G-SYNC Monitor 165hz and Games with 60FPS

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
flaviobr

G-SYNC Monitor 165hz and Games with 60FPS

Post by flaviobr » 08 May 2019, 07:44

Hi. I bought a g-sync monitor recently 165hz overclocked. My system is an I7 8700 + RTX 2080 + 16GB DD4 2666. I have some doubts and thank you very much to anyone who can help me. My settings are: G-SYNC ON + V-SYNC ON on the NVIDIA control panel. In games like BFV and SOTTR, the images are perfect and smooth as they should be. It so happens that in games like Pro Evolution Soccer 2019, The Witcher 3, that huge amount of frames does not matter so much, I try to reduce the amount of FPS to 60 in RTSS. However, when applying this setting the game displays micro-locked. The game only gets "playable" by applying the 140 fps limit. Less than that, it has crashes. Why does it happen? If this is normal, every time I play a game at 60 fps do I have to reduce the monitor update in the control panel?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC Monitor 165hz and Games with 60FPS

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2019, 16:24

Some games use frame pacing logic that sometimes interferes with driver frame pacing logic.

To reduce the odds of race conditions with conflicting frame pacing -- make sure the game is configured to VSYNC OFF while NVIDIA Control Panel is configured to GSYNC + VSYNC ON. However, a few select games may function somewhat better with a VSYNC ON in-game configuration. Most games function better with VRR displays when you configure the game to VSYNC OFF.

That said, some poorly designed framepacing logic will just severely conflict with driver-based frame pacing.

Also, where possible for VRR (GSYNC/FreeSync) frame rate limiting, try to use an in-game framerate limiter instead of RTSS-based framerate limiter.

RTSS-based framerate limiter works better when you need tighter tolerances (e.g. <1fps differentials for non-VRR Low-Lag VSYNC ON), but an in-game framerate cap works better for VRR framerate limiting.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!