.S. To support Blur Busters, buy via the lists below:
Hi.

Under your experience, what is the best 144Hz and 240Hz monitor for fast response games (Apex, BF, CS, Quake), mounting a AMD GPU?

On the other hand, why do you prefer the XL2546? Around here they say that you have one of the worst overdrive, do you share the same opinion?

A greeting.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 02 May 2019, 07:34

I´m still using both, but you know I like to base my preferences on facts. So far I beat all my personal records on the XG258Q so I´m using it a lot lately. However I still hate the 24,5 size and I struggle with it if I play for more than 2 hours. My desk is pretty large and I already have the monitor really far away, still not liking it. I really wish companies would stop doing monitors bigger than 24 for competitive gaming. I used 23 inches for years (LG w2363d 120hz monitor) and I absolutely love that size.

On that regard the XG248Q is amazing because it isn´t even a 24 inch panel, it is 23,8. No eye strain at all.

This is the only reason why I still don´t know if I will keep the XG258Q as my main, but is hard to get rid from the monitor where I got better personal records. Its input lag is crazy low, that thing is so snappy. Asus Game Fast Input technology is just amazing.
Does the gsync version PG258Q have any advantages over this version, like better overdrive or anything else?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 05 May 2019, 01:00

theangryregulator wrote:

Does the gsync version PG258Q have any advantages over this version, like better overdrive or anything else?
PG258Q is way worse than XG258Q in my personal opinion. From now on I have to note that 99% of what I say is personal so people don´t take it as the universal truth!

When I had PG258Q i noticed strange picture behaviours like this example, wich wasn´t even me posting it!

Also PG258Q is slower than a lot of other 240hz monitors like even the AlienWare AW2518HF, and defo wayyyy slower than both the XG25 and the XG24.

The big PG258Q advantage is the overdrive, it has prolly the best pixel response time/overdrive from all the 240hz I tested, when Gsync is activated (it is a gsync monitor). But it is far from my personal picks for competitive gaming, and you know when we buy a 240hz monitor we want it to be fast, not to be "pretty".

As for 24,5 inches, I still don´t like that size.
One of the big advantages with the XG258Q is that it keeps a good overdrive if you lock fps to 120fps @ 240hz, so that´s what I´m doing in games where I can´t reach 200fps+.

This thing is expensive tho, here in Europe the cheapest I seen was 440€, and that´s A LOT of money for a 1080p 24,5 monitor, but hey, if you want to be competitive, nothing beats this and I think my XG2402 is finally dethroned.

I´m waiting for Rtings to review this model, because I am sure we will see a new low input lag record with this thing. I am 100% sure. If XG2402 is rated 4,1ms and Benq XL2540 240hz 3,7ms, I don´t expect more than 3ms on this Asus XG258Q, maybe even lower.

On an added note, if you ever need to connect a console to XG25, don´t do it, get another monitor! This thing is awful at 60hz. The overdrive is unnaceptable at 60hz and the input lag is very high at 60hz aswell. This is a pure 240hz monitor, wasn´t optimized to anything else.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 05 May 2019, 06:56

Thanks again for your input Notty - It's that fast eh? You've peeked my interest - I might acquire one to see this for myself :shock:.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 05 May 2019, 15:33

theangryregulator wrote:Thanks again for your input Notty - It's that fast eh? You've peeked my interest - I might acquire one to see this for myself :shock:.
It is very fast! Someone that doesn´t notice it straight away on windows desktop shouldn´t even be playing FPS games online :D Let´s put it that way eheh

Have fun and let me know how you like it.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 09 May 2019, 12:42

Hey Notty I received the XG258Q today,

First impressions - Wow the image looks like ass straight out of the box. A few adjustments later it doesn't look that bad actually but not a patch on the XG2402 colours. 1080p on this screen doesn't look as sharp, it kind of looks stretched out a bit. I think the image might of improved as it warmed up :shock:.

Gaming - I didn't really expect a big difference but I think Fortnite, Quake Champions and Overwatch feel completely different on 240hz/this screen. I'm finding it much easier to flick and track enemies as the motion and responsiveness is smooth and crisp.

More impressions later.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 10 May 2019, 03:29

Notty_PT wrote: Someone that doesn´t notice it straight away on windows desktop shouldn´t even be playing FPS games online :D
If your wish is fulfilled, you will become an average player. And maybe below average.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 10 May 2019, 05:15

1000WATT wrote:
Notty_PT wrote: Someone that doesn´t notice it straight away on windows desktop shouldn´t even be playing FPS games online :D
If your wish is fulfilled, you will become an average player. And maybe below average.
What you mean? Didnt get it :D